The Jackson Five in Venezuela video

JichaelMackson

Proud Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W5q3G_f_tg

It states here that it is 1977 but that must be impossible. I can't imagine "one day in your life", "body language" and "happy" to still be on the setlist by 1977.
I checked the jacksondynasty website and the only time they were in Venezuela was in 1974 but that can't be right either as "one day in your life" and "body language" wasn't released yet back then.
Also to take into account this concert seemed to be similar to the "live in Mexico" show in 1975 where the finale is "body language" while pulling girls up the stage to dance with the band.

So what are your thoughts about this?

PS the spare footage of this concert and the abysmal sound can't hide how wonderful MJ was back then, ODIYL and happy is absolutely stunningly sung, I also love the orchestra behind the J5

So I found more info about this event and it did take place 26 February 1977. It was MJ's only appearance in Venezuela. It was also not a full concert (this set was only roughly 30min long) but part of a tv show. It took place here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poliedro_de_Caracas. Mj was to do a second concert here in 93 but that got cancelled.
Following songs were played "one day on your life", "happy", "I'll be there", "dancing machine", "body language", "enjoy yourself" (probably first ever live performance) and " just a little bit of you".
All but the last 2 songs can be found on YouTube.

I think this must be their first performance without Jermaine (?). About 2 months later they would embark on a small European tour, playing in some Western European countries. I presume most of the songs performed here would still be in this setlist, would love to find more about it.

This tv show was broadcast since 1971 with a famous Venezuelan presentator (Amador Bendayan) and often included national and international acts, mostly these would be playback shows but the Jacksons show was done fully live.

More comments include how professional and sympathetic and soft spoken MJ was according to the concert promotor (Phil Rodriguez), he also said it was remarkable how he exploded once MJ got to perform on stage, he had never seen such a transformation from shy and friendly to a full blown entertainer.

For those interested here is the link in French, including a photo of a ticket for the evening and photos of MJ in an amusement park in Caracas (capital of Venezuela)with Samm Brown (writer of "one day in your life" and on the road with the Jacksons for 4 years) who he woke up very early to ask him to go to the amusement park with him because nobody else wanted to go.
http://www.onmjfootsteps.com/archives/2015/02/05/31466202.html

PS My French isn't perfect but this is roughly what the article said.
PS2 In my original post I said that the J5 were already in Venezuela in 74 but according to this article 77 was his first and only Venezuelan appearance so I reckon jacksondynasty.net is wrong about this
PS3 I adore his performances here and also the backing band (whoever they are) are fantastic, really delicately played with lots of emotion. I think I never saw MJ better than he is here as weird as that may sound.

Last edited:
Back