Things That You Believe Weren't Necessary/Didn't Add Value to MJ's Performances

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
Certain planned, staged things that took place while he was performing on stage did not add value to his performance.

I am referring to any type of performance (tours, award performances, one-time performances, etc).

For example:

The staged, bug incident (that took place in many HIStory concerts, and not just in one) where Michael Jackson had to call one of his bodyguards in order to supposedly take it away but without killing it.

Slash’s refusal to leave the stage but instead to keep playing his guitar until the ‘Billie Jean’ performance begins.

Michael Jackson and his back up dancers jumping up and down and doing random meaningless moves for nearly two and a half minutes at the end of ‘Beat It’ (especially, during the HIStory Tour).

His messianic way of performing ‘Earth Song’ in some cases where he was acting like Jesus (such as, at the Brit Awards in 1996).

Singing (lip-syncing) his first lines from ‘You Are Not Alone’ almost always from backstage (HIStory Tour).

Asking the audience if he can come down there during ‘She's Out Of My Life', when in fact he almost never came down there, but instead a female fan had to step onto the stage.

Falling down on his knees (during ‘Man In The Mirror’), and one of the back up singers having to approach him and help him to stand up again (like, at the 1988 Grammy Awards Performance).

Being dressed in that astronaut suit and being prepared for supposedly flying off the stage on a jetpack towards the end of 'Man In The Mirror' (Dangerous Tour).

Discuss.

I couldn't disagree with you more!

Half of the things you just mentioned are what makes a Michael Jackson show...a Michael Jackson show.

For example:

mj_frenzy;4289194 said:
Being dressed in that astronaut suit and being prepared for supposedly flying off the stage on a jetpack towards the end of 'Man In The Mirror' (Dangerous Tour)

mj_frenzy;4289194 said:
Falling down on his knees (during ‘Man In The Mirror’), and one of the back up singers having to approach him and help him to stand up again (like, at the 1988 Grammy Awards Performance).

mj_frenzy;4289194 said:
Michael Jackson and his back up dancers jumping up and down and doing random meaningless moves for nearly two and a half minutes at the end of ‘Beat It’ (especially, during the HIStory Tour).

mj_frenzy;4289194 said:
Slash’s refusal to leave the stage but instead to keep playing his guitar until the ‘Billie Jean’ performance begins.

Would you prefer going to a Michael Jackson concert and see him stand there for 2 hours doing nothing?

Re: Things that did not add value to his performance

The bug thing was staged? Wow... Okay...

And I agree about the messianic Earth Song.

Would you prefer going to a Michael Jackson concert and see him stand there for 2 hours doing nothing?
Well heck, the audience was cheering loud when Michael was just standing still (like on the Dangerous Tour before Jam), so...:D

Lol, anyway, I gotta kind of disagree with mj_frenzy on the topic of this thread. Most of these acts, though some of them can be a tad bit overdone or unnecessary, actually do add to the entertainment factor of performances. I mean, is it nice to see Michael singing a ballad, with just him and a mic stand and his voice? Sure thing. But would it be cool to see Michael in an astronaut suit getting ready to fly on out of the venue, even though he actually did not? Sure thing. A lot of these acts help dramatize the show a little bit more, if that makes sense. Seeing Michael land on his knees after spins during Man In The Mirror just conveys to me the effort and emotion he puts in his performances. Heck, I cannot imagine any spins in Man In the Mirror where he does not fall on his knees afterwards. As the moonwalk is to his Billie Jean, falling on his knees after spinning just fits for Man In The Mirror, at least in my view.

About that jumping around chaos in Beat It and Black Or White, it is just to get the audience riled up! I mean, maybe it does not fit in a concert like Johannesburg 1997, where he was just so out of it, but like in Copenhagen 1992, it's insane to watch! It emphasizes that upbeat and crazy tone of those two songs, and even I can feel the energetic atmosphere! Better to see Michael jumping up and down and really feeling the energy than him dancing without energy and holding his mic so frequently.

That "Can I Come Down There?" part in SOOML? Just to excite the audience, I guess, especially the fangirls. Once again just adds to the show experience, just feeling that Michael will in fact step down from the stage and personally interact with the crowd, even though he won't.

All in all, the majority of the "acts" you mention just add dramatic and an almost exciting effect to the show as a whole. I will agree, however, that the whole gimmick with Slash at the MTV VMAs and the MJ & Friends concerts was kind of unnecessary, but even then, it still kind of gave extra time for Michael to prepare for Billie Jean in the end. :)

Well heck, the audience was cheering loud when Michael was just standing still (like on the Dangerous Tour before Jam), so...:D

Lol...yeah your right!

Lol, anyway, I gotta kind of disagree with mj_frenzy on the topic of this thread. Most of these acts, though some of them can be a tad bit overdone or unnecessary, actually do add to the entertainment factor of performances. I mean, is it nice to see Michael singing a ballad, with just him and a mic stand and his voice? Sure thing. But would it be cool to see Michael in an astronaut suit getting ready to fly on out of the venue, even though he actually did not? Sure thing. A lot of these acts help dramatize the show a little bit more, if that makes sense. Seeing Michael land on his knees after spins during Man In The Mirror just conveys to me the effort and emotion he puts in his performances. Heck, I cannot imagine any spins in Man In the Mirror where he does not fall on his knees afterwards. As the moonwalk is to his Billie Jean, falling on his knees after spinning just fits for Man In The Mirror, at least in my view.

About that jumping around chaos in Beat It and Black Or White, it is just to get the audience riled up! I mean, maybe it does not fit in a concert like Johannesburg 1997, where he was just so out of it, but like in Copenhagen 1992, it's insane to watch! It emphasizes that upbeat and crazy tone of those two songs, and even I can feel the energetic atmosphere! Better to see Michael jumping up and down and really feeling the energy than him dancing without energy and holding his mic so frequently.

That "Can I Come Down There?" part in SOOML? Just to excite the audience, I guess, especially the fangirls. Once again just adds to the show experience, just feeling that Michael will in fact step down from the stage and personally interact with the crowd, even though he won't.

All in all, the majority of the "acts" you mention just add dramatic and an almost exciting effect to the show as a whole. I will agree, however, that the whole gimmick with Slash at the MTV VMAs and the MJ & Friends concerts was kind of unnecessary, but even then, it still kind of gave extra time for Michael to prepare for Billie Jean in the end.

You nailed it! I agree with you.

It was meant to be fun. hello entertainment people. (y)

Not that it makes the show worse but the fact that people to this day think that MJ was actually fighting onstage with his brother Randy at the 30th anniversary concerts baffle me. It is clearly pretend.

Another thing that bugs me is how people seem to think that MJ was annoyed that his duet partner sang his part in IJCSLY in Brunei. That was obviously planned, as he never sang that part. Also the people that say he cried at the end of the song because Brad messed up, when in actuality he always cried at the end of the song.

mj_frenzy;4289194 said:

I guess you've never seen a James Brown performance. Do you mean the actual spinning and falling down or the fact that Andre had to help him up ala james brown? To me, the spins in MITM is integral to the performances just like the moonwalk is to billie jean and you can tell by the audience reaction that they always go crazy on those parts during MITM.

One thing i didn't like was the tank during Earth Song.

Not that it makes the show worse but the fact that people to this day think that MJ was actually fighting onstage with his brother Randy at the 30th anniversary concerts baffle me. It is clearly pretend.

Another thing that bugs me is how people seem to think that MJ was annoyed that his duet partner sang his part in IJCSLY in Brunei. That was obviously planned, as he never sang that part. Also the people that say he cried at the end of the song because Brad messed up, when in actuality he always cried at the end of the song.

Hahahahahaha :laughing:

If you see a concert just once it's ok but if you see 2 or 4 shows all those things get a bit irritating. There was never much room for spontaneity in MJ shows. But Earth Song is by far his most irritating live performance.
In fact to me it got so boring that the only part I enjoyed during the HIStory tour is to see how the random fangirl that was invited on stage would react during YANA.

mj_frenzy;4289194 said:

I love MITM performances. Michael was feeling it. it was suppose to be emotional. MAKE THAT CHANGE. (y)

There are people who think that Michael actually collapsed and had to be helped up during Man In The Mirror on the Dangerous Tour. Even though that was part of the act.

I never understood the Brad thing.

The band were playing live so why would Brad stop the track? What has it got to do with him?

analogue;4289224 said:
There are people who think that Michael actually collapsed and had to be helped up during Man In The Mirror on the Dangerous Tour. Even though that was part of the act.

Probably the same people who believe MJ likened himself to Jesus in his Brits Award performance. :laughing:

Can’t be such a bad actor when people take his stage act for real. :D

Michael was a spiritual man. of course he wasn't jesus it was all a act. it was for entertainment.

Last edited:

Michael was a spiritual man. of course he wasn't jesus it was all a act. it was for entertainment.

Exactly. He certainly channeled that spirituality for his intense performances, but he never ever put his real self on a pedestal.

Exactly. He certainly channeled that spirituality for his intense performances, but he never ever put his real self on a pedestal.

