Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Triumph 40th Anniversary Edition - should this happen, your thoughts?

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Motown

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    Those bonus tracks were previously released on 12" singles though and they didn't even put the instrumental versions. That's just 2 albums, they didn't do anything with the rest of them.
    Well, they did remaster all Jacksons albums (released in 2009 on cd in Japan & worldwide digital only in 24/96).

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,065 Posts

Default Re: Triumph 40th Anniversary Edition - should this happen, your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    will the public buy it?
    A lot of the music audience today don't buy new albums by currently hot artists. They stream music. Many people don't even own something to play CDs on and they aren't putting CD/tape players in new cars as a default. The RIAA now counts a certain amount of streams as a sale of an album and Billboard uses streams as part of their chart criteria

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Motown

[COLOR=#000080]Those bonus tracks were previously released on 12" singles though and they didn't even put the instrumental versions. That's just 2 albums, they didn't do anything with the rest of them.#
    So what?

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default brothers

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    So what?
    Those came out in 2008. They must not have sold that well if nothing has been done in 12 years. But Epic releases Mike compilations such as Scream. Japan reissues albums by lesser known American acts that are out of print in the USA including 1970s funk bands and R&B singers. So I would not really count the Japanese as a gauge for what happens elsewhere. Look at The Beatles, they get stuff released regularly, and not only their records. They have movies based on their music (Across The Universe, Yesterday), documentaries, board games, dolls, toys, video games, books, etc. There's even a documentaries about Stuart Sutcliffe & Brian Epstein and a biopic about John Lennon as a teenager. They still get written about in magazines and talked about on TV. That's free publicity. That would not happen if The Beatles didn't continue to be really popular in the mainstream. It's called the record business for a reason. It's not like Herman's Hermits or Freddie & The Dreamers get the same amount of publicity as the Fabs do today. Elvis Presley has a bunch of movies that are shown all the time on TV. Since most of them are musicals of some sort, that keeps his name and music out there. Some people just have more of a public demand than others.

It probably doesn't help that The Jacksons haven't had a record out since 1989. They weren't performing either until a few years ago. So they have been out of the public eye all that time. Most of their concerts have happened outside of the US though. It also doesn't help that people upload Jacksons/J5 songs on Youtube as "Michael Jackson".

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: brothers

Those came out in 2008. They must not have sold that well if nothing has been done in 12 years. But Epic releases Mike compilations such as Scream. Japan reissues albums by lesser known American acts that are out of print in the USA including 1970s funk bands and R&B singers. So I would not really count the Japanese as a gauge for what happens elsewhere. Look at The Beatles, they get stuff released regularly, and not only their records. They have movies based on their music (Across The Universe, Yesterday), documentaries, board games, dolls, toys, video games, books, etc. There's even a documentaries about Stuart Sutcliffe & Brian Epstein and a biopic about John Lennon as a teenager. They still get written about in magazines and talked about on TV. That's free publicity. That would not happen if The Beatles didn't continue to be really popular in the mainstream. It's called the record business for a reason. It's not like Herman's Hermits or Freddie & The Dreamers get the same amount of publicity as the Fabs do today. Elvis Presley has a bunch of movies that are shown all the time on TV. Since most of them are musicals of some sort, that keeps his name and music out there. Some people just have more of a public demand than others.

It probably doesn't help that The Jacksons haven't had a record out since 1989. They weren't performing either until a few years ago. So they have been out of the public eye all that time. Most of their concerts have happened outside of the US though. It also doesn't help that people upload Jacksons/J5 songs on Youtube as "Michael Jackson".
    But the fact remains, they released anniversary remastered special editions of the two most significant Jacksons albums WITH bonus tracks despite according to you being unmarketable.

This "no one would buy it" argument that gets trotted out everytime anything worthwhile is suggested or even asked about, is boring quite frankly. If The Jacksons existed in a vacuum as a standalone act, I might understand your point, but we're talking here about music made by Michael Jackson, the world's greatest entertainer, in a period of time that is almost universally considered to be his most creative period. He's year after year the highest earning dead celebrity! We're not talking about some obscure artist here with next to no audience.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Triumph 40th Anniversary Edition - should this happen, your thoughts?

There's really some great remixes from Triumph on YouTube. Some include multi-tracks and unheard vocals from songs. That's really the best that we'll ever get.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

But the fact remains, they released anniversary remastered special editions of the two most significant Jacksons albums WITH bonus tracks despite according to you being unmarketable.

