Did Michael ever finish his version of groove of midnight

Iwasaloser619

Proud Member
Just wondering if he ever finished this song. I love Siedah’s, I also like the snippets I wish I we could here the whole thing.

I hoped and prayed Groove Of Midnight would be in Bad 25! I also keep hearing conflicting stories that Rod at that time wouldn’t approve it, wanted too much for it and the tapes were lost! 🤔😢

Michael Jackson appeared to be extremely unwilling to record and include songs on the 'BAD' album that were presented to him by external songwriters (with the exception of 'Just Good Friends' and 'Man In The Mirror').

'Groove Of Midnight' was one of these songs (written by Rod Temperton), so this seems to explain why he never bothered to finish it for the album.

It has been said that the reason for that was that he wanted for this specific album his songwriting input to be as much as possible in order not only to show to people that he was also a songwriter but also because that would help him to get bigger songwriting royalties for this album in general.

Michael Jackson appeared to be extremely unwilling to record and include songs on the 'BAD' album that were presented to him by external songwriters (with the exception of 'Just Good Friends' and 'Man In The Mirror').
oh no, "Just Good Friends"?
Did he really think it was that good?

oh no, "Just Good Friends"?
Did he really think it was that good?

I recall reading that MJ was having a hard time finding other artists to do duets throughout his career, so if this was a song Stevie approved of he probably just went with the flow. Possible he also wanted to have his "The Girl Is Mine" for Bad.

'Groove Of Midnight' was one of these songs (written by Rod Temperton), so this seems to explain why he never bothered to finish it for the album.

It has been said that the reason for that was that he wanted for this specific album his songwriting input to be as much as possible in order not only to show to people that he was also a songwriter but also because that would help him to get bigger songwriting royalties for this album in general.
I don’t know how early on it was recorded. I’d say early January of 87. We know Michael had most of Bad already recorded in 85/86. Groove Of Midnight I believe has more recorded then we actually think exist

Isn't this the one that they couldn't find when doing bad 25 or some other project. Seems like the complete tape is lost. Although the estate isn't the best when it comes to having the music of the artist they are supposed to represent so who knows where the tapes could be sitting.

@SeriousEffect what is the reasoning he couldn't find artists to duet with easily?
scheduling problems can't be it, you make it work if you want to work together. Maybe they didn't want to be upstaged, Maybe they didn't like the songs presented to them. It is weird

George Michael sang with Aretha, she knew Michael from when he was little. It would have been really cool.

Isn't this the one that they couldn't find when doing bad 25 or some other project. Seems like the complete tape is lost. Although the estate isn't the best when it comes to having the music of the artist they are supposed to represent so who knows where the tapes could be sitting.
Wasn't that Scared of the Moon?

Wasn't that Scared of the Moon?
“Scared of the Moon” involved MJ misplacing the master tapes for the demo shortly after recording it (e.g., 1984-85). The version that came out is a cassette rip of the demo with extra instruments dubbed atop it (similar to what was done with “This Is It” and “Love Never Felt So Good”).

“Groove of Midnight” was on the shortlist for Bad 25, but Matt Forger and co. couldn’t locate a recording of it in the archives, which led them to assume that it just… wasn’t recorded. Seems presumptuous if you ask me, but hey, I don’t have a key to the vault.

“Groove of Midnight” was on the shortlist for Bad 25, but Matt Forger and co. couldn’t locate a recording of it in the archives, which led them to assume that it just… wasn’t recorded. Seems presumptuous if you ask me, but hey, I don’t have a key to the vault.
A audio cassette containig GoM has been auctioned some years ago.

A audio cassette containig GoM has been auctioned some years ago.
I saw that! I wonder if it was Rod’s writer’s demo or the actual song though.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if the song really didn’t exist. The leaked “snippet” is just Michael singing one or two lines a cappella between takes. That doesn’t necessarily mean he was recording THAT song.

I saw that! I wonder if it was Rod’s writer’s demo or the actual song though.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if the song really didn’t exist. The leaked “snippet” is just Michael singing one or two lines a cappella between takes. That doesn’t necessarily mean he was recording THAT song.
That's entirely possible, never really thought about that. Although also wouldn't be surprised if it's legitimately just sitting somewhere haha. The estate have shown that they aren't overly concerned with finding things that aren't sitting in front of them.

I think he was. You can hear Rod Temperton’s voice, so he was present at the session which would be weird if Michael wasn’t recording one of his songs. I don’t know of any other ones Rod wrote for the Bad album.

“Scared of the Moon” involved MJ misplacing the master tapes for the demo shortly after recording it (e.g., 1984-85). The version that came out is a cassette rip of the demo with extra instruments dubbed atop it (similar to what was done with “This Is It” and “Love Never Felt So Good”).

Do you know what other songs were considered for Bad 25?

Back