I agree. Actually there was a reaction to the Earth Song "scandal" at the time (unfortunately I don't remember the author so I couldn't find it, most probably it doesn't even exist in digital format) that explained the roots of MITM/ES and other "Jesus-like" performances coming from gospel and passion play tradition, and that saying it's "acting messianic" is a misinterpretation of those allegorical gestures without recognizing the cultural background. It's indeed about channeling spirituality, in this sense even Jesus to some extent, but not in the "I'm the messiah" kind of way, but by identifying with and personifying some kind of spirituality (be it Jesus, his message, humanity or the Earth).

Hahaha, I would be very concerned for his health if he was collapsing at the end of every concert ? You gotta love that he was able to convince people of that though

ozemouze;4289234 said:
I agree. Actually there was a reaction to the Earth Song "scandal" at the time (unfortunately I don't remember the author so I couldn't find it, most probably it doesn't even exist in digital format) that explained the roots of MITM/ES and other "Jesus-like" performances coming from gospel and passion play tradition, and that saying it's "acting messianic" is a misinterpretation of those allegorical gestures without recognizing the cultural background. It's indeed about channeling spirituality, in this sense even Jesus to some extent, but not in the "I'm the messiah" kind of way, but by identifying with and personifying some kind of spirituality (be it Jesus, his message, humanity or the Earth).

That’s exactly the point. :)

Jarvis or whatever his name was, the dude who exposed his butt that day, didn’t seem to be educated on these matters. :D

I see no problem with any of it. Remember not everyone is able to see a MJ show twice. Also, when he did "she is out of my life", he use to sit on the edge of the stage but he could not later. He would get pulled off.

ScreenOrigami;4289237 said:
That’s exactly the point. :)

Jarvis or whatever his name was, the dude who exposed his butt that day, didn’t seem to be educated on these matters. :D

And Jarvis had not been able to get back up since. It was just jealousy. Also, Jarvis does not know black culture. That kind of thing is done in many black churches.

terrell;4289243 said:
And Jarvis had not been able to get back up since. It was just jealousy. Also, Jarvis does not know black culture. That kind of thing is done in many black churches.

I agree. It all comes down to cultural ignorance, in my opinion. And if you zoom out and look at the whole stage act at the Brits, it essentially looks like a living painting of an apocalyptic scenario. Just as if a painting in a museum came to life. Personally, I like that whole performance a lot. There’s a version on YouTube where they cut out the butt-dude, so that’s actually nice to watch. :)

All this stuff is what makes his shows fun. I know it is all silly, but they add an element to the concert that other artists don't.

He can just come out and perform songs, but to me I enjoy these events happening during the concerts.

Remember that before youtube, concerts were once in a lifetime in person experiences. Michael's intent was not for people to be able to watch him do these "routines" at multiple locations. This was supposed to be an in person fun part of the show.

I simply don't have anything to compare with MJ concerts. I've only seen blockbuster concerts by Michael Jackson. I have no clue what other high profile artists do in their live shows.

ScreenOrigami;4289250 said:
I agree. It all comes down to cultural ignorance, in my opinion. And if you zoom out and look at the whole stage act at the Brits, it essentially looks like a living painting of an apocalyptic scenario. Just as if a painting in a museum came to life. Personally, I like that whole performance a lot. There’s a version on YouTube where they cut out the butt-dude, so that’s actually nice to watch. :)

And look at that, MJ was doing something to show spirtual, Jarvis show his @$$. GOes to show who had CLASS. Jarvis could care less about anything "christ like" or he would not have done what he did. That's was a JEALOUSY move. Nothing else. That fool probably do not even pray.

Last edited:
terrell;4289260 said:
And look at that, MJ was doing something to show spirtual, Jarvis show his @$$. GOes to show who had CLASS. Jarvis could care less about anything "christ like" or he would not have done what he did. That's was a JEALOUSY move. Nothing else. That fool probably do not even pray.

Somewhere around the mid-90’s, cynicism became cool, and people did things that don’t shine a good light on them in the grand scheme of things. Butt-Man is just one example. :)

Using the cherry picker for Beat It on the HIStory Tour added nothing. On the previous tours the cherry picker would go out into the audience, but on the HIStory Tour Michael didn't do that. But he makes up for it on Earth Song.

I simply don't have anything to compare with MJ concerts. I've only seen blockbuster concerts by Michael Jackson. I have no clue what other high profile artists do in their live shows.

I mostly know rock shows, so for example Iron Maiden always bring their huge mascot monster Eddie in one form or another, and Alice Cooper has a real horror show going on, complete with guillotines and stuff. Just browse some of the bigger names on YouTube, some bands have spectacular live shows. :D

Michael puts his arms out and has the people surrounding him come up and touch/hug him like he's their saviour, with those fake amazement/relief expressions, all while wearing white and backlit. Making himself out to look like a saviour is not "spiritual" it is messianic.

Back