Thread: MJ and Racial Issues

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default MJ and Racial Issues

A while ago I watched ESPN's brilliant docuseries OJ: Made in America.

After the second episode, which focused on the Rodney King beating and the LA riots, it got me thinking. Did MJ ever speak out about that incident or other racial incidents? As arguably the most famous African-American in the world, you'd have thought he would've spoken out publicly? MJ had power and a voice like few other African-American's had at the time, or was he advised not to speak out about the racial tension in LA?

Be interested to hear people's thoughts on the matter, also considering what is happening in America right now.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 997 Posts

Default Re: MJ and Racial Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Gatesy2006 View Post

After the second episode, which focused on the Rodney King beating and the LA riots, it got me thinking. Did MJ ever speak out about that incident or other racial incidents? As arguably the most famous African-American in the world, you'd have thought he would've spoken out publicly? MJ had power and a voice like few other African-American's had at the time, or was he advised not to speak out about the racial tension in LA?

Be interested to hear people's thoughts on the matter, also considering what is happening in America right now.
    I think his way to comment on these issues was through his music and short films, most prominently in TDCAU and the Panther Dance in Black or White.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Michael always talk about racial issues. but what can you do when people won't listen?

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Michael Jackson also spoke out publicly about racial incidents that take place within the entertainment industry, when he gave a speech in Harlem (on July 6th, 2002).

In that speech, he stated that record companies steal, cheat and they do everything they can, especially against the black artists, in other words, record companies conspire against the black artists.

He also mentioned as an example the unfair treatment that some specific black artists got who had to tour all the time, otherwise they would go hungry (like James Brown, or Sammy Davis Jr.).

Michael Jackson also brought up (in that speech) the case of the American, black songwriter Otis Blackwell.

Otis Blackwell was one of the greatest R&B songwriters of all time and he wrote some of the greatest songs of Elvis Presley, but this songwriter died penniless in a Nashville hospital (in Tennessee).

Michael Jackson expressed his indignation about the unfair treatment towards Otis Blackwell when he also stated that no one wrote one book about Otis Blackwell at all, although Otis Blackwell’s songs are heard all over the world.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

But did he ever speak out about racial issues that were on going at the time, outside of the entertainment business? Can't recall him ever doing so?

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

But did he ever speak out about racial issues that were on going at the time, outside of the entertainment business? Can't recall him ever doing so?
    Yes. lots of times. he was for all people not just his culture. he loved his race and culture but he also loved all people as well.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

It makes me wanna cry what's going on right now. it's unfair and sad. all races and cultures all should be treated fairly. it's so sad. I hope all families get their justice. it really goes to show you racism still exist. why? i don't know. but it's very very sad.

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Remember the presence of force when people protested against stay at home orders, or wearing masks in public? The people peacefully protesting for a just cause achieving justice, while the privileged were punished accordingly for displaying serious aggression (shouting and carrying guns around like freaking terrorists) for no reasonable purpose?

Yeah, I don't either. Apparently, peacefully protesting (not looting or rioting) that black lives matter authorizes the use of military force (rubber bullets and tear gas) as opposed to protesting (on the steps of the capitol building) against orders to stay at home, close down public places, or wear masks (looking at you Karens, not anyone named Karen but ones who act like the current epitome of a Karen, out there) that would help slow down the pandemic.

What a twisted country, what a twisted world, we live in. The world never deserved Michael, or tried to understand the messages he wanted to get out, as some twisted people with their twisted mindsets just do not want to heal the world and make it a better place for the entire human race. Depressing.

(Sorry, a tad bit off-topic, but I just had to say that.)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Michael was too much for this world. he didn't belong here. we needed him but he didn't belong.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Level
    Thanks

Right now would be such a good time for Michael Jackson to be alive with the BLM movement around

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AdeZ For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

I notice the Rodney King beating is very similar to the george floyd thing. crazy. i think this stuff is really plan.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks