“ I Want You Back” #2 Greatest Debut Single from Rolling Stone Magazine

somewhereinthedark

Proud Member
I was quite surprised that Rolling Stone Magazine did a recent poll of the 100 Greatest Debut Singles Of All Time , and I Want You Back was chosen by editors, industry types, etc. as the #2 Greatest Debut. The article was very positive, also. It talks about the greatness of the song and specifically mentions Michael as the “virtuoso lead singer” of the Jackson 5.

Last edited:
I Want You Back should have been number 1. Not only is it a great and timeless song, but it also launched the career of the biggest artist of all time. In contrast, Britney's Baby One More Time is an average song and Britney at her peak was nowhere near as big as MJ was. But this is Rolling Stones, so they can't have Michael at number 1.

Nite Line;4291240 said:
I Want You Back should have been number 1. Not only is it a great and timeless song, but it also launched the career of the biggest artist of all time. In contrast, Britney's Baby One More Time is an average song and Britney at her peak was nowhere near as big as MJ was. But this is Rolling Stones, so they can't have Michael at number 1.

I was still very surprised that he(J5) was at #2. Let’s not forget that this was a RECENT article and it was extremely positive about the song and MJ as a “virtuoso” lead singer of the group.

Can't believe Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing is at #97...

That song is so great. - Should have been in top 10

Technically this wasn't the debut single though. They released singles for Steeltown before IWYB. But I take it they mean debut singles that actually charted.

Steeltown

Technically this wasn't the debut single though. They released singles for Steeltown before IWYB. But I take it they mean debut singles that actually charted.
Steeltown was a local Gary label. It wasn't nationwide. Like where I live, there's local bands/singers who print up their own records/CDs and sell them at their concerts. A few record stores sell the local artist albums too. The Beatles had a record out as the backup band for Tony Sheridan. That's when Pete Best was still the drummer. It usually is not counted in their discography.

In the modern era, artists (usually rappers) release mixtapes and those are not always counted either. Probably because mixtapes are usually given away free and not sold.

Back