Dangerous tour rehearsals

JichaelMackson

Proud Member
I'm late with this as usual but I watched them on YouTube and now it's even more maddening that he put more effort in those rehearsals than in the actual concerts (regarding singing).
Anyway what I really wanted to say was that "black or white" live would have been amazing. He has no effort with those lyrics in the rehearsal but I especially love MJ going nuts for about 10 seconds jumping and head banging to the music and ending with kicking the mic stand. This definitely goes to my favorite performances list.
This is better than the actual tour :-S
The only vocals that didn't sound convincing were in "will you be there".

I love Dangerous Tour rehearsals. I love MJ's voice during those rehearsals. He sounds better than he does during actual concerts. They need to be released someday.

My favourite is the Remember The Time. He sounds so good. I don't understand why he decided to lip-sync RTM the one time he performed it. It's not like he was doing any dancing. He was sitting on a chair. Surely, he could have sung it live. Talk about complacency.

What's the story behind these rehearsals? I know tape 2 was leaked a few years ago, but how did the tape 1 rehearsals find its way on the net (closed shirt and open shirt)?

Does anyone know if Remember the time was performed during the Dangerous tour dress rehearsals? Or was it cut by then? Would be amazing to see it performed in costume.

Does anyone know if Remember the time was performed during the Dangerous tour dress rehearsals? Or was it cut by then? Would be amazing to see it performed in costume.
It's likely, as the reason (I think) it was cut from the setlist was wardrobe malfunction, so it could have been rehearsed with the costumes in order for that to have happened.

I love Dangerous Tour rehearsals. I love MJ's voice during those rehearsals. He sounds better than he does during actual concerts. They need to be released someday.

My favourite is the Remember The Time. He sounds so good. I don't understand why he decided to lip-sync RTM the one time he performed it. It's not like he was doing any dancing. He was sitting on a chair. Surely, he could have sung it live. Talk about complacency.

Holy shit, I'd never seen RTM beng rehearsed before. I literally cannot believe how amazing he sounds!! God, Michael was the greatest!

nextbigthing56;4288952 said:

M.J. Content;4288953 said:
It's likely, as the reason (I think) it was cut from the setlist was wardrobe malfunction, so it could have been rehearsed with the costumes in order for that to have happened.

Jennifer Batten confirmed that ‘Remember The Time’ was actually performed during the Dangerous Tour dress rehearsals.

She also confirmed the wardrobe malfunction that happened, and she strongly implied that this wardrobe malfunction was the reason that the song was eventually cut from the set list of the Dangerous Tour:

“… They had Egyptian costumes and the male dancers had these skirt kind of things. The first time we did it one of the dancers’ costumes fell off… That was a little disturbing to Michael…” (Jennifer Batten)

As she also revealed, the fact that they had to cut that song from the tour’s set list (because of this wardrobe malfunction) was something that frustrated them because they were looking forward to performing especially the new songs during the Dangerous Tour.

mj_frenzy;4288971 said:
Jennifer Batten confirmed that ‘Remember The Time’ was actually performed during the Dangerous Tour dress rehearsals.

She also confirmed the wardrobe malfunction that happened, and she strongly implied that this wardrobe malfunction was the reason that the song was eventually cut from the set list of the Dangerous Tour:

“… They had Egyptian costumes and the male dancers had these skirt kind of things. The first time we did it one of the dancers’ costumes fell off… That was a little disturbing to Michael…” (Jennifer Batten)

As she also revealed, the fact that they had to cut that song from the tour’s set list (because of this wardrobe malfunction) was something that frustrated them because they were looking forward to performing especially the new songs during the Dangerous Tour.

Awesome! Thank you for the info :)

mj_frenzy;4288971 said:

That's not the reason why Remember The Time was cut.

Kevin Dorsey has confirmed that Remember The Time, In The Closet and even Can't Let Her Get Away were rehearsed by the band and dancers and that Michael would drop RTT and CLHGA in the set list in certain cities on the tour. This is why we have footage of the dancers rehearsing Remember The Time in Bucharest, for example.

He has also stated this (about Remember The Time): ''And I always felt that he was trying to work something out and make something work in that, but there was something about Remember The Time that just never settled in with Mike...and he tried to make it work.''

So, the reason why Remember The Time was cut was because Michael Jackson wasn't totally satisfied with the production.

Last edited:
I love the ''Dad gone it'' adlib on Black Or White.

Yes everything is great because he sings everything live and he actually makes an effort during rehearsals. These are much more impressive than the "this is it" ones.
My favorite ones ones are bad, black or white, man in the mirror, remember the time.
Also Jam was done live but he holds back a little but still good.

Hasn't some video editing genius thought about using the live rehearsal vocals for some of the mimed Bucharest performances?

Love these tapes. Remember the Time is excellent.

My favorites are Rock With You - Human Nature, Billie Jean, Heal the World, Man in The Mirror, Black and White and The Way You Make Me Feel

He sings live, he is so much in control - even though it's just a rehearsal. Mindblowing really.

Also - the WDAN is great - there is a long one where they go thru it again and again - MJ says something like "They are showmen like me" about the dancers because it's late and MJ is pushing them hard. :)

Such great footage.

Billie Jean during this rehearsal is the best live version of Billie Jean i've ever heard, vocally. He sounded even better than he did on the Victory Tour. It's very close to the album track.

These rehearsals are a great watch, his voice is great and in places his raw energy comes through. Would be nice to see the dress rehearsals someday.

I wish we could see some live rehearsals of in the closet and can't let her get away. It's criminal that the 2nd and 3rd single of the album weren't in the eventual setlist
I wonder why the Jacksons opted to include "can't let her get away" in their setlist post 2009. It's definitely in my top 10 fave Jackson tracks.

Michael should've dropped Working Day And Night and She's Out Of My Life from the set list (even though they are great songs) and performed Remember The Time, In The Closet and Can't Let Her Get Away.

By the time of the Dangerous Tour he had performed WDAN and SOOML on three different tours. That's enough imo.

Billie Jean during this rehearsal is the best live version of Billie Jean i've ever heard, vocally. He sounded even better than he did on the Victory Tour. It's very close to the album track.

Dad gone it baby!!
You know what I think you might be right on this one mate. Mike just oozed his talent in these rehearsals, the Billie Jean is one of my favourites from these tapes. I love when Mike just gets carried away and loses himself, like when he adlibs or when he just does a moonwalk toward the end of the adlib section, he was quite restrained until about the second chorus then he just starts performing. What a spectacle

Other great moments from these tapes are, Remember The Time (do you remember girl, MJ nails that part), Rock With You ( I wanna rock ya girl!!) and Workin' Day and Night is great (those vocals)

I love the Dangerous Tour rehearsal tapes, it's literally witnessing magic. When Mike gets lost in the moment it's just incredible

I love the Dangerous Tour rehearsal tapes, it's literally witnessing magic. When Mike gets lost in the moment it's just incredible

Just imagine for a sec, the estate's releasing these rehearsal tapes as part of their Dangerous30 celebration ...

giphy.gif

Michael should've dropped Working Day And Night and She's Out Of My Life from the set list (even though they are great songs) and performed Remember The Time, In The Closet and Can't Let Her Get Away.

By the time of the Dangerous Tour he had performed WDAN and SOOML on three different tours. That's enough imo.

I wouldn't have minded if he dropped the J5 medley, or changed it up a bit, and I agree with you about dropping She's Out Of My Life. Working Day And Night I don't agree with, because that's fantastic live and it flows brilliantly into Beat It. And I'd like him to perform at least one song from Off The Wall.

Fuzball;4289137 said:
Just imagine for a sec, the estate's releasing these rehearsal tapes as part of their Dangerous30 celebration ...

What a beautiful idea! :)
I tried to imagine it for a sec, and two hours later I’m still imagining it. Am I doing it wrong? :D

I agree about dropping Working Day and Night from the Dangerous Tour, but not about dropping She's Out Of My Life. I think SOOML was a great song that showcased Michael's live vocals. Also, it worked really well as a follow up to I Just Can't Stop Loving You.

Oh yes the IJCSLY transition into SOOML will always be perfect to me. It’s so good.

“And if I stop-“

Maybe he could have replaced She's Out Of My Life with Gone Too Soon. Gone Too Soon is another song that would have showcased Michael's live vocal, and it would have been a song from the Dangerous Album.

What's the story behind the spoken TWYMMF in these rehearsals?

What's the story behind the spoken TWYMMF in these rehearsals?

That was in 1993. The accusations were happening at the time so Michael was sad. That could be the reason. He wasn't feeling good so he decided to just sit and say the lyrics.

Back