Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Triumph 40th Anniversary Edition - should this happen, your thoughts?

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 772 Posts

Default Re: record labels

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    But again I'd remind you, as black as Michael Jackson was, he reached commercial heights nobody of white skin has ever reached.
    Facts.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,067 Posts

The rest of your post went off on another historical ramble...although I do agree with every word on this occasion. But again I'd remind you, as black as Michael Jackson was, he reached commercial heights nobody of white skin has ever reached.

Let's move on.
    This kind of attitude is why white supremacy & sexism continues to happen. Wow Michael Jackson made it! Now the record labels & mainstream media will give other black artists the same priority. If that was the case then the top 50 highest sellers would not still mostly be white guys. Rolling Stone magazine would not have called Eminem "The King Of Hip Hop".

Epic did not do the same amount of promotion on the 2300 Jackson Street album like they did Bad. Funkadelic, Isley Brothers, & Earth Wind & Fire would have the same importance as the Rolling Stones & The Who. James Brown probably has more influence on modern popular music than The Beatles or Elvis. Larry Graham's slap bass technique is used by bassists in many genres.

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    This kind of attitude is why white supremacy & sexism continues to happen. Wow Michael Jackson made it! Now the record labels & mainstream media will give other black artists the same priority. [COLOR=#000080]If that was the case then the top 50 highest sellers would not still mostly be white guys. Rolling Stone magazine would not have called Eminem "The King Of Hip Hop".
    Let's move on from our back and forth, I'm not saying let's move on as a people on the issue of systemic racism in the history of popular music! I mean, for Gods sake, stop twisting everything. I even said I agreed with what you wrote!

I never suggested that because Michael Jackson achieved massive success that it translates to all black artists! You're twisting that to give yourself another platform to talk about the history of everything. I'm saying that Michael Jackson is a commercial artist with a massive audience. I'm trying to focus you because your tendency is to take one piece of a post out of context and then begin talking for paragraphs about decades of other stuff that often aren't relevant. You did this in the Moonwalker debate we had, you started talking about cigarette advertising and album covers!

Honestly, do not implicate me or my comments in any sexism or white supremacy. I find that hugely offensive.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 302
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,671 Times in 1,106 Posts

Default Re: Triumph 40th Anniversary Edition - should this happen, your thoughts?

Prince gets a lot of new releases containing unreleased stuff. Queen does get HD concerts released every now and then.

With all due respect to Prince's and Queen's fans... MJ is bigger than both of them. So people saying that no one would buy MJ's new releases are not using their common sense.

Nuff said.

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Triumph 40th Anniversary Edition - should this happen, your thoughts?

Prince, Queen, and Michael are all great legends in history. i wish fans don't debate and compare them. all 3 of them are better than today music and artists. but i agree that people will buy Michael "new" releases. not because he our "king" but because he's a legend just like the rest of them.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

People who are black do get their inspiring from Michael and Prince. BUT you don't have be black to be inspiring by both artists. Michael and Prince are from the black community but other communities look up to them and are inspiring by them as well.

sometimes race don't have to do with everything.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,067 Posts

Default The Jacksons

I never suggested that because Michael Jackson achieved massive success that it translates to all black artists! You're twisting that to give yourself another platform to talk about the history of everything.
    That's what you wrote and that's what I got out of it. I said that those other artists get more priority because they are white. Then you said Michael Jackson had success that they didn't have. Michael Jackson is one act. Most of the biggest sellers are still white males and mainly rock n roll. They aren't Puerto Rican or Japanese. So that doesn't really got anything to do with me saying Sony does more with Bruce Springsteen records than The Jacksons or that Bruce gets talked about more in the media.

Honestly, do not implicate me or my comments in any sexism or white supremacy.

Maybe its like humor or sarcasm, comments doesn't always translate printed on the internet. I wasn't saying you yourself are these things, but I thought "let's move on" & "ramble" was implying that what I was saying was something that happened a long time ago and it's over today. So to me it's like people ignoring or dismissing something because it doesn't affect them, even if they don't think it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    but i agree that people will buy Michael "new" releases.

"Michael" has gotten several album releases of unreleased music & compilations of already released songs since he passed. So I don't think Sony has any problem with releasing music by Mike. "The Jacksons" haven't. The "Jackson 5" have but they are on a different label. Motown is mostly a compilation label today anyway.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I acknowledge your post. Go with peace and love.

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,305 Times in 944 Posts

Triumph tour package would be nice.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Robbsaber01 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I raised this before, how come we have albums upon albums of unreleased Jackson 5 songs, and we have about 30 or so MJ unreleased songs but my current count of unreleased Jacksons tracks remains at 0. Am I wrong?
    The current count of Jacksons unreleased songs needs to be updated to 1.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I raised this before, how come we have albums upon albums of unreleased Jackson 5 songs, and we have about 30 or so MJ unreleased songs but my current count of unreleased Jacksons tracks remains at 0. Am I wrong?
    The current count of Jacksons unreleased songs needs to be updated to 1.
    Perfectly summoned.