Triumph 40th Anniversary Edition - should this happen, your thoughts?

Fuzball

Proud Member
The Jacksons Triumph album was released on October 18, 1980.

Should there be an anniversary release? What kind of bonus content would you like see on such a anniversary edition?

Last edited:
dethorro;4288828 said:
This is hard to say, as we have very little footage from the Triumph Tour, but I think the best shows from the tour were the 2 MSG shows and the Providence show.

The live album was recorded mainly on these 3 nights and it is perfect imo and the outfits on these three shows were, again imo, the best.

Michael has registered the Forum concert (9/26/1981) with the US Copyright Office.
Type of Work: Motion Picture
Registration Number / Date: PAu000369134 / 1981-11-23
Application Title: The Jacksons’ 1981 Forum concert.
Title: The Jacksons at the Forum, September 26, 1981.
Description: 2 videocassettes (ca. 84 min.) : sd., col. ; 3/4 in.
Notes: Deposit includes description (2 p.)
Copyright Claimant: Michael Jackson
Date of Creation: 1981
Authorship on Application: entire performance: The Jacksons; entire cinematography: Michael Jackson, employer for hire.
Previous Registration: Preexisting material: musical compositions.
Basis of Claim: New Matter: "performances and cinematography."
Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.
Names: Jackson, Michael / Jacksons

Michael has registered the Forum concert (9/26/1981) with the US Copyright Office.

Interesting! I'm so curious whether or not they have any other concert apart from this one.
Don't get me wrong, this one is awesome too but I'm interested in some of the earlier concerts from the tour also.
Btw, does the estate also have the September 25th show? I heard that they used some footage from that show in the Off The Wall documentary.

Great album. And MJ looked good on the cover. I loved the song "Give it up" which was not a big of a song like "This place- Heartbreak Hotel",etc

Since there was no 30th anniversairy release in 2010 they should consider a 40th anniversary release now. /smartass-mode off

Triumph is my favorite album by The Jacksons and of course I'd like an anniversary release, but I think it's quite impossible because it surely would sell less than any MJ solo anniversary release (and probably THEY know it too).
Hopefully one day we'll get to hear the full performance of Walk Right Now, I'm tired of listening those snippets!

My favorite Jacksons album. There must be some outtakes. "That Girl" and "Slipped Away" I think are some. I wonder if Slipped Away became Time Waits for No One or if it's a totally different song.

Since there was no 30th anniversairy release in 2010 they should consider a 40th anniversary release now. /smartass-mode off

There was actually a 30th anniversary release of Destiny in 2008. Both Destiny & Triumph were rereleased with some 7" and 12" mixes as bonus tracks.

Last edited:
There must be some outtakes. "That Girl" and "Slipped Away" I think are some. I wonder if Slipped Away became Time Waits for No One or if it's a totally different song.

There are.

• That Girl (1978)
  • Dance & Shout (1978)
  • You Told Me Your Lovin' (1979)
  • Slipped Away (1980)

If memory serves right, all these tracks were registered by "Peacock Music Publishing Company" (the Jacksons publishing company).

Wouldn't "Dance & shout" be an alternate version of "Shake your Body", since these are adlibs in the song and, 1978, so it might be

I think someone agrees (13:09):

Btw, she talks about unreleased songs a little bit before. ;)

The Jacksons Triumph album was released on October 18, 1980.

Should there be an anniversary release? What kind of bonus content would you like see on such an anniversary edition?

It's a nice idea, but the remaining Jacksons are generally lazy with this type of thing; without Michael here, I don't think there's much point.

It's a nice idea, but the remaining Jacksons are generally lazy with this type of thing; without Michael here, I don't think there's much point.

I think they're never too lazzy as far as money is involved in some way. :D

Yes it should happen. but i don't think it gonna. either contact Michael estate or his brothers.

Yes it should.

More concerts should be released! - MJ was the best live performer ever - and yet we only have 2 official concerts... We need much more concerts released - also J5 and The Jacksons ! - release them along with a live album CD. - BAD live album and The Jacksons LIVE - I love those albums.

Wouldn't "Dance & shout" be an alternate version of "Shake your Body", since these are adlibs in the song and, 1978, so it might be

You're right. I've just checked it. The song was first registered in September 1978 as "Dance & shout", two month later a supplement registration was made with a new title "Shake your Body".

I don't see anything being done with this album because in the US, The Jacksons albums were mainly popular with the R&B audience. They didn't have as much crossover as Mike solo did starting with Off The Wall. In general, R&B does not get the same reissue importance as rock music does. It didn't when the records were originally released either. It's like The Jacksons did not get the same amount of promotional budget as Journey or Van Halen. The Jacksons didn't even have a greatest hits in the US until 2004 unless you count the live album.

I think there was another outtake - Why Can't I Be. Anybody know how to contact Tom Perry? He was the engineer on this album and worked on some other stuff with MJ during this time period. I would think he would know more about the demo's/outtakes surrounding this album. He did an interview about this album a few years ago.

The album is sped up. Almost too much. I bet they had a few outtakes, like Lovely Ways, that just couldn't fit on the album. I need more info.

Anybody know how to contact Tom Perry? He was the engineer on this album and worked on some other stuff with MJ during this time period. I would think he would know more about the demo's/outtakes surrounding this album. He did an interview about this album a few years ago.
I found the twitter account of the assistant engineer, Ross Pallone. You can contact him if you like. https://twitter.com/rosspallone

Btw, here's the interview Derek1984 had mentioned. https://www.waxpoetics.com/blog/features/articles/the-jacksons-triumph-engineer-tom-perry/

I wouldn't trust her. she lied way too many times about Michael and said some pretty rude stuff about him in the low.

I was able to contact the engineer for this record, Tom Perry. I asked about any unreleased cuts, including "Slipped Away". His response: "Honestly don't remember. I don't think there were any extra tracks".

So maybe there were and he forgot... But it's probably more probable unreleased tracks like Slipped Away were recorded at home and never made it to the studio sessions. Slipped Away sounds like a song similar to Time Waits For No One. So maybe that could've been an early working title, or Slipped Away just wasn't as good as Time Waits for No One.

I raised this before, how come we have albums upon albums of unreleased Jackson 5 songs, and we have about 30 or so MJ unreleased songs but my current count of unreleased Jacksons tracks remains at 0. Am I wrong?

I was able to contact the engineer for this record, Tom Perry. I asked about any unreleased cuts, including "Slipped Away". His response: "Honestly don't remember. I don't think there were any extra tracks".

So maybe there were and he forgot... But it's probably more probable unreleased tracks like Slipped Away were recorded at home and never made it to the studio sessions. Slipped Away sounds like a song similar to Time Waits For No One. So maybe that could've been an early working title, or Slipped Away just wasn't as good as Time Waits for No One.

Maybe one of the Jackson brothers (Randy?) can give proper answers.

Motown

I raised this before, how come we have albums upon albums of unreleased Jackson 5 songs, and we have about 30 or so MJ unreleased songs but my current count of unreleased Jacksons tracks remains at 0. Am I wrong?
Because Motown does that with a lot of their classic era artists. They release endless compilations with the same songs on them too. Motown has pretty much been a catalog label since the 1980s. Their last really popular act was probably Boyz II Men in the early 1990s. Also Motown had their 1960s and early 1970s acts constantly recording, so there was a lot of excess material. They didn't just record songs for an album. Back then it was somewhat common to release non-album songs as singles or use extra songs as a B-side of a single.

In the early 2000s, Harry Weinger said there was close to 300 unreleased J5 songs including an instrumental solo album by Tito. I think there was some solo songs by Marlon too, but don't know if it is enough for an album. Mike said once he didn't remember recording some songs on one of his Motown solo albums because they were in the studio so often. That's a lot of songs, especially considering there may be multiple takes of some of them. I saw an interview with one of the Funk Brothers and he said that they sometimes just recorded instrumental tracks and had no idea of what the song was going to be called or who was going to sing on it until the record was released. Berry Gordy was said to want Motown to be run like an assembly line at the car factories in Detroit.

I don't think The Jacksons were as prolific as the J5. They probably just recorded enough songs for an album, maybe with a few songs left over.

Back