Black or white & beat it intro

wonderouzmj

Proud Member
I never payed it no attention until I was messing around with black or white. That same gong sound is used in the intro to black or white. When I get time I'll compare the 2

Most likely. The sound was just a stock, factory preset that came from the Synclavier II synthesizer. We all remember it as the "Beat It sound", but it was used in the Deadpool OST and many other places. In fact, the exact melody of the Beat It intro came from an album called The Incredible Sounds of Synclavier II. I think this was just a record that demonstrated the sounds that came with the synthesizer. It came out in 1981 and Thriller, as you know, came out in '82.

You can here it here:

Hope this helped, or was at least a little interesting! :)

The Black Or White album version, yes, could be the same sound, pitched up.

The original single version had a little different intro:
These intro sounds are also in the album version (after the Beat It sounds), but got a little extended.

Later short edits of BOW seem to have been cut using the album version, so no extended bit there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXGtgA87jPA

I never payed it no attention until I was messing around with black or white. That same gong sound is used in the intro to black or white. When I get time I'll compare the 2

Yes :)
It is the Beat It intro sped up and chopped up. You can also hear the same sound manipulated in Moby's Sub Mix of Beat It.

Back