Gone Too Soon live opinion

JichaelMackson

Proud Member
I didn't find a thread for it but I had to make it.

In my opinion this is the single most spectacular performance MJ ever did. He nailed the vocals, it was inch perfect. You could see the Clinton's being equally moved as I was and the standing ovation at the end was well deserved and from the look on MJ's face he knew it was brilliant.
It's my fave live vocal since the Venezuela concert One day in your life/ happy performances. I was captivated from start to finish, I don't need the dancing and big stages and pyrotechnics and video screens.

He then followed it up with a mimed "heal the world" performance I truly don't understand how his brain worked... but "gone too soon" was a masterclass vocal performance.

It truly was a beautiful moment. If I’m right then this was the only time he fully sang a song from the 90’s live in front of a live audience.

Themidwestcowboy;4288050 said:
It truly was a beautiful moment. If I’m right then this was the only time he fully sang a song from the 90’s live in front of a live audience.

That is true sadly.

It was Michael's best vocal performance post 1980s. He still had it in him to sing live and sound great.

Perhaps a performance like this can happen only once in a Lifetime.
angel3r.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVYT_zlEINA

I mean I hear a roughness to it. To me it's not "inch perfect".

But for me that's the beauty of live performance. And this is indeed beautiful.

Also for many years I thought he flubbed the lyrics, until I heard the demo haha

Yes, a beautiful performance. This is up there with You Were There as one of his most emotional performances.

One of my favorite live singing performances. Why on earth he choose to mime Heal the World I will never understand...

He should have sung live more often - then he would be appreciated more as a singer I think.

One of my favorite live singing performances. Why on earth he choose to mime Heal the World I will never understand...

He should have sung live more often - then he would be appreciated more as a singer I think.

I think that is a little bit messed up because for the majority of is career MJ sung live. we're talking 30 years before he started miming certain songs. But yeah I think if he would have sung more during the 90's he would have been more appreciated as a live singer.

I think that is a little bit messed up because for the majority of is career MJ sung live. we're talking 30 years before he started miming certain songs. But yeah I think if he would have sung more during the 90's he would have been more appreciated as a live singer.

I agree it's messed up. - And no one can ever say MJ could not sing great live when he was youger. - Just see Who's loving You - and ALL live performances up to 1989 on the BAD tour - it's ACE !!

BUT - after 1990 - nearly everything people saw was play-back. - TV-apperances was always play-back, not many saw Dangerous tour - but it was partly mimed - BUT the most aired MJ concert HIStory Tour - it has been broadcast numerous times all over the world - and it is 95 % playback... - That is what the general public has seen the most I think - and maybe MJ 30th anniversary which have also been sent on TV many times. - and his solo stuff is claerly playback.

Many more live sung TV-apperances would have helped him gain/maintane respect as a live singer after 1990. - and often these performances is only 1 song... so should be easy to sing live and not be too exausted/out of breath.

What puzzles me was how MJ would sing live at rehearsals (See Dangerous Tour rehearsals) but would then use play back at the actual shows. And it's really frustrating because if you listen to the rehearsals of Black Or White, Heal The World, Remember The Time and Will You Be There, he sounds fantastic.

Hess;4288527 said:
Why on earth he choose to mime Heal the World I will never understand...

Apparently because he wanted to avoid embarrassing himself in case he forgot certain lyrics of the ‘Heal The World’ song.

Especially, during such a high profile event like the Bill Clinton’s Presidential Inaugural Gala in 1993, and in front of millions of TV viewers.

When he tried to sing live that song some years later at the Bahamas Event (1999), he forgot certain lyrics and he felt slightly embarrassed by that.

Hess;4288564 said:
BUT the most aired MJ concert HIStory Tour - it has been broadcast numerous times all over the world - and it is 95 % playback... - That is what the general public has seen the most I think

The HIStory Tour was not about him as a live singer, but it was about his dance abilities and the visuals/theatrics of the show.

He made that clear when, for example, he created and released the ‘DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME!’ HIStory European Tour video teaser where he indicated that this tour was mainly about his dancing, and not about his live singing.

During the HIStory Tour he also wanted to protect his voice because he had already damaged vocal cords brought on by his extensive live singing from his previous tours.

He even quitted warming up his voice right before each HIStory concert because even that voice warming up caused him throat discomfort and slight pain on his vocal cords.

mj_frenzy;4288571 said:
Apparently because he wanted to avoid embarrassing himself in case he forgot certain lyrics of the ‘Heal The World’ song.

Especially, during such a high profile event like the Bill Clinton’s Presidential Inaugural Gala in 1993, and in front of millions of TV viewers.

When he tried to sing live that song some years later at the Bahamas Event (1999), he forgot certain lyrics and he felt slightly embarrassed by that.

I think that's because he didn't expect he'd be singing that night and was caught off guard.

I think that's because he didn't expect he'd be singing that night and was caught off guard.

He appeared to be refusing to sing until pressured. Is there evidence of mj_frenzy's claim or is it just assumed from that tiny clip that exists?

There was really no excuse for the BET and Soultrain performances of YANA being lip-synched. Pretty embarassing to watch them back.

His vocals during the History tour indicate that him singing live around that time would not have yielded the best results. I personally think he either had something wrong with his voice around that time that we don’t know about or he just had low confidence in his ability to sing live.

The Gone Too Soon performance is amazing and clearly something that he wanted to do right in order to honour his friend.

To me he just wasn’t a great live vocal performer from the end of the Dangerous Tour up until the rehearsals for This Is It, where Human Nature and IJCSLY sound like they would’ve been amazing.

Snek;4288596 said:
I personally think he either had something wrong with his voice around that time that we don’t know about or he just had low confidence in his ability to sing live.

I think it mostly had to do with him being too much out of breath from the dancing. This definitly doesn't get easier the older one gets.

Electro;4288598 said:
I think it mostly had to do with him being too much out of breath from the dancing. This definitly doesn't get easier the older one gets.

I agree with you obviously but it’s not just that, in the Brunei History show his voice sounds strained and breathless right from the very start of the first song. This is the only time we get to hear a part of Scream sung live.

I don't think that's the case because when he sang the first verse of Scream at Brunei his voice sounded really out of shape and that was at the very start of the show.

Snek;4288599 said:
I agree with you obviously but it’s not just that, in the Brunei History show his voice sounds strained and breathless right from the very start of the first song. This is the only time we get to hear a part of Scream sung live.

analogue;4288600 said:
I don't think that's the case because when he sang the first verse of Scream at Brunei his voice sounded really out of shape and that was at the very start of the show.

Yes, could well be that there were additional problems.

How much of the Brunei concert is live? I might give it a watch if it's enough...

Michael's voice was in poor shape so I can understand why he chose to lip-sync during the History Tour. What I don't understand is how his voice got so damaged between the first History Tour which was in September 96, and the Royal Brunei concert which was in July 96. He sounded not great, but still pretty good during the Royal Brunei concert. How did he damage his voice in such a short amount of time?

Every thread that is vocal related ends up being about HIStory tour and/or invincible.

Gone Too Soon vocals were brilliant!

Back