Thriller/Bad album sales question

JichaelMackson

Proud Member
So Bad was seen as a failure by some media/people whatever because it failed to reach sales numbers of thriller but was it really that far behind?

Thriller was released in 1982 and till 1984 it sold truckloads, how does bad compare to this? How much did had the album sold after the bad tour ended in 1989? Was it really that far behind thriller after 2 to 3 years of being released?

Singles wise the bad album outperformed Thriller based on chart statistics so I think it's not outrageous to think the bad singles outsold the thriller singles.
The Bad tour was also more successful as the victory tour and it promoted the bad songs much better.

I can't answer your exact question, but Thriller continues to outsell Bad in US (biggest music market). I assume that is also the case in other music markets too.

As for total sales of both albums, I think the links posted below are as accurate as any in regards to sales of Michael's albums.

https://chartmasters.org/2017/09/cspc-michael-jackson-popularity-analysis/9/
https://chartmasters.org/2017/09/cspc-michael-jackson-popularity-analysis/10/

Bad has sold over 30 million copies less than Thriller, but it is by no means a flop. It was just unlucky to follow the Thriller album, which was an absolute freak of nature in terms of sales.

It would be interesting to compare the first 3 years of each album. If thriller sold lets say 20 million copies from 1982 to 1984 and Bad sold more or less the same from 1987 to 1989 then the whole idea of bad underperforming in comparison with thriller doesn't make sense. But I always felt that was the narrative about Bad around that time. I think if we look at the first years there really can't be much of a difference in sales.

In my opinion I feel Michael wait it too long to make the bad album and the thriller short film. I know that it was his thing to make a album every 2 to 3 years to be creative and all. but I feel after the thriller album was release he should of start it on the thriller short film after.

bad had a lot of problems because one Michael skin is changing. and two the media and tabloids saying hateful and rude things and lies about Michael.

I love the bad album. Michael didn't want to do the victory tour anyway. he only did it because of his mother. he would do anything for her. in my opinion he shouldn't never did. it back fire at the end due to low sales of the victory album. :\

Here are the sales of Thriller (1982 - 1986):

2 million in the US by Feb 26, 1983.
5 million in the US by May 23, 1983.
10 million by Jun 21, 1983. (7,2 million in the US)
12 million by Sep 17, 1983 (8,5 million in the US). 200,000 sales per week.
13 million by Nov 11, 1983.
14 million by Dec 4, 1983. Over 600,000 sales per week in the US.
20 million (‘approaching’) by Dec 18, 1983.
21 million by Dec 20, 1983.
23 million by Jan 27, 1984.
25 million by Feb 7, 1984.
27 million by Feb 26, 1984.
30,9 million by Mar 17, 1984 (19,4 million in the US).
33 million by May 2, 1984.
35 million by Jul 7, 1984.
— 20 million in the US by Sep 19, 1984.
37 million by Dec 15, 1984.
38,5 million by Aug. 1, 1985
39 million by Aug 15, 1985.
40 million by Jun 5, 1986.

Bad had sold 20 million copies by 1989. Thriller sold 15 million albums in
its first 18 months, so Bad actually sold faster than Thriller.

Last edited:
Ask anyone from the age of 40 up, what their first album was, the answer is always Bad

Bad was huge in the UK. I dare say his campaign overall here was more successful than Thriller. But what a springboard!

BAD was big in the UK and i'm from the US. i'm not sure Thriller was big over there. but it was big here in the US. :) Michael loved London and was a fan of the royals. he meant Princess Diana and Charles and did a concert for them. he also gave prince harry and william bad tour jackets and autograph records. he was close friends with Princess Diana. :D

bless their souls.

The Jackson 5 were not great album sellers, they were characterized by selling singles, that Victory is their best-selling album does not make it successful, selling 4M in the 80s is a failure, especially when one of its members sold 20/30M with their previous album.

I don't think albums with his brothers have affected sales of his solo career, after the success of Off The Wall, he barely sold 3M with Triumph and was successful with Thriller again, beating Off The Wall.

that Victory is their best-selling album does not make it successful, selling 4M in the 80s is a failure, especially when one of its members sold 20/30M with their previous album.

I knew there was back fire with Victory.

I don't think albums with his brothers have affected sales of his solo career, after the success of Off The Wall, he barely sold 3M with Triumph and was successful with Thriller again, beating Off The Wall.

I agree. to be real with you his solo albums got more sells then the ones with his brothers. this was when his brothers got jealous of him.

Back