This "no one would buy it" argument that gets trotted out everytime anything worthwhile is suggested or even asked about, is boring quite frankly. If The Jacksons existed in a vacuum as a standalone act, I might understand your point, but we're talking here about music made by Michael Jackson, the world's greatest entertainer, in a period of time that is almost universally considered to be his most creative period. He's year after year the highest earning dead celebrity! We're not talking about some obscure artist here with next to no audience.
    Just because The Beatles continue to sell does not necessarily mean that a lot of people are still buying Wings or Ringo Starr solo albums. The 2300 Jackson Street part of the site is mostly ignored, except for people posting pictures of Paris. People on this site have said they are not interested in the brothers music. So what makes you think the general public is? If there was interest, then something would have been done already. A few years ago Sony released deluxe versions of George Michael albums. They didn't do that for Wham!. So just because there's interest in Michael does not mean there is the same amount of interest in The Jacksons. If there was, Sony would have done something with their music just like they did with George Michael & Bruce Springsteen. There's never been a home video release for The Jacksons or J5, even in the VHS days.

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,102 Posts

I just want the Triumph tour LA to be released because we all know that it exists in HQ.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulkamaniac For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
    I just want the Triumph tour LA to be released because we all know that it exists in HQ.
    To be honest, I'd rather watch one that contains a performance of "Walk Right Now" rather than LA again, even in HQ

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
    To be honest, I'd rather watch one that contains a performance of "Walk Right Now" rather than LA again, even in HQ
    Yeah, to each his own I guess.

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
    Yeah, to each his own I guess.
    There's always the possibility to include WRN as a bonus to a L.A. dvd

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzball For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

It should happen

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Just because The Beatles continue to sell does not necessarily mean that a lot of people are still buying Wings or Ringo Starr solo albums. The 2300 Jackson Street part of the site is mostly ignored, except for people posting pictures of Paris. People on this site have said they are not interested in the brothers music. So what makes you think the general public is? If there was interest, then something would have been done already. A few years ago Sony released deluxe versions of George Michael albums. They didn't do that for Wham!. So just because there's interest in Michael does not mean there is the same amount of interest in The Jacksons. If there was, Sony would have done something with their music just like they did with George Michael & Bruce Springsteen. There's never been a home video release for The Jacksons or J5, even in the VHS days.
    That you compare Michael Jackson's place in the Jacksons to Ringo in the Beatles is by itself alarming.

I didn't say there would be the "same amount" of interest in Jacksons unreleased music as Michael's.

There was a planned Victory concert release...it would have sold.

As far as I can see, this "general public" nonsense is nothing more than a excuse to cover for the Estate and is actually lazy from the fans in 2020.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default record labels

As far as I can see, this "general public" nonsense is nothing more than a excuse to cover for the Estate and is actually lazy from the fans in 2020.
    I have no interest in the estate and said nothing about it. I clearly said Epic/Sony. Also The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, & George Michael are white. That's why I named them. The Jacksons are black. Most of George's & Bruce's music was on Sony, the same company as The Jacksons. Black artists have always been given less attention by the record labels in the USA than white ones and also less media attention than white artists. From the fact that black artists had to "cross over" to Top 40 radio or make music designed to make it easier to do this. You can find several Elvis Presley box sets of alternate takes and studio chatter, but most of the records of Fats Domino, Little Richard, & Jackie Wilson are out of print. Rock n roll was created by black people, but a lot of people today think it is white music because the white rock artists sold more than the black ones. They got the radio play. Most of the top 50 of the biggest selling artists are white male rock bands/singers. Other than Jimi Hendrix and maybe B.B. King, black guitarists are hardly ever put on best guitarist lists like a Eddie Van Halen or Eric Clapton. People like Ernie Isley, Eddie Hazel, or Jesse Johnson don't get the same publicity or attention.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: record labels

I have no interest in the estate and said nothing about it. I clearly said Epic/Sony.
    I'm well aware of what you said. But you're raising the point about commercial viability when you slap down any unreleased song by the Jacksons. Which is mirrored in the ongoing discussions surrounding the commercial viability of quality posthumous (and indeed unreleased music) releases under Michael Jackson's solo name. I have already made the point that the massive audience for Michael Jackson would be ported to a degree to a Jacksons release going forward. So it's relevant. And whether you're interested in the Estate or not, they are in partnership with Sony in the distribution of said material. That is why I have stated I believe the automatic slap down by fans to any suggestion of any creative project surrounding precious unreleased recordings by Michael Jackson (in any form) of 'well it wouldn't be a phenomenon to the general public' or 'the Estate are a BUSINESS' is lazy and a cover for their terrible track record.

I mean either these recordings are made available or they are kept locked away forever - the way some fans go on it's almost as if they're determined for the latter to happen (and not for the right reasons). Fans are too caught up in thinking the only way this material can be studied and appreciated is some elaborate physical box set release that HAS to go to number one all over the world. Anyway, I digress.

The rest of your post went off on another historical ramble...although I do agree with every word on this occasion. But again I'd remind you, as black as Michael Jackson was, he reached commercial heights nobody of white skin has ever reached.

Let's move on.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post: