MJ and Racial Issues

Gatesy2006

Proud Member
A while ago I watched ESPN's brilliant docuseries OJ: Made in America.

After the second episode, which focused on the Rodney King beating and the LA riots, it got me thinking. Did MJ ever speak out about that incident or other racial incidents? As arguably the most famous African-American in the world, you'd have thought he would've spoken out publicly? MJ had power and a voice like few other African-American's had at the time, or was he advised not to speak out about the racial tension in LA?

Be interested to hear people's thoughts on the matter, also considering what is happening in America right now.

After the second episode, which focused on the Rodney King beating and the LA riots, it got me thinking. Did MJ ever speak out about that incident or other racial incidents? As arguably the most famous African-American in the world, you'd have thought he would've spoken out publicly? MJ had power and a voice like few other African-American's had at the time, or was he advised not to speak out about the racial tension in LA?

Be interested to hear people's thoughts on the matter, also considering what is happening in America right now.

I think his way to comment on these issues was through his music and short films, most prominently in TDCAU and the Panther Dance in Black or White.

Michael Jackson also spoke out publicly about racial incidents that take place within the entertainment industry, when he gave a speech in Harlem (on July 6th, 2002).

In that speech, he stated that record companies steal, cheat and they do everything they can, especially against the black artists, in other words, record companies conspire against the black artists.

He also mentioned as an example the unfair treatment that some specific black artists got who had to tour all the time, otherwise they would go hungry (like James Brown, or Sammy Davis Jr.).

Michael Jackson also brought up (in that speech) the case of the American, black songwriter Otis Blackwell.

Otis Blackwell was one of the greatest R&B songwriters of all time and he wrote some of the greatest songs of Elvis Presley, but this songwriter died penniless in a Nashville hospital (in Tennessee).

Michael Jackson expressed his indignation about the unfair treatment towards Otis Blackwell when he also stated that no one wrote one book about Otis Blackwell at all, although Otis Blackwell’s songs are heard all over the world.

But did he ever speak out about racial issues that were on going at the time, outside of the entertainment business? Can't recall him ever doing so?

But did he ever speak out about racial issues that were on going at the time, outside of the entertainment business? Can't recall him ever doing so?

Yes. lots of times. he was for all people not just his culture. he loved his race and culture but he also loved all people as well.

It makes me wanna cry what's going on right now. it's unfair and sad. all races and cultures all should be treated fairly. it's so sad. I hope all families get their justice. it really goes to show you racism still exist. why? i don't know. but it's very very sad. :cry:

Remember the presence of force when people protested against stay at home orders, or wearing masks in public? The people peacefully protesting for a just cause achieving justice, while the privileged were punished accordingly for displaying serious aggression (shouting and carrying guns around like freaking terrorists) for no reasonable purpose?

Yeah, I don't either. Apparently, peacefully protesting (not looting or rioting) that black lives matter authorizes the use of military force (rubber bullets and tear gas) as opposed to protesting (on the steps of the capitol building) against orders to stay at home, close down public places, or wear masks (looking at you Karens, not anyone named Karen but ones who act like the current epitome of a Karen, out there) that would help slow down the pandemic.

What a twisted country, what a twisted world, we live in. The world never deserved Michael, or tried to understand the messages he wanted to get out, as some twisted people with their twisted mindsets just do not want to heal the world and make it a better place for the entire human race. Depressing.

(Sorry, a tad bit off-topic, but I just had to say that.)

Michael was too much for this world. he didn't belong here. we needed him but he didn't belong.

Right now would be such a good time for Michael Jackson to be alive with the BLM movement around

I notice the Rodney King beating is very similar to the george floyd thing. crazy. i think this stuff is really plan.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">there are a lot of people who are fans of Michael Jackson but don&#8217;t have any knowledge about the struggles he faced as a black American, although he spoke about it in his music and on several occasions. it&#8217;s important to his history and i may do a video on this very soon.</p>&mdash; MJFANGIRL (@MJFanGirlBLOG) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJFanGirlBLOG/status/1268774825302122496?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 5, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back