Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do we compare Michael with other artists? like beyonce? justin bieber? Prince? etc?

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 771 Posts

Question Why do we compare Michael with other artists? like beyonce? justin bieber? Prince? etc?

There's been something been bothering me and really gets on my nerves.

why do we always compare Michael with other artists? Michael was his own person and had his own things. why do we really need compare everyone with Michael?

Let other artists do their own thing whatever we like them or not and let's stop comparing people. Michael will always be an legend.

but sadly he not with us anymore. records will be broken some days. we all gonna die some day.

i love Michael and a fan but let's be real. Michael can't always be on top all the time. more and more artists gonna come up and probably pass Michael some day and Michael knew this too. he didn't care. awards meant nothing to him in the first place. people enjoying his music and making them happy what he really liked and want it.

we need to be real face that fact. he always be an legend.

Please do not trash other artists in this thread even if you don't like them. this is a no hate thread.
    Last edited by NatureCriminal7896; 21-04-2020 at 12:14 PM.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Why do we compare Michael with other artists? like beyonce? justin bieber? Prince? etc?

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    Why do we compare Michael with other artists? like beyonce? justin bieber? Prince? etc?
    How do you even dare?

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    Please do not trash other artists in this thread even if you don't like them. this is a no hate thread.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 244
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,469 Times in 1,573 Posts

Default Re: Why do we compare Michael with other artists? like beyonce? justin bieber? Prince? etc?

Michael is the blue print of a great artist. Go back in the 80's, you will see the same thing done with Ralph Tranvant, El Debarge, MC Hammer, Bobby Brown, Tevin Campbell, etc compare to MJ just like these new folks are done now. Nothing new
    Mike's PYT

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terrell For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,066 Posts

Default c

Lots of artists are compared with others. Why should Mike be exempt? Rock guitarists are often compared to Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, or Eddie Van Halen. There's the "Clapton is God" thing. People compared The Beatles, The Rolling Stones & The Kinks together. I remember Tears For Fears being compared to The Beatles. Duran Duran was called The Fab 5. People said Prince got his guitar playing style from Hendrix & Carlos Santana and his look from Little Richard. Jazz pianists have been compared to Nat King Cole, Thelonious Monk, etc. I've seen the same thing for actors too. People like comparing stuff I guess.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,162 Posts

Default Re: c

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    Lots of artists are compared with others. Why should Mike be exempt? Rock guitarists are often compared to Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, or Eddie Van Halen. There's the "Clapton is God" thing. People compared The Beatles, The Rolling Stones & The Kinks together. I remember Tears For Fears being compared to The Beatles. Duran Duran was called The Fab 5. People said Prince got his guitar playing style from Hendrix & Carlos Santana and his look from Little Richard. Jazz pianists have been compared to Nat King Cole, Thelonious Monk, etc. I've seen the same thing for actors too. People like comparing stuff I guess.
    Correct. And think of the armies of metal guitarist who try to this day to jump over the bar that Yngwie Malmsteen set in the early 80’s. If I had a dime for every time someone announced the “new” Yngwie … And yet, he plays one note and you know it’s him. Some people are so unique, they can’t be surpassed. They’re in their own league.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    Correct. And think of the armies of metal guitarist who try to this day to jump over the bar that Yngwie Malmsteen set in the early 80’s. If I had a dime for every time someone announced the “new” Yngwie … And yet, he plays one note and you know it’s him. Some people are so unique, they can’t be surpassed. They’re in their own league.
    Back in the 1970s, people compared groups like The Jackson 5, The Osmonds, The Sylvers, & The Five Stairsteps to each other. I think some people feel music is like sports. One team is better than the other team. In the case of music, so and so has more hits or sold more than someone else or won more awards. So they are better. No, they just had a better promotional budget or signed to more powerful record label. But music is not sports, it's not a competition. Music can't be determined by who runs the fastest or who got the most points.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

I honestly don't get why this is such a big deal. Who cares what some people say or do?
    And btw ''we don't compare Michael to other artists''...other artists are being compared to Michael, which says a lot!

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,162 Posts

Back in the 1970s, people compared groups like The Jackson 5, The Osmonds, The Sylvers, & The Five Stairsteps to each other. I think some people feel music is like sports. One team is better than the other team. In the case of music, so and so has more hits or sold more than someone else or won more awards. So they are better. No, they just had a better promotional budget or signed to more powerful record label. But music is not sports, it's not a competition. Music can't be determined by who runs the fastest or who got the most points.
    Yup. We should acknowledge though that MJ himself was indeed very competitive. He wanted to be the greatest show on earth, and he was willing to pay the price for it, so that’s maybe part of the reason people get so competitive. He’s way out of reach for any artist currently alive, though. And I don’t think another career like his is even possible, the way the music world has changed. So it’s kind of cute to see people try to make the comparison at all.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dethorro View Post
    And btw ''we don't compare Michael to other artists''...other artists are being compared to Michael, which says a lot!
    My thoughts exactly when I saw the title.

Comparing/labeling can be funny too. Tarantino once tried to introduce Anita Mui (a great Hong Kong singer/actress) to Western audience with something like this: "Anita Mui is the Madonna of the Far East", and someone in the youtube comment section replied: "no, Madonna is the Anita Mui of the West".
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ozemouze For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 623 Posts

I don't see what the issue is. People always compare top artists of today to the top artists of the past. Michael was compared to artists of the past as well when he was on top. That is just how it is, not just in music but also in other fields. Like take basketball for example. LeBron James gets compared to Michael Jordan all the time. Greats of today are compared to greats of the past in every field. So Michael being compared to today's artists is a total non issue and not something to get offended about.

Overall activity: 98.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,044 Posts

Yes but it is different when they do it to MJ tho. It's always done with malice in a negative manner and it is always meant to knock him down a peg. And when compared to his contemporaries it is never the other way around. MJ got compared to his contemporaries but they never got compared to him. So it's not in a fair way.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dethorro View Post
    I honestly don't get why this is such a big deal. Who cares what some people say or do?
    Thank you. It’s usually not MJ fans who compare Him to other artists, it’s other artist’s fans who compare Michael to them. It’s other artist fans who tear down Michael every chance they get, because of jealousy and being insecure. . MJ fans rarely do that, except maybe the immature ones. MAture fans don’t do that childish crap. We don’t have to compare Michael to anyone. His influence and talent speaks for itself.

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

I think its only natural, for people to compare artists of any kind with another in their field. Having said that, I don't think Justin Beiber has reached the same level as Michael in any way, shape, or form. Prince, maybe - that's debatable.
    God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

The only true comparison is between Michael Jackson and Prince, and that comparison was actually being fueled also by these two artists themselves who used to compete with one another in more than one fields (and not just in their music, or in their big commercial success).

For example, part of the reason that Michael Jackson created his ‘Moonwalker’ film (1988) was because he wanted to outdo Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ film that came out few years earlier (1984).

Also in his ‘Moonwalker’ film, Michael Jackson mocks Prince when the kid that plays the little character of Michael Jackson (from the ‘BAD’ scene) expresses his strong disapproval when he hears that Bubbles wears a Prince T-shirt.

Also, part of the reason that Michael Jackson created his Neverland Ranch (around 1988) was because he wanted a similar reclusive residency place like Prince’s Paisley Park (that Prince created one or two years earlier).

Even in his very final period of his life, Michael Jackson felt competitive towards Prince because he wanted to surpass Prince’s ‘The Earth Tour: 21 Nights In London’ in the O2 arena (2007), by deciding to do more than 21 shows in that very same venue in 2009.

This comparison between these two artists was also being fuelled to a significant degree (and for many years) also by media/press.

So, unavoidably more and more people started to compare Michael Jackson and Prince.

The comparison between Michael Jackson and Beyoncé does not really make any sense, because you cannot compare a male with a female artist (but you compare Beyoncé with other successful female artists, such as with Madonna).

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    The only true comparison is between Michael Jackson and Prince, and that comparison was actually being fueled also by these two artists themselves who used to compete with one another in more than one fields (and not just in their music, or in their big commercial success).

For example, part of the reason that Michael Jackson created his ‘Moonwalker’ film (1988) was because he wanted to outdo Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ film that came out few years earlier (1984).

Also in his ‘Moonwalker’ film, Michael Jackson mocks Prince when the kid that plays the little character of Michael Jackson (from the ‘BAD’ scene) expresses his strong disapproval when he hears that Bubbles wears a Prince T-shirt.

Also, part of the reason that Michael Jackson created his Neverland Ranch (around 1988) was because he wanted a similar reclusive residency place like Prince’s Paisley Park (that Prince created one or two years earlier).

Even in his very final period of his life, Michael Jackson felt competitive towards Prince because he wanted to surpass Prince’s ‘The Earth Tour: 21 Nights In London’ in the O2 arena (2007), by deciding to do more than 21 shows in that very same venue in 2009.

This comparison between these two artists was also being fuelled to a significant degree (and for many years) also by media/press.

So, unavoidably more and more people started to compare Michael Jackson and Prince.

The comparison between Michael Jackson and Beyoncé does not really make any sense, because you cannot compare a male with a female artist (but you compare Beyoncé with other successful female artists, such as with Madonna).
    1. Michael didn’t create Moonwalker to compete with Purple Rain. Moonwalker was a promotional piece for the album, Bad. Had nothing to do with Purple Rain. Michael poked a little good natured fun at Prince in the film only because Prince had said some devious things about him in the past.
    2. I KNOW Michael had no idea he would sell out as many O2 arenas as he did. He had not toured in years, he was not promoting a new album, he had been inundated with negative press. The difference is Prince was promoting new album, giving away free albums with each purchased ticket, and no negative press.Even the promoters had no idea Michael would sell out even 10 shows. It was his sheer star power and the respect and love for Michael that caused him to sell out 50 shows in ONE CITY with no album or promotion. This is unheard of and no one else in history had ever done it before or since. It had nothing to do with outdoing Prince. The only people I have ever heard say that was the promoters after Michael’s murder. This RUMOR is being spread as if it were fact and Prince fans use it as another tool in their fanatical jealousy and hate of Michael.
    2. The comparisons were 99.9% fueled by the media. It was the media who compared Michael with every artist, even his own sister, just to tear him down.
    3. I agree that it doesn’t make sense to compare artists with each other, male or female. I think that it is childish and ignorant.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to somewhereinthedark For This Useful Post: