Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did the Pepsi Accident Change Michael?

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Did the Pepsi Accident Change Michael?

Quote Originally Posted by wonderouzmj View Post
    Um....why didnt coke want him? This'll be new to me
    The Cola Wars, between Pepsi and Coca-Cola. If Michael is working with Pepsi, then...yeah, Coca-Cola don't want him.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Rules View Post
    Anyway I never understood why he remained partner with Pepsi for almost 10 more years after that. He must have been full of offers by big companies so why he stayed with those who seriously put in danger his career and life?
    Because the Pepsi contract specified that he was not allowed to back out from the contract (that he signed with them in 1983) until the end of his Dangerous Tour in 1993.

So, even if he wanted to cancel the Pepsi contract prematurely after that accident, legally he was not allowed to do that.

Pepsi also used to give him complete quality control over the Pepsi commercials, something that Michael Jackson wanted.

There was also a great deal of money that Pepsi kept offering him, especially during the company’s sponsorship of his BAD Tour, so it would have been unwise for him to cancel that contract before 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by MOR316 View Post
    Tour sponsorship keeps ticket prices low for fans whilst the artist gets their cut, regardless.

Plus, we know why Coca Cola didn't want him and I doubt any other company out there would have sponsored his tours, put him on TV adverts to sell his music. Although, would have been funny to see Michael side shuffle in a pair of Doc Martens
    There was also the Quaker Oats Company (which although does not belong to the drink industry but to the food industry) was interested in signing him with a long-term contract that would put him on TV commercials, would sponsor the Victory Tour, would sponsor his later solo tours, etc., but Michael Jackson turned their offer down.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wonderouzmj View Post
    Um....why didnt coke want him? This'll be new to me
    They apparently considered him but, didn't see how he would appeal to a mass audience and thought he would only appeal to a more ethnic. black audience. They offered him a flimsy financial deal and he rejected it

Pepsi hesitated too but, whoever negotiated the deal at the time suggested the two adverts and Michael himself offered Billie Jean with new lyrics to the adverts and that's apparently what clinched it

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Level
    Thanks

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

Is Bob Giraldi really that stupid to tell Michael to stand longer by the explosives before going down the steps?

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Alright don’t know about or if I should look at those links with Detail on them I like to look at something that’s not trying to put MJ in the negative aspect so I don’t bother with their videos

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 928 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elton-Cetera View Post
    Is Bob Giraldi really that stupid to tell Michael to stand longer by the explosives before going down the steps?
    Seems like it. This is from Moonwalk:

“It seemed so simple. I was to walk down the stairs and these bombs would blow up behind me. We did several takes that were wonderfully timed. The lightning effects from the bombs were great. Only later did I find out that these bombs were only two feet away from either side of my head, which was a total disregard of the safety regulations. I was supposed to stand in the middle of a magnesium explosion, two feet on either side.

Then Bob Giraldi, the director, came to me and said, "Michael, you're going down too early. We want to see you up there, up on the stairs. When the lights come on, we want to reveal that you're there, so wait ."

So I waited, the bombs went off on either side of my head, and the sparks set my hair on fire. I was dancing down this ramp and turning around, spinning, not knowing I was on fire.”
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrisMJFan View Post
    Alright don’t know about or if I should look at those links with Detail on them I like to look at something that’s not trying to put MJ in the negative aspect so I don’t bother with their videos
    They’re usually okay to watch. They do those clickbaity titles, but the actual content is most of the time fairly well researched. There are a few exceptions, especially among their earlier videos, and of course they want you to buy stuff at their shop, but you can simply ignore that part.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,569 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    Seems like it. This is from Moonwalk:

“It seemed so simple. I was to walk down the stairs and these bombs would blow up behind me. We did several takes that were wonderfully timed. The lightning effects from the bombs were great. Only later did I find out that these bombs were only two feet away from either side of my head, which was a total disregard of the safety regulations. I was supposed to stand in the middle of a magnesium explosion, two feet on either side.

Then Bob Giraldi, the director, came to me and said, "Michael, you're going down too early. We want to see you up there, up on the stairs. When the lights come on, we want to reveal that you're there, so wait ."

So I waited, the bombs went off on either side of my head, and the sparks set my hair on fire. I was dancing down this ramp and turning around, spinning, not knowing I was on fire.”
    To be fair - this is only MJ's version of what happend. This was a 100 % accident - and I really don't think anyone was to blame. It was terrible and had a HUGE impact on MJ's life afterwards, but there is noone to blame. Sometimes bad things happen... this is just one of those situations.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago.

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

He shouldn't never did that tour....

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hess View Post
    To be fair - this is only MJ's version of what happend. This was a 100 % accident - and I really don't think anyone was to blame. It was terrible and had a HUGE impact on MJ's life afterwards, but there is noone to blame. Sometimes bad things happen... this is just one of those situations.
    Yes, accidents happen, but there's human responsibility/mistakes too (we don't know which one happened in this particular case without knowing the circumstances of course, but it's not something that can be ruled out either). I think we can accept as fact that multiple takes were done, and considering it wasn't an entirely safe stunt involving explosions they could have settled with the initial successful takes.
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozemouze View Post
    Yes, accidents happen, but there's human responsibility/mistakes too (we don't know which one happened in this particular case without knowing the circumstances of course, but it's not something that can be ruled out either). I think we can accept as fact that multiple takes were done, and considering it wasn't an entirely safe stunt involving explosions they could have settled with the initial successful takes.
    Michael Jackson’s hair got fire because of Bob Giraldi’s insistence for wanting to have him up there on the stairs when the pyrotechnics exploded.

And this was not just Michael Jackson’s version of how that Pepsi accident happened.

Donald Donester was also there and he witnessed the accident taking place in front of his eyes.

Donald Donester was at that time the Los Angeles Fire Department Captain.

According to Donald Donester, the director of the Pepsi video Bob Giraldi insisted that Michael Jackson had to wait on the platform until the explosion of the pyrotechnics.

…What happened is that the talent, Michael, was told by [Bob Giraldi] to stand there and look more majestic, so subsequently he stood under the sparks instead of being half way down the ramp when the pyrotechnics went off. He was actually under the pyrotechnics when they went off. Subsequently, you know, catching his hair on fire…You can blame [Bob Giraldi] for not communicating with the fire safety officers… What happened if we would have known what was going to be done, the communications were good until that point. And a lot of times when we’re out there as fire safety officers, the directors don’t want to be told no, so I’m sure that if he had brought that to us, we would have told him no…” (Donald Donester, Access Hollywood)

Donald Donester actually put the blame on Bob Giraldi’s insistence for wanting to have Michael Jackson up there on the stairs when the pyrotechnics exploded.

Miko Brando, who was also there during the shooting of that Pepsi commercial, confirmed both what Michael Jackson wrote in his ‘Moonwalk’ book about that, and what Donald Donester stated about that.

So, it was an accident brought on by Bob Giraldi’s mistake.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

What’s wrong with it being “only” MJ’s version? He was there. I take MJ’s word over anybody else’s. He has no reason to skew the facts. When he wrote this, the case was already settled. Why would he give an inaccurate account of the event?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,569 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    What’s wrong with it being “only” MJ’s version? He was there. I take MJ’s word over anybody else’s. He has no reason to skew the facts. When he wrote this, the case was already settled. Why would he give an inaccurate account of the event?
    This is sometimes what's wrong with fans - not only MJ fans. - But MJ lied (or said inaccurate stuff) many many times... MJ is not always the most reliable source.
    He made himself look good in Moonwalker - "I could have sued them, but we just made a settlement for only 1 million dollars..." - MJ writes something like that in the book, and it is making him llok good, so that's why he could have a interest in saying it.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago.

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

This is sometimes what's wrong with fans - not only MJ fans. - But MJ lied (or said inaccurate stuff) many many times... MJ is not always the most reliable source.
    He made himself look good in Moonwalker - "I could have sued them, but we just made a settlement for only 1 million dollars..." - MJ writes something like that in the book, and it is making him llok good, so that's why he could have a interest in saying it.
    But what should he say if that's what happened? And why would this make him look good? It's completely neutral.

And no, accidents shouldn't happen during shootings, there are protocols how to handle situation that may become dangerous (e.g. including explosion). There's responsibility if something goes wrong and compensation for the injured is a common process.

And please stop with the fan-generalizing, it's tiring. Or should I start with "there are those fans too, who always questions MJ but are ready to believe anyone else no matter how reliable they are"?
    Last edited by ozemouze; 29-05-2020 at 01:43 PM.
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ozemouze For This Useful Post: