Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: They Dont Care About Us EXPLODING in popularity - becoming MJs most influential song? Re-release?

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: They Dont Care About Us EXPLODING in popularity - becoming MJs most influential song? Re-release

Quote Originally Posted by Krshna28 View Post
    But with each view there's a chance that somebody saw the video and heard the song for the first time.

If the video starts trending, then maybe millions will see it for the first time.

Each view has the chance of spreading the message. Maybe more people will understand the hurt.
    Yes, that's what happening now, in this situation many people can resonate with a song written 25 year ago. It's because of the message, not the chart position, or YouTube - the latter is a only platform here (a tool, not a target).
    Last edited by ozemouze; 02-06-2020 at 10:10 PM.
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozemouze For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,169 Posts

Default Re: They Dont Care About Us EXPLODING in popularity - becoming MJs most influential song? Re-release

I can see DuranDuran’s point, though. If you look at how this thread appears on Twitter, it might be perceived as a bit overly gleeful and inappropriate.

This is – once again – more a problem with the automatic Tweets than with the actual content.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    I really don’t think that this is the issue.

2020 is probably the year the Estate realizes the relevance of MJ’s legacy.

We had Earth Song for the Australian fires, Heal the World for the pandemic, and now TDCAU for BLM. And the years isn’t even half over …
    I find extremely sad that Michael's music needs all of this events to be recognized and appreciated by the mass

Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,635 Times in 1,070 Posts

But with each view there's a chance that somebody saw the video and heard the song for the first time.

If the video starts trending, then maybe millions will see it for the first time.

Each view has the chance of spreading the message. Maybe more people will understand the hurt.
    Speeches mostly reach those who already know about it. I doubt the MAGA crowd are going to seek out this song or any others like it. They're probably listening to Johnny Rebel & Col. Sharecropper records. Even if they do hear the song, it's unlikely going to change their thinking. We have a Martin Luther King Jr. holiday and that has not stopped people from being bigoted. The current president is on their side calling protestors "thugs" & "hoodlums".

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Rules View Post
    I find extremely sad that Michael's music needs all of this events to be recognized and appreciated by the mass
    Well, They Don't Care About Us is about a very dark subject, so it naturally will only really get recognised when a tragedy like this happens.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nite Line For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

I can see DuranDuran’s point, though. If you look at how this thread appears on Twitter, it might be perceived as a bit overly gleeful and inappropriate.
    Sure, but then the post should be clearly aimed at that (I didn't check twitter so I wasn't aware of this - it doesn't look good indeed :/), but the generalizing "people around here" bit was unnecessary. Especially as many others already expressed concerns about not to exploit the situation.

It could always be a matter of debate whether artists responding to the world around them is "pure art" or just "profiting from the actual climate". The latter is a very cynical view though, and can't be entirely true, as people are social beings, of course they do react to each other and the things happening around them. BTW interesting that I don't remember similar concerns/critics when Earth Song or Heal The World "trended", also as responses to critical situations putting people's life in danger.

I don't know, maybe I'm just in desperate need of something hopeful, so reading "songs won't stop the police" don't help at all, even though I'm aware of that, obviously.
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ozemouze For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

As someone who uses music as therapy for everything in life myself, I just think it’s great to see that people find something to turn to in TDCAU to help them deal with their pain and anger.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozemouze View Post
    Sure, but then the post should be clearly targeted at that (I didn't check twitter so I wasn't aware of this - it doesn't look good indeed :/), but the generalizing "people around here" bit was unnecessary. Especially as many others already expressed concerns about not to exploit the situation.

It could always be a matter of debate whether artists responding to the world around them is "pure art" or just "profiting from the actual climate". The latter is a very cynical view though, and can't be entirely true, as people are social beings, of course they do react to each other and the things happening around them. BTW interesting that I don't remember similar concerns/critics when Earth Song or Heal The World "trended", also as responses to critical situations putting people's life in danger.

I don't know, maybe I'm just in desperate need of something hopeful, so reading "songs won't stop the police" don't help at all, even though I'm aware of that, obviously.
    I agree with you. And I think, it’s one of the purposes of art to respond to the world, in fact in my opinion this is the difference between art and pure entertainment. So I think it’s not only okay, but necessary for artists to react to events in a meaningful way. We need art in times like these. Just look at how one of the first things that happened was that fantastic mural they made in memory of George Floyd.

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I did send a lenghty email to the estate 24 hours ago where I detailed my observations regarding the song and asked them what they have in plan and how they view whats going on with it etc.

No response as of yet.

Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,635 Times in 1,070 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ozemouze View Post
    That's not what I said at all. I said chart hits & Youtube views won't stop the police or what's going on. Both of which were said in this thread. So was "helping Mike's legacy". I didn't look at Twitter, so I don't know anything about that.

Quote Originally Posted by AmitLal92 View Post
    Spotify have released a Black Lives Matter playlist and "They Don't Care About Us" is not on that list which is a shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmitLal92 View Post
    This song deserves to chart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
    Imagine if They Dont Care About Us became the "official" protest song like Thriller is with Halloween? The song surely deserves that kind of recognition, its underrated.
    Brazil version has almost 700million views. It might overtake Billie Jean in a week or two.
    The views are still coming. Maybe we should just believe.
    2020 is probably the year the Estate realizes the relevance of MJ’s legacy.

We had Earth Song for the Australian fires, Heal the World for the pandemic, and now TDCAU for BLM. And the years isn’t even half over …
    There's also this comment in a Tweet in the OP: "Why is there not a campaign by MJ fans to make They Don't Care About Us number 1 on the chart? If you check the prison & brazil version on YT, they are EXPLODING with views and positive comments, its AMAZING to see! The Estate should have already re-released the song!"

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,726 Posts

I've noticed this. One of my friends, who is a VERY casual Michael Jackson fan, shared a clip of "They Don't Care About Us" on his Facebook today. I was talking to him about it and he said, "I've never heard it before. It's f**king insane. I love it."

The song is finally getting the recognition it deserves. It is by far the best protest song I've ever heard.

I feel a bit... uncomfortable expressing excitement over this given the circumstances, but if this is the song people choose to play to express themselves, so be it.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    That's not what I said at all. I said chart hits & Youtube views won't stop the police or what's going on. Both of which were said in this thread. So was "helping Mike's legacy".
    I’m not quite sure why you quoted my post. Could you elaborate how you interpret the part that you bolded? Because I believe there’s a misunderstanding about the meaning of “legacy” here.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

Version 1 - Almost at 700,000,000 views
    Version 2 - Almost at 50,000,000 views

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elton-Cetera For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Rules View Post
    ?????

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Line View Post
    It's amazing how Michael has songs that could be applied to so many different situations and crisis. His music truly is timeless.
    That's how you make good music.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.