Early configuration of Bad

Fuzball

Proud Member
This was posted by Brad Sundberg some ages ago.

I'd love to listen to the full adlibs of Liberian Girl. And Streetwalker, of course.

Side A
1 Streetwalker 4:30
2 Bad 4:05
3 Hot Fever 4:58
4 Speed Demon 4:08
5 Liberian Girl 3:54
6 Just5 Good Friends 4:04

Side B
1 Another Part Of Me 3:52
2 Man In The Mirror 5:17
3 I Just Can't Stop 4:22
4 Dirty Diana 4:49
5 Smooth Criminal 4:16

hskBFqZ.jpg

They set up is actually pretty good, TWYMMF is the only song that is missing. I always felt that the Bad album was too short

They set up is actually pretty good, TWYMMF is the only song that is missing. I always felt that the Bad album was too short

Hot Fever is an early version of The Way You Make Me Feel.

It's true! I had my cassette without Leave Me Alone. I have to buy the mixes of Bad. This was in Argentina.
A1 Malo (Bad) (Dance Extended Mix) 8:24
B1 Malo (Bad) (Dub Version) 4:05
B2 Dejame Solo (Leave Me Alone) 4:40
After listening to Fly Away I regretted so much it had to be cut out...

Not sure how I feel about opening the album with "Streetwalker," honestly. "Bad" is just such a bombastic, dynamic, "I'M BACK MOTHER*******" track that it's hard to beat.

In the end, I'm glad "Streetwalker" got cut. Good tune, but I lose interest about halfway through. Plus, "Leave Me Alone" puts it to shame.

Side note: I see a tape in there that says "MJ Tour '93 - Remember the Time." Is it possible that Michael was planning on reinserting "Remember the Time" into the set list, before the Chandler incident?

Side note: I see a tape in there that says "MJ Tour '93 - Remember the Time." Is it possible that Michael was planning on reinserting "Remember the Time" into the set list, before the Chandler incident?

That's what I was gonna say. I think he was planning to at least rehearse it for the 93' leg.

In the end, I'm glad "Streetwalker" got cut. Good tune, but I lose interest about halfway through. Plus, "Leave Me Alone" puts it to shame.

I wonder why Streetwaklker didn't make it onto cd as the 12th track.

That's possible. On the bottom of that pic there's a partially visible tape (covered by the Ghosts tape) which reads
Michael Jackson - Mixes
TOUR .........s

1. Jam
2. In the Closet
3. Remember The Time
4. Heal the World
5. Black or White
6. Who is it
7. Will You Be there
8. B......
It looks like MJ was eyeing to perform/rehearse more songs from Dangerous.

note: the "MICHAEL JACKSON DAT 2 (5-03-91)" could have been compiled for the "DECADE" project.

"Hot Fever" is on my top 5 songs I want to listen... We'll ever get a chance?

"Hot Fever" is on my top 5 songs I want to listen... We'll ever get a chance?

You have heard it already. "Hot Fever" is an earlier title for TWYMMF when the track had barely lyrics. However it was kept until prior to the release of the BAD album.

You have heard it already. "Hot Fever" is an earlier title for TWYMMF when the track had barely lyrics. However it was kept until prior to the release of the BAD album.

I knew it was the TWYMMF Demo, but I thought it was a kind of a different song (like Starlight and Thriller).
So, if it doesn't have much lyrics, is it just an instrumental base?

I knew it was the TWYMMF Demo, but I thought it was a kind of a different song (like Starlight and Thriller).
So, if it doesn't have much lyrics, is it just an instrumental base?

It has started as an instrumental track, but as I've already said the song was just kept being titled "Hot Fever" since June or July 1987 - despite having full "TWYMMF" lyrics since early 1986 or so.

It has started as an instrumental track, but as I've already said the song was just kept being titled "Hot Fever" since June or July 1987 - despite having full "TWYMMF" lyrics since early 1986 or so.

TWYMMF dates as early as October 1985 on a tape named "Hot Fever" (along with demos for other tracks, like Smooth Criminal & Dirty Diana). Also studio material from the time lists the name of the songs as "The Way You Make Me Feel (Hot Fever)".

They did rehearse In The Closet and Can't Let Her Get Away but they never performed them.

Except that time when the band performed the instrumental version of In The Closet in Toulouse (France).
I'm not sure but I read somewhere that they did it as an homage to Princess Stephanie of Monaco (aka Mystery Girl on the song credits).

The ‘BAD’ album is not only too short, but they also should have done some things differently.

‘Streetwalker’ should have been included (not necessarily as the opening track) because it is the thematically dark version of the ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ song, and both songs would have complemented one another on the album.

‘Liberian Girl’ needed the inclusion of a third verse, because this great ballad feels incomplete and very short with only two verses.

They should have included the extended lyrics of the second verse of ‘Smooth Criminal’ because the song has a much better flow with those extra lyrics on it.

They should not have sped-up the ‘Dirty Diana’ song, because it is a rock song.

They should have cut these pointless and unnecessary first 6 seconds of the ‘Another Part Of Me’ song intro.

These are some of the most important changes/improvements that the official version of the 'BAD' album needed.

mj_frenzy;4290609 said:
The ‘BAD’ album is not only too short, but they also should have done some things differently.

‘Streetwalker’ should have been included (not necessarily as the opening track) because it is the thematically dark version of the ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ song, and both songs would have complemented one another on the album.

‘Liberian Girl’ needed the inclusion of a third verse, because this great ballad feels incomplete and very short with only two verses.

They should have included the extended lyrics of the second verse of ‘Smooth Criminal’ because the song has a much better flow with those extra lyrics on it.

They should have cut these pointless and unnecessary first 6 seconds of the ‘Another Part Of Me’ song intro.

These are some of the most important changes/improvements that the official version of the 'BAD' album needed.

BAD too short?? - There was a limited time on a LP - so how on earth would you make it longer? - They even had to speed songs up to make space...

mj_frenzy;4290609 said:

Imagine thinking you know better than Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones.

Honestly.

BAD too short?? - There was a limited time on a LP - so how on earth would you make it longer? - They even had to speed songs up to make space...

Release a double album! :D :listeningtomusic

Bad is a perfect album as it is, but I agree it's short in the sense that I could listen to this type of sound/songs much longer (but I love the length of Dangerous/History, and the neverending Dangerous demos as well, so...). Considering that the possibility of a double album came into play the "what if" factor remains intriguing to me...

I would say BAD is the perfect length - Dangerous and HIStory are propably my favorite albums - but I do actually feel 1-2 songs could have been removed to make the album more tight.

CLHGA and maybe SDMW could have been released as b-sides on singles. - Then it would be 12 perfect songs. - I like CLHGA and SDMW - but they feel a bit like b-sides IMO.

Same with HIStory I would remove TTA and Come Together - and release them as b-sides.

A question - has HIStory ever been released without the long intro?

BAD is longer than Off The Wall and Thriller.

A LOT longer actually.

Too many songs is not always a good thing. - Invincible could have gotten a better pace/tempo if it was cut to maybe 12-13 songs. It could make a better flow.

I will say however - the only song I might consider changing on BAD is Just Good Friends. - JGF could/should have been released either as a stand alone single or as a b-side on a single. - Like Come Together was released as a b-side to one of the BAD singles. Streetwalker could have replaces JGF.

Speaking of Just Good Friends one thing I don't understand is why Stevie Wonder's name wasn't written on the album tracklist. With a massive name like Stevie's you'd think the tracklist would have read ''Just Good Friends (Featuring Stevie Wonder)''

Speaking of Just Good Friends one thing I don't understand is why Stevie Wonder's name wasn't written on the album tracklist. With a massive name like Stevie's you'd think the tracklist would have read ''Just Good Friends (Featuring Stevie Wonder)''

I have no idea - but maybe that was just how they did it back in 1987. - had it been released today there is no doubt it would say featuring Stevie Wonder with BIG letters. :)

I have no idea - but maybe that was just how they did it back in 1987. - had it been released today there is no doubt it would say featuring Stevie Wonder with BIG letters. :)

They did it with Paul McCartney on Thriller and they did it with Siedah Garrett on BAD. Maybe they wanted Stevie to be a surprise for the listener?

Funny story about that. When I heard JGF for the first time as a kid, I didn't know who Stevie was, and for a long time I actually thought Michael changed his voice.

Last edited:
Same with HIStory I would remove TTA and Come Together - and release them as b-sides.

A question - has HIStory ever been released without the long intro?

Come Together has been released as b-side on Remember The Times single, it contains a longer outro for more than one minute longer. (So I even wondered why they added it to HIStory)
https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-Remember-The-Time/release/200095

HIStory has been released as RADIO EDIT on some CD singles too ;)
https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-HIStory-Ghosts/release/532713

Back