You can release ONE previously unreleased track. Which one do you choose?

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
Let's do a hypothetical :)

You're temporarily given the role of Estate co-executor. Branca and McClain tell you that, with the COVID-19 scare essentially shutting the world down, they want to drop a previously unreleased song, and you're in charge of choosing. The only criteria is that the song you choose cannot be available in any format -- that means, leaked songs (e.g., "Days in Gloucestershire," "Serious Effect") and demo/alternate cuts of previously released songs (e.g., "Beautiful Girl," "We've Had Enough") do not qualify.

Essentially, you're taking a shot in the dark.
So, what song do you choose?

Personally, I'd go with "I Have This Dream" (assuming there is a demo with a working solo vocal). John Barnes has heaped glowing praise on that song, and right now, a song about hope is something the world could use. If that doesn't work though, I'd probably go with "Chicago 1945."

"Can't Get Your Weight Off of Me"

I've been waiting for that one to leak for years. I believe that Darkchild produced it, and I love his industrial-pop sound on those first 3 Invincible tracks (as well as the original version of Xscape).

100% „Adore You“. I am so curious about that one. Hopefully it has proper vocals...

Innocent Man, if it was recorded.

Otherwise, one of the tracks from 2006-09.

Very good question, I'd be so nervous to take a shot in the dark but I'd go for Buffalo Bill, because Michael himself said he thought it would be a good one.
I think I'd be too nervous to pick a post trial track in case it had no vocals

I'm curious about Buffalo Bill though because it never seems to be mentioned really by the fans and it was started around the same time as Liberian Girl (I think Mike even name drops it in the same interview as he mentions Buffalo Bill) I'd just be curious to see what direction he was heading in, in that point in time

One of the tracks that are supposedly unlike anything we've ever heard for example "rocker"
Mostly because I'm very skeptical to hype but as it is in human nature my curiosity is peaking

Great post.

There has never been a better time to release an MJ song. I'm certain if they got it right it would be a smash.

‘Chicago 1945’

Steve Porcaro did not want to have it been remixed & pulled it out of contention for Xscape (2014).
It’s a completely finished track with complete vocals, as all tracks considered for the Xscape project were, which there were 24 of.

Still at least 16 complete enough songs for release.

I could never choose just one, but in this scenario, it would be Throwing Your Life Away, if that counts.

Tough to only choose one. Buffalo Bill and Chicago 1945 would have to top my list. Peak MJ era.

Buffalo Bill, recorded for the Victory & BAD sessions & was expected for the Victory album, many people around Jackson were given a preview of the track's close-to-finish version & gave nothing but praises to the track, expecting another hit. However, nothing materialized from the track & it missed both albums.

Tough to only choose one. Buffalo Bill and Chicago 1945 would have to top my list. Peak MJ era.

Same here. I would definitely choose a track from the 1983 - 1988 period. Buffalo Bill and Chicago 1945 came first to mind.

Perhaps, there are other completely finished demos from that period whose titles are still unknown to the public.

I would definitely choose a track from the 1983 - 1988 period. Buffalo Bill and Chicago 1945 came first to mind.

Yes same here,and the Men In Black track as that one should be a finished song.
According to many it was included on a extreme rare promo given to 10 Sony bosses.

Hot Fun In The Summertime. Heard the vocals are great and was in contention for the Xscape album. Could be a potential hit if released.

Hands down my votes go towards "Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me" or "Man In Black". Those are two of the most elusive MJ unreleased tracks,with one barely having enough snippets to get a general idea of what the song sounds like (CGYW) and the other finally receiving a sample after 25+ years (MIB).

No one knows how many unrelease songs are left. they said most of them are unfinished. but i'm pretty sure there got to be a few left. I think that what AaronReturn2005 meant.

even if we do get unrelease songs that unfinished we won't really know how Michael really want it. so i kind of agree AaronReturn2005. I wouldn't say they won't be good but not as good if they were done with Michael.

AmitLal92;4285773 said:
Hot Fun In The Summertime. Heard the vocals are great and was in contention for the Xscape album. Could be a potential hit if released.

Fans are not really interested in a possible, posthumous release of the ‘Hot Fun In The Summertime’ song.

The reason is that Michael Jackson sings very few lines on that song, and they filled the many missing vocal parts with the vocals from other artists who lent their voices to the song (such as, Mary J. Blige, D'Angelo).

Dunk96;4286063 said:
Hands down my votes go towards "Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me" or "Man In Black". Those are two of the most elusive MJ unreleased tracks,with one barely having enough snippets to get a general idea of what the song sounds like (CGYW) and the other finally receiving a sample after 25+ years (MIB).

According to some people who heard ‘Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me’, the song sounds a lot like the first three tracks of the ‘Invincible’ album.

AlwaysThere;4286086 said:
Bryan Loren says that a finished version exists, but the chorus-only version is the only one we've heard.

It is not just Bryan Loren who said that.

Adrian Grant also heard a finished version of the ‘Men In Black’ song, too.

Adrian Grant described Michael Jackson’s vocals on that song as amazing.

Bill Bottrell also heard a finished version of the ‘Men In Black’ song, and he described it as a cool song.

Back