Michael Jackson & L.A. Gear (The Detail)

Electro

Proud Member
Interesting summary of the MJ & LA Gear story by The Detail:

And while we're at it...

LA-Gear-shoes-designed-by-Michael-Jackson-michael-jackson-33571660-1580-2275.jpg

Michael-Jackson-LA-Gear-90s-Metallic-Silver-Unstoppable-Vintage-T-Shirt-Mint-Starwear-Status-com.jpg

Did any of you own / wear these shoes? Nice collectibles, but I always found them a little too ugly to wear...
biggrin.gif

I know the shoes don't look that great, but if these were ever to be released again I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Wasn't there also a limited new edition of those MJ sneakers some years ago?
Just a vague memory. Probably after Michael died(?)

What's also interesting (at least to me now) is that this commercial with Michael dancing in a dark street actually came out in late 1990 long BEFORE the Black or White short film.
boah.gif
It always seemed the other way round... the commercial referencing the outro of BoW.

LA Times story about the commercial from August 1990:
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-08-06-fi-189-story.html

Last edited:
Wasn't there also a limited new edition of those MJ sneakers some years ago?
Just a vague memory. Probably after Michael died(?)

What's also interesting (at least to me now) is that this commercial with Michael dancing in a dark street actually came out in late 1990 long BEFORE the Black or White short film.
boah.gif
It always seemed the other way round... the commercial referencing the outro of BoW.

LA Times story about the commercial from August 1990:
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-08-06-fi-189-story.html

For sure. That is predecessor to the panther dance and all likelihood it's inspiration.

Pfft! How could yous think they’re ugly? They’re not ugly to me, I love how it was designed. I’d buy those.

PoP;4285451 said:
Pfft! How could yous think they’re ugly? They’re not ugly to me, I love how it was designed. I’d buy those.

I love them too, I don't think they're ugly at all

So what was the settlement? Who had to pay damages to who? By watching that video, it seems that MJ did brake the contract. Does anyone know how this was resolved? Did MJ had to pay them and what amount?

So what was the settlement? Who had to pay damages to who? By watching that video, it seems that MJ did brake the contract. Does anyone know how this was resolved? Did MJ had to pay them and what amount?

It probably was not made public how exactly they settled out of court.

Tyga began to work with LA Gear and planned to re-release Billie Jean shoe but nothing ever came of it.

He re-designed it and posted it on Instagram in 2014.

I had those shoes till my mum threw them out years ago

It's sad to know that people didn't like them much. maybe they came out alittle bit too early. they look cool to me. I think today people would like them. Michael was always ahead of his time.

I think they did reboot them back after Michael passing. I think they call the moonwalk shoe. somewhere 2014 I think. by an artist who is a MJ fan. if they could reboot these shoes i would buy them in a heartbeat.

I had a pair of LA GEARS and proudly wore them. Contrary to what I read here, back in the 80s, those shoes were absolutely THE best stuff to have. All my friends were in awe after seeing BAD video and we were dying to find similar outfits. LA GEAR made it possible for us.
Around the same time, similar fashion was promoted by the band BROS with torn jeans and similar shoes. So it was quite in back then.

Mm, early panther dance indeed. I see that. I think you'll just have to, ahem, give in to him. It's the only way.
At the end of the panther dance though, when he smiles at the girl, OH BOY...I can't watch that again today. I just can't lol.

Back