Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,008 Posts

Default Re: THE JACKSON 5 - I Will Never Forget 23rd June, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Line View Post
    Wow, that was a great read! Thank you so much for all the details.

I must confess that I get quite jealous lol when I see older fans describe what it was like to be a Michael Jackson fan from the very beginning. Unfortunately, I was born too late and I only really became a fan of Michael after his passing, so I never got to experience what it was like to Jackson 5 fan at the height of their fame or a Michael Jackson fan at the height of his fame.
    Thank you so much. My aim in sharing my memories is to make readers feel as though they are actually there, transported back in time. I really, truly feel as though Michael has always been a part of me. It's as though we grew up together, you know? Leading parallel lives.

I usually find that young fans wrestle with the fact that there's hardly ever any pictorial evidence of the things that the older fans are trying to describe. The minutia of daily life is constantly documented through photos, videos, written anecdotes and so on, nowadays and shared with everyone on social media....but for people living through the sixties, seventies and eighties, that just wasn't possible. All we have are our memories and the opportunity to share them, through our stories.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,008 Posts

In Conclusion

"I Wanna Be Where You Are" was a wonderful song choice to finish the night. So smooth and jazzy. Michael was confident and so free with the ad libs.....just....groovy!!

YEP. I wanted to be where Michael was, too....and watch him perform/sing forever.

Sometimes I still muse about this Jackson Five concert and I am still incredulous about it. What an experience for my FIRST concert, on my FIRST real date with my FIRST real boyfriend! Something magical was ignited that night. Was it from the electricity I spoke of? Was it the emotional roller-coaster ride? Was it the bonding of souls in the room through their connection to the artists? It's hard to know. What I can tell you is that I married that boyfriend and we are still married.....44 years this December....and I still love Michael Jackson to the moon and back.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

Through reading your fabulous posts I had just one burning question in my mind. Did Mikke Dee get to marry the guy that bought her the J5 tickets...
    I was hoping your stories wouldn't end on a cliffhanger and they didn't! You concluded your experience perfectly with the last post :-)
    Congratulations on a long and lasting marriage!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JichaelMackson For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

Thank you so much for this fantastic read, completed with personal details, infos, pictures and connecting media, I very much enjoyed it, including the serial type storytelling.

...my only "complaint" is that I'm jealous as well... A J5 concert is a reason for time machines.

Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    Through reading your fabulous posts I had just one burning question in my mind. Did Mikke Dee get to marry the guy that bought her the J5 tickets...
    I was hoping your stories wouldn't end on a cliffhanger and they didn't! You concluded your experience perfectly with the last post :-)
    Congratulations on a long and lasting marriage!
    Oh yes, I was rooting for a happy end in that regard as well. Congrats and thank you for the lovely story!
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ozemouze For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Well i'm glad you enjoy the concert. not many fans are lucky enough to actually go to one. especially a J5 or Jacksons. you was very lucky.

and congrats on the marriage. not many people stay together that long. i don't know, i guess things are different then it was back then. most older couples of the other decades tend to stay together then people in these decades. like i said. i'm not sure why. maybe love doesn't exist anymore or people don't find their right one or maybe they just fall out of it. (yes i believe in that. i saw it lots of times.)

i don't know things are much different then were almost 50 years ago.

anyway great story and congrats.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

LMBO! younger/newer fans not agreeing everything older fans say? lol! how do they know if they wasn't born yet or wasn't even a fan until a type of era. i find that funny. BUT i do agree that even through many older tell us stories always isn't the truth. like they exist and see them a lot which makes this fandom hard to trust sometimes. it's really sad that we have them because older fans are suppose to be the ones who help younger/newer fans.

but i agree through, you can not trust everything people say all the time no matter who their are because the stories can change once different people get a hold to it.
    especially nowadays since we have internet etc.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    Thank you so much. My aim in sharing my memories is to make readers feel as though they are actually there, transported back in time. I really, truly feel as though Michael has always been a part of me. It's as though we grew up together, you know? Leading parallel lives.

I usually find that young fans wrestle with the fact that there's hardly ever any pictorial evidence of the things that the older fans are trying to describe. The minutia of daily life is constantly documented through photos, videos, written anecdotes and so on, nowadays and shared with everyone on social media....but for people living through the sixties, seventies and eighties, that just wasn't possible. All we have are our memories and the opportunity to share them, through our stories.
    The scarcity of authentic reports from back in the day makes yours even more memorable and important. Thanks for adding a piece of MJ history to out collective consciousness.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    The scarcity of authentic reports from back in the day makes yours even more memorable and important. Thanks for adding a piece of MJ history to out collective consciousness.
    Sadly this comes from a a lack of interest. I have a feeling there is a divide between Jackson Motown fans and fans that started following since thriller.
    What the fans from thriller onwards don't realize though is that MJ was already a fantastic live act in the 70s. I was the same 20 years ago, I'm sure many will turn their attention to the 70s if they'd get the chance to see proper footage of this era

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 919 Posts

Sadly this comes from a a lack of interest. I have a feeling there is a divide between Jackson Motown fans and fans that started following since thriller.
    What the fans from thriller onwards don't realize though is that MJ was already a fantastic live act in the 70s. I was the same 20 years ago, I'm sure many will turn their attention to the 70s if they'd get the chance to see proper footage of this era
    To be honest with you, and it’s a bit embarrassing for me to admit this here – when Thriller came out, I didn’t even know that MJ was the same person as the little dude that I had seen with the J5 on TV a couple of times when I was a kid.

I was brought up on rock music, so that Motown stuff never really registered with me. I had to grow older and expand my musical taste to discover all that.

And I’m very grateful to be able to read things like Mikky’s concert experience to get at least a glimpse of what it was like to live this at the time.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I'm a fan since Bad and I LOVE the J5.

The lack of footage is indeed a problem, but I don't think the situation is as tragic as you see it. All my fellow MJ fans are at least familiar with The Legend Continues and Moonwalker, both were great showcases for the J5 era as well. I remember watching snippets of the Goin' Back To Indiana concert and it was so energetic and so on fire like a rock concert, we were hooked immediately.

It's amazing to read first hand stories about these concerts from someone who was actually there.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozemouze View Post

The lack of footage is indeed a problem, but I don't think the situation is as tragic as you see it.
    It really is, the majority of MJ footage on YouTube is from the dangerous tour onwards, it also gets the most views (except for the bad Wembley concert)
    Just for comparison type in YouTube prince concert and you get an endless list of full prince concerts from 1979 till his last concerts.

What do we get as MJ fans? Some horrible snippets of footage mostly recorded with a frying pan.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

It really is, the majority of MJ footage on YouTube is from the dangerous tour onwards, it also gets the most views (except for the bad Wembley concert)
    Sorry if I wasn't clear: of course I agree with you that the lack of footage is a problem, what I meant by "not as tragic" is that I think most fans appreciate the J5 as well. Sure it would be easier with good quality recordings...

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    To be honest with you, and it’s a bit embarrassing for me to admit this here – when Thriller came out, I didn’t even know that MJ was the same person as the little dude that I had seen with the J5 on TV a couple of times when I was a kid.
    Maybe because he "grew" up. LOL!

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,044 Posts

Default 1970's concerts

Just for comparison type in YouTube prince concert and you get an endless list of full prince concerts from 1979 till his last concerts.
    Before the 1980s, I don't think it was all that common to film entire concerts. It was more common to record them and release a live album. Most music acts could not afford to hire a film crew to follow them around. That's a reason rock concerts by really popular bands (Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd) were more likely to be filmed than other genres, especially R&B. Then there was no home video market, so what would be the reason to film a concert? In general they would be filmed for a movie (Woodstock, Wattstax, Cocksucker Blues, etc.) or a TV special (Elvis Presley, Chicago).

PBS would show concerts, but they were usually for their own programming like Austin City Limits, not a regular full concert. Music acts would be on TV music shows like American Bandstand & Soul Train. These shows could not afford to have live performances and it would take longer to set up. They shot 2 or 3 episodes in one day, so it was cost efficient to have lip syncing and it saved time. These shows had low budgets. Occasionally Soul Train did have live performances in the early seasons, mostly the more well known R&B artists. Midnight Special had live performances, but sometimes had lip-syncing too.

Michael Jackson after Thriller had more money than The Jackson 5 did. He could afford to film his concerts. During the Jackson 5 days and before, it was common to have package concerts/tours over single act concerts.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post: