Why do we compare Michael with other artists? like beyonce? justin bieber? Prince? etc?

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
There's been something been bothering me and really gets on my nerves.

why do we always compare Michael with other artists? Michael was his own person and had his own things. why do we really need compare everyone with Michael?

Let other artists do their own thing whatever we like them or not and let's stop comparing people. Michael will always be an legend.

but sadly he not with us anymore. records will be broken some days. we all gonna die some day.

i love Michael and a fan but let's be real. Michael can't always be on top all the time. more and more artists gonna come up and probably pass Michael some day and Michael knew this too. he didn't care. awards meant nothing to him in the first place. people enjoying his music and making them happy what he really liked and want it.

we need to be real face that fact. he always be an legend.

Please do not trash other artists in this thread even if you don't like them. this is a no hate thread.

Last edited:
Michael is the blue print of a great artist. Go back in the 80's, you will see the same thing done with Ralph Tranvant, El Debarge, MC Hammer, Bobby Brown, Tevin Campbell, etc compare to MJ just like these new folks are done now. Nothing new

c

Lots of artists are compared with others. Why should Mike be exempt? Rock guitarists are often compared to Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, or Eddie Van Halen. There's the "Clapton is God" thing. People compared The Beatles, The Rolling Stones & The Kinks together. I remember Tears For Fears being compared to The Beatles. Duran Duran was called The Fab 5. People said Prince got his guitar playing style from Hendrix & Carlos Santana and his look from Little Richard. Jazz pianists have been compared to Nat King Cole, Thelonious Monk, etc. I've seen the same thing for actors too. People like comparing stuff I guess.

DuranDuran;4287288 said:
Lots of artists are compared with others. Why should Mike be exempt? Rock guitarists are often compared to Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, or Eddie Van Halen. There's the "Clapton is God" thing. People compared The Beatles, The Rolling Stones & The Kinks together. I remember Tears For Fears being compared to The Beatles. Duran Duran was called The Fab 5. People said Prince got his guitar playing style from Hendrix & Carlos Santana and his look from Little Richard. Jazz pianists have been compared to Nat King Cole, Thelonious Monk, etc. I've seen the same thing for actors too. People like comparing stuff I guess.

Correct. And think of the armies of metal guitarist who try to this day to jump over the bar that Yngwie Malmsteen set in the early 80’s. If I had a dime for every time someone announced the “new” Yngwie … :laughing: And yet, he plays one note and you know it’s him. Some people are so unique, they can’t be surpassed. They’re in their own league.

ScreenOrigami;4287290 said:
Correct. And think of the armies of metal guitarist who try to this day to jump over the bar that Yngwie Malmsteen set in the early 80’s. If I had a dime for every time someone announced the “new” Yngwie … :laughing: And yet, he plays one note and you know it’s him. Some people are so unique, they can’t be surpassed. They’re in their own league.
Back in the 1970s, people compared groups like The Jackson 5, The Osmonds, The Sylvers, & The Five Stairsteps to each other. I think some people feel music is like sports. One team is better than the other team. In the case of music, so and so has more hits or sold more than someone else or won more awards. So they are better. No, they just had a better promotional budget or signed to more powerful record label. But music is not sports, it's not a competition. Music can't be determined by who runs the fastest or who got the most points.

I honestly don't get why this is such a big deal. Who cares what some people say or do?
And btw ''we don't compare Michael to other artists''...other artists are being compared to Michael, which says a lot! ;)

DuranDuran;4287294 said:
Back in the 1970s, people compared groups like The Jackson 5, The Osmonds, The Sylvers, & The Five Stairsteps to each other. I think some people feel music is like sports. One team is better than the other team. In the case of music, so and so has more hits or sold more than someone else or won more awards. So they are better. No, they just had a better promotional budget or signed to more powerful record label. But music is not sports, it's not a competition. Music can't be determined by who runs the fastest or who got the most points.

Yup. We should acknowledge though that MJ himself was indeed very competitive. He wanted to be the greatest show on earth, and he was willing to pay the price for it, so that’s maybe part of the reason people get so competitive. He’s way out of reach for any artist currently alive, though. And I don’t think another career like his is even possible, the way the music world has changed. So it’s kind of cute to see people try to make the comparison at all. :)

And btw ''we don't compare Michael to other artists''...other artists are being compared to Michael, which says a lot! ;)
My thoughts exactly when I saw the title. :laughing:

Comparing/labeling can be funny too. Tarantino once tried to introduce Anita Mui (a great Hong Kong singer/actress) to Western audience with something like this: "Anita Mui is the Madonna of the Far East", and someone in the youtube comment section replied: "no, Madonna is the Anita Mui of the West". :D

I don't see what the issue is. People always compare top artists of today to the top artists of the past. Michael was compared to artists of the past as well when he was on top. That is just how it is, not just in music but also in other fields. Like take basketball for example. LeBron James gets compared to Michael Jordan all the time. Greats of today are compared to greats of the past in every field. So Michael being compared to today's artists is a total non issue and not something to get offended about.

Re: c

Yes but it is different when they do it to MJ tho. It's always done with malice in a negative manner and it is always meant to knock him down a peg. And when compared to his contemporaries it is never the other way around. MJ got compared to his contemporaries but they never got compared to him. So it's not in a fair way.

dethorro;4287301 said:
I honestly don't get why this is such a big deal. Who cares what some people say or do?

Thank you. It’s usually not MJ fans who compare Him to other artists, it’s other artist’s fans who compare Michael to them. It’s other artist fans who tear down Michael every chance they get, because of jealousy and being insecure. . MJ fans rarely do that, except maybe the immature ones. MAture fans don’t do that childish crap. We don’t have to compare Michael to anyone. His influence and talent speaks for itself.

I think its only natural, for people to compare artists of any kind with another in their field. Having said that, I don't think Justin Beiber has reached the same level as Michael in any way, shape, or form. Prince, maybe - that's debatable.

The only true comparison is between Michael Jackson and Prince, and that comparison was actually being fueled also by these two artists themselves who used to compete with one another in more than one fields (and not just in their music, or in their big commercial success).

For example, part of the reason that Michael Jackson created his ‘Moonwalker’ film (1988) was because he wanted to outdo Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ film that came out few years earlier (1984).

Also in his ‘Moonwalker’ film, Michael Jackson mocks Prince when the kid that plays the little character of Michael Jackson (from the ‘BAD’ scene) expresses his strong disapproval when he hears that Bubbles wears a Prince T-shirt.

Also, part of the reason that Michael Jackson created his Neverland Ranch (around 1988) was because he wanted a similar reclusive residency place like Prince’s Paisley Park (that Prince created one or two years earlier).

Even in his very final period of his life, Michael Jackson felt competitive towards Prince because he wanted to surpass Prince’s ‘The Earth Tour: 21 Nights In London’ in the O2 arena (2007), by deciding to do more than 21 shows in that very same venue in 2009.

This comparison between these two artists was also being fuelled to a significant degree (and for many years) also by media/press.

So, unavoidably more and more people started to compare Michael Jackson and Prince.

The comparison between Michael Jackson and Beyoncé does not really make any sense, because you cannot compare a male with a female artist (but you compare Beyoncé with other successful female artists, such as with Madonna).

mj_frenzy;4287522 said:
The only true comparison is between Michael Jackson and Prince, and that comparison was actually being fueled also by these two artists themselves who used to compete with one another in more than one fields (and not just in their music, or in their big commercial success).

For example, part of the reason that Michael Jackson created his ‘Moonwalker’ film (1988) was because he wanted to outdo Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ film that came out few years earlier (1984).

Also in his ‘Moonwalker’ film, Michael Jackson mocks Prince when the kid that plays the little character of Michael Jackson (from the ‘BAD’ scene) expresses his strong disapproval when he hears that Bubbles wears a Prince T-shirt.

Also, part of the reason that Michael Jackson created his Neverland Ranch (around 1988) was because he wanted a similar reclusive residency place like Prince’s Paisley Park (that Prince created one or two years earlier).

Even in his very final period of his life, Michael Jackson felt competitive towards Prince because he wanted to surpass Prince’s ‘The Earth Tour: 21 Nights In London’ in the O2 arena (2007), by deciding to do more than 21 shows in that very same venue in 2009.

This comparison between these two artists was also being fuelled to a significant degree (and for many years) also by media/press.

So, unavoidably more and more people started to compare Michael Jackson and Prince.

The comparison between Michael Jackson and Beyoncé does not really make any sense, because you cannot compare a male with a female artist (but you compare Beyoncé with other successful female artists, such as with Madonna).

