What's Your Favorites Off The Album Goin' Places?

What's Your Favorites Off The Album Goin' Places?

• Total voters
It was a toss up between man of war, find me a girl and jump for joy for me. Overall it might be my least fave album post Motown ( not taking into account Michael & Xscape)

I don't get it either, why don't people just take a quick vote? These polls are rarely used.

I don't get it either, why don't people just take a quick vote?
Other than people posting pictures of Paris, this part of the site has mostly been inactive for years. :rofl: It's the same with the other artist music section, which was combined with general discussion not that long ago. If you notice, most people currently posting not are not interested in any Jacksons not named Michael, nor are they that interested in The Jacksons or Jackson 5 music. Some have said so, others have said they don't like Off The Wall because it is too disco. Which probably means they didn't grow up with it or the early 1970s R&B/soul/funk sound of the J5. Off The Wall is probably closer to the sound of The Jacksons albums than Mike's albums after it. It seems that a lot of the folks here now are younger & more familiar with 1990s era and maybe Bad, since that is what is discussed the most.

A lot of the people who would talk about the brothers or Janet's music or music from other performers stopped posting here years ago. Especially after Mike passed. A few will post something every once in awhile or lurk. Music wise, there isn't much to discuss about The Jacksons since they haven't had a record out since 1989 and the records they do have came out in an era that many current members are not familiar with at all. I mean popular music in general. It's the equivalent of the average person when Thriller came out knowing a lot about 1940s music & before. They are not as likely to relate to it.

JichaelMackson;4288772 said:
I don't get it either, why don't people just take a quick vote? These polls are rarely used.

Personally, I’m just not very much into polls. :D

OK, I voted for Man Of War. ;)

The first two Jacksons albums just aren't that good, not bad but not anything special either, certainly not on the level of the later albums when the brothers got creative control, and not even Motown standards IMO. They are fun though, I was hesitating between Man Of War and Goin' Places, finally chose the one with the message. BTW who wrote these songs? I tried to check it but the wiki doesn't give information for many songs, strange...

I personally knew 40-50's music before knowing MJ. :D Actually my first MJ experience was The Wiz while I was a kid, I remember staying up late to catch it on TV (I loved the Oz story so I had to watch it). My parents fell asleep, haha, but I loved it immediately. My fav character from the film was the Scarecrow (otherwise the Lion) and even though I knew it was MJ I didn't start searching for his other works until I heard Bad later.

As for the other Jacksons not named Michal: :)

I actually think that Jermaine's two mid-80s albums (Dynamite and Precious Moments) were great, I think his career was seriously overshadowed by MJ and would have been more successful with a different surname. And the "When the Rain Begins to Fall" MV is the coolest and quintessential 80's. :D

I loved the 2300 Jacksons Street album, still do, I think it's underrated, probably for similar reasons like the above. It wasn't only on par with, but even above your average r&b/new jack swing of the time IMO. Even their MV's were stylish and still work.

I was fascinated with Janet in the Control/Rhythm Nation era, in some sense even more than with MJ, being a girl it was easier to relate to her topics, style, choreography, attitude etc I guess. I wasn't too fond of her later work so lost track after some point, but I still think that those two albums, the MVs accompanying them, her style, dealing with serious issues in a personal and authentic manner were brilliant, and the Rhythm Nation film is a hidden gem. It's the knowledge! :punk:

I voted for find me a girl. One of my fave ballads all around, great vocals, could easily make the tracklist of OTW imo. Jump for Joy would come in second.
I generally think it's the weakest Jacksons album, I however find the "debut" album equally good as Destiny/Triumph. Show you the way to go is also one of my all time favorites.

Man of War easily. Goin Places is possibly my least favourite Jackson5/Jacksons/Michael Jackson album. I haven't heard it in full more than once.

Show you the way to go is also one of my all time favorites.

That's a good one indeed. Now I need an ultimate "young MJ" album as well :D, with SYTWTG, One Day In Your Life, We're Almost There, Man of War, Blues Away, I Am Love, It's Too Late to Change The Time, Dancing Machine etc, I think I would put Blame It On The Boogie on it too.

For me there's a strong distinction between this era and Destiny/Triumph/OTW though.

That's a good one indeed. Now I need an ultimate "young MJ" album as well :D, with SYTWTG, One Day In Your Life, We're Almost There, Man of War, Blues Away, I Am Love, It's Too Late to Change The Time, Dancing Machine etc, I think I would put Blame It On The Boogie on it too.

For me there's a strong distinction between this era and Destiny/Triumph/OTW though.

I think we can all agree 1978 is the true start of MJ's solo career. The Destiny album showcases MJ's adult voice at its best voice for the first time, shake your body is a trademark MJ song with falsetto and worldwide hit, he (co)wrote or (co)created almost all the tracks on the album.

Therefore I am really really curious to see concert footage of 1978. It's basically the last concerts he did where he sang the old Motown songs in his full adult voice. Got to be there, never can say goodbye, get it together, dancing machine etc were all part of the concerts then

Find me a girl is such a treasure! I've actually been listening to this album as of late and it's really a fun, infectious, groovy album. Find Me A girl and Even Though You're gone are standouts imo

This is probably the weakest Jacksons album, but I do think these songs make for a nice set. There's not a huge standout, everything flows pretty well together. If I had to pick my favorites, it's probably MUsic's Takin' Over (I like the verses a lot, but not so much the chorus), Man Of War and Even Though You're Gone.

Even though you're gone is a pretty good ballad helped with Michael's ballad voice and Different Kind of Lady is also a good song.

Never been that crazy about Goin Places the song, okay Michael's singing is great as always and theres a decent hook - but not much more.

I think of all the Jacksons albums, Goin Places is this weakest, especially when compared to Destiny afterwards and even the Jacksons before.
Sophomore slump I guess.

1. goin' places
2. jump for joy
3. do what you wanna
4. even though you're gone

in that order. my favourite jacksons album :)

Different Kind of Lady is great.
I like these lyrics:
If you want me
I'll be there in a flash
If you need me
Well that's different at last

Back