1. Michael didn’t create Moonwalker to compete with Purple Rain. Moonwalker was a promotional piece for the album, Bad. Had nothing to do with Purple Rain. Michael poked a little good natured fun at Prince in the film only because Prince had said some devious things about him in the past.
2. I KNOW Michael had no idea he would sell out as many O2 arenas as he did. He had not toured in years, he was not promoting a new album, he had been inundated with negative press. The difference is Prince was promoting new album, giving away free albums with each purchased ticket, and no negative press.Even the promoters had no idea Michael would sell out even 10 shows. It was his sheer star power and the respect and love for Michael that caused him to sell out 50 shows in ONE CITY with no album or promotion. This is unheard of and no one else in history had ever done it before or since. It had nothing to do with outdoing Prince. The only people I have ever heard say that was the promoters after Michael’s murder. This RUMOR is being spread as if it were fact and Prince fans use it as another tool in their fanatical jealousy and hate of Michael.
2. The comparisons were 99.9% fueled by the media. It was the media who compared Michael with every artist, even his own sister, just to tear him down.
3. I agree that it doesn’t make sense to compare artists with each other, male or female. I think that it is childish and ignorant.

mj_frenzy;4287522 said:

Man enough already, this is a blatant lie. MJ had been looking at that property ever since 1983 when he first encountered the ranch during the filming of "Say Say Say". MJ had already turned the Encino house into a mini neverland way before that. Also prince wasn't the first artist to have a reclusive residency, first that comes to mind is Elvis Pressley with Graceland.

I dislike when people try to rewrite history, especially die hard prince fans. They say he wanted to do movies because prince did purple rain forgetting that he did the variety shows and Wiz and Thriller which was a short film etc. The reason michael wanted to do moonwalker was because he LOVED films and wanted to be an actor.

Last edited:
Moviefan2k4;4287502 said:
I think its only natural, for people to compare artists of any kind with another in their field. Having said that, I don't think Justin Beiber has reached the same level as Michael in any way, shape, or form. Prince, maybe - that's debatable.

NO ONE has reached the same level as Michael. It is a FACT that no one has ever reached Michael’s level as of this moment in time. It is DEBATABLE that some one may eventually reach that level in the future.IMO, I don’t think we will see that happen in our lifetime.

Themidwestcowboy;4287531 said:
Man enough already, this is a blatant lie. MJ had been looking at that property ever since 1983 when he first encountered the ranch during the filming of "Say Say Say". MJ had already turned the Encino house into a mini neverland way before that. Also prince wasn't the first artist to have a reclusive residency, first that comes to mind is Elvis Pressley with Graceland.

I dislike when people try to rewrite history, especially die hard prince fans. They say he wanted to do movies because prince did purple rain forgetting that he did the variety shows and Wiz and Thriller which was a short film etc. The reason michael wanted to do moonwalker was because he LOVED films and wanted to be an actor.

Thank you, Thank YOU, THANK YOU!! I too am sick of the LIES and people, especially Prince fans trying to rewrite history to fit THEIR agenda and narrative. Thank you for having the intelligence to speak up about this BS. I applaud every single word that you posted.Btw, this is the very reason for this so-called “competition”- fans, mostly Prince fans perpetuate this childish crap and then the media catches on to it and exploits it. Give it a rest! It’s pathetic!

Last edited:

Exactly.

I know right? who really cares.

You're right. i see this all the time and it get on my nerves. Michael was his own person. let others be who they wanna be. but he will always be an legend.

ScreenOrigami;4287302 said:
Yup. We should acknowledge though that MJ himself was indeed very competitive. He wanted to be the greatest show on earth, and he was willing to pay the price for it, so that’s maybe part of the reason people get so competitive. He’s way out of reach for any artist currently alive,

That's make a lot of sense. :clapping:

ScreenOrigami;4287302 said:
So it’s kind of cute to see people try to make the comparison at all. :)

hahahaha

Yes but it is different when they do it to MJ tho. It's always done with malice in a negative manner and it is always meant to knock him down a peg. And when compared to his contemporaries it is never the other way around. MJ got compared to his contemporaries but they never got compared to him. So it's not in a fair way.

You're right about this. Michael got some of ideas from james brown and jackie wilson. that's explains so much with the Jackson 5. he look up to both of them and other artists and people in history as well.

somewhereinthedark;4287368 said:
Thank you. It’s usually not MJ fans who compare Him to other artists, it’s other artist’s fans who compare Michael to them. It’s other artist fans who tear down Michael every chance they get, because of jealousy and being insecure. . MJ fans rarely do that, except maybe the immature ones. Mature fans don’t do that childish crap. We don’t have to compare Michael to anyone. His influence and talent speaks for itself.

:clapping:

Moviefan2k4;4287502 said:
I don't think Justin Bieber has reached the same level as Michael in any way, shape, or form. Prince, maybe - that's debatable.

He hasn't. if Justin wanna get to Michael level he has a lot of work to do. Prince was/is somewhat on Michael level but not quite. i would say he kind of was/is.

somewhereinthedark;4287528 said:
1. Michael didn’t create Moonwalker to compete with Purple Rain. Moonwalker was a promotional piece for the album, Bad. Had nothing to do with Purple Rain. Michael poked a little good natured fun at Prince in the film only because Prince had said some devious things about him in the past.

2. I KNOW Michael had no idea he would sell out as many O2 arenas as he did. He had not toured in years, he was not promoting a new album, he had been inundated with negative press. The difference is Prince was promoting new album, giving away free albums with each purchased ticket, and no negative press.Even the promoters had no idea Michael would sell out even 10 shows. It was his sheer star power and the respect and love for Michael that caused him to sell out 50 shows in ONE CITY with no album or promotion. This is unheard of and no one else in history had ever done it before or since. It had nothing to do with outdoing Prince. The only people I have ever heard say that was the promoters after Michael’s murder. This RUMOR is being spread as if it were fact and Prince fans use it as another tool in their fanatical jealousy and hate of Michael.

3.The comparisons were 99.9% fueled by the media. It was the media who compared Michael with every artist, even his own sister, just to tear him down.

:bow:

LMBO! (y)

I dislike when people try to rewrite history, especially die hard prince fans. They say he wanted to do movies because prince did purple rain forgetting that he did the variety shows and Wiz and Thriller which was a short film etc. The reason Michael wanted to do moonwalker was because he LOVED films and wanted to be an actor.

Exactly. and i didn't know some prince fans do this. i don't think Prince would of like his fans downing Michael or any other artists like Michael didn't either. they shouldn't call themselves fans at all. also elvis pretty much did movies and has his own reclusive residency before both of them.

i don't like when people rewrite history period.

I think it’s because everyone knows that Michael is the standard, the blueprint. He’s reached a status level in music history that has never been seen before. Sooo when I hear people comparing him to other artists, it’s supposed to be a form of flattery to the other artist. But then again topics are always compared. MJ vs LeBron, Janet vs Madonna, Mariah vs Whitney, Lakers vs Celtics...etc

somewhereinthedark;4287528 said:
2. The comparisons were 99.9% fueled by the media. It was the media who compared Michael with every artist, even his own sister, just to tear him down.
3. I agree that it doesn’t make sense to compare artists with each other, male or female. I think that it is childish and ignorant.

Themidwestcowboy;4287531 said:

somewhereinthedark;4287592 said:
Thank you, Thank YOU, THANK YOU!! I too am sick of the LIES and people, especially Prince fans trying to rewrite history to fit THEIR agenda and narrative. Thank you for having the intelligence to speak up about this BS. I applaud every single word that you posted.Btw, this is the very reason for this so-called “competition”- fans, mostly Prince fans perpetuate this childish crap and then the media catches on to it and exploits it. Give it a rest! It’s pathetic!

No one is trying to rewrite history about that.

Michael Jackson knew that he did not manage to achieve success in the film industry with his first steps into films (‘The Wiz’, for example, that came out in 1978, was a big commercial flop).

When Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ film came out and met with huge commercial success in 1984, Michael Jackson felt jealousy towards Prince, and he wanted to create something similar with a similar huge commercial success (note here that Michael Jackson had already attended also a screening of the ‘Purple Rain’ film held by Warner Bros. for a special, small audience, before its public release, which also shows his competitive attitude towards Prince).

When the ‘Purple Rain’ film came out, Michael Jackson became at the time so obsessed with Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ film that he started to read avidly all the press/news articles about that film and even to collect those articles for himself (there are also available photos that confirm that).

‘Moonwalker’ (1988) was a musical film based on a studio album (‘BAD’) just like the ‘Purple Rain’ film (1984) which was based on the ‘Purple Rain’ album.

It is not also a coincidence that he bought and created Neverland Ranch just one or two years after Prince created his Paisley Park.

Michael Jackson did these things also because he wanted people to compare him with Prince because that would help him to stay relevant (it was then when he along with Frank Dileo started to plant also stories on press about a rivalry between these two artists).

Also, Michael Jackson along with AEG Live both knew since March (2009) that he was about to perform at least 25 ‘This Is It’ shows, and part of the reason for that number was to outdo Prince’s 21 shows at that venue two years earlier.

Michael Jackson in his final period was still feeling so competitive towards Prince that he desperately wanted his ‘This Is It’ shows to be better than Prince’s shows:

“…But Kenny, God channels this through me at night. I can’t sleep because I’m so super-charged… if I’m not there to receive these [creative] ideas, God might give them to Prince…’” (Michael Jackson, 2009)

Michael Jackson was a highly insecure and competitive artist.

Back