When Prince visited Michael Jackson in studio back in 1994: what happened?

MJJExpert

Proud Member
As we know from Engineer Brian Vibberts, on July 14, 1994, Prince came to visit Michael in the early afternoon to discuss recording a song together.
Michael and Prince had discussed doing a song before (the song “Bad”) but nothing had ever been recorded.On that day, Prince arrived with two huge bodyguards. The three of them walked right by me and into Michael’s lounge, which was the Studio 3 lounge at the Hit Factory at 421 West 54th Street in New York City. It was a private meeting, so I continued my work in Studio 4 – working on new music for HIStory.
Prince talked with Michael for a few hours before leaving. That night, Prince played a show at the Palladium at 126 East 14th Street, which held between 2500-3000 people.

What do you think they discussed on? Maybe a movie project? Did Michael let Prince listen to some HIStosy new songs?
Maybe they watched some James Brown's shows together? :cool:

It's so strange we don't have any clue of what happened that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knows. if they was talking for a few hours probably talking about a lot of things. whatever kind of relationship Michael and Prince had they respected each other. happy 62th birthday prince. may they both rest in peace.

Who knows. if they was talking for a few hours probably talking about a lot of things. whatever kind of relationship Michael and Prince had they respected each other. happy 62th birthday prince. may they both rest in peace.

" I want to do this one for my friend" - Prince. Prince said this before playing Shake Your Body Down ive Paris 2010. I wish I still had the video of this but I can't find it anymore.

God bless them both.

I heard prince also suggested MJ to do a show without all the theatricals like explosions and costume changes, acoustic to show the world he was still a great singer. But I don't know when that was supposed to have been said.

I heard prince also suggested MJ to do a show without all the theatricals like explosions and costume changes, acoustic to show the world he was still a great singer.

If that's that's true, I kind of agree with him. Michael should of at least did one or two shows without all of that because would of showed his singing more than the other stuff he was known for. alot of fans has said Michael should of been on MTV unplugged etc. but everytime people talked to Michael it was all about the lies and his face etc. so i agree. he really should of have did least one or two of those.

we never getting it now through. :(

I heard prince also suggested MJ to do a show without all the theatricals like explosions and costume changes, acoustic to show the world he was still a great singer. But I don't know when that was supposed to have been said.

That's sound very interesting to me. If confirmed, Prince could have suggested Michael some ideas for HBO show, which was planned as an "intimate" exhibition, much different from "classical" MJ's tours.
So sad we don't have any photo of them together (and neither of Janet's, who was surely in contact with Prince during her staying in Minneapolis with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis...)

I’m sure that I am dreaming with this but to me I always thought that I could hear Prince singing background on 2bad. Listen very carefully it does sound like him. Oh well, can dream it.

That's sound very interesting to me. If confirmed, Prince could have suggested Michael some ideas for HBO show, which was planned as an "intimate" exhibition, much different from "classical" MJ's tours.
So sad we don't have any photo of them together (and neither of Janet's, who was surely in contact with Prince during her staying in Minneapolis with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis...)

I can't help but to think about the time Prince was asked to describe things quickly with one or few words. I think it was some kind of interview, and they said Michael Jackson and Prince answered "Genius". Then they said Janet Jackson and Prince answered "A genius sister". Lol, Prince was the master of throwing shade.

Hahahahaha Janet is a genius too. I wonder what happen between them for him to say that. Prince was a shady dude with it came to somethings. Prince kind of was one those people who told it like it is. so I'll say Michael was more nicer than Prince. :laughing:

Some trivia:

• “When both were recording at the same Los Angeles studio, Prince invited [Michael] Jackson to play ping-pong. Michael, who had lived a sheltered life, didn’t know how. ‘You want me to slam it?’ Prince asked, according to engineer David Z, who was there. Michael dropped his paddle and held his hands up in front of his face so the ball wouldn’t hit him. Michael walked out with his bodyguard, and Prince started strutting around like a rooster. ‘Did you see that? He played like Helen Keller.’ ” — Jon Bream, music critic, Minneapolis Star Tribune (2009)

• “Michael [Jackson] coming to Prince and wanting him to do ‘Bad,’ that really pissed him off. Prince was like, ‘Oh, he wants to punk me out on record. Who does he think I am, crazy?’ He couldn’t get outside himself enough to realize that it probably could have benefited both of them. Still, it would have forever been Michael’s video with Prince as just a guest. So that captured what the relationship couldn’t be. They were like Ali vs. Frazier.” — Prince confidant Alan Leeds (Vibe, 2010)

What I got from this is that MJ send Prince the goin back to Indiana concert. From what it looks it was the full concert. I want it.

What I got from this is that MJ send Prince the goin back to Indiana concert. From what it looks it was the full concert. I want it.
But was that the full concert or the TV special? Because I don't see the special getting a release anytime soon since Bill Cosby is in it. But some of his other movies, TV shows, and comedy albums are still in print though. The special has been on Youtube for years, but not an official upload. It's probably owned by ABC (the network that originally broadcast it) which is now a part of Disney. Other than their major classic animated movies like Sleeping Beauty & modern stuff like the MCU (except the Disney+ TV shows), Pixar, & Star Wars, Disney generally doesn't release a lot of stuff on home video.

If it is the special i’m not very interested.
I'd like to have it and also the TV specials that other Motown acts made during that time (eg. The Temptations, The Supremes, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, etc.). The same with the 1973 Save The Children movie. None of them has ever been on home video, not even in the VHS days. Some have out of print soundtrack albums, but they have never made it to CD. But they can usually be found in the used market. The specials were all kinda similar, musical performances with comedy skits. There were even music sitcoms & cartoons (The Monkees, Josie & The Pussycats, The Beatles, The Partridge Family, Jackson 5). Variety TV shows & specials were very popular in the USA during the 1950s to 1970s. Not as popular as westerns though. 😄

I'd like to have it and also the TV specials that other Motown acts made during that time (eg. The Temptations, The Supremes, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, etc.).
Stevie? Stevie did a tv special? Wow!

The same with the 1973 Save The Children movie. None of them has ever been on home video, not even in the VHS days. Some have out of print soundtrack albums, but they have never made it to CD.
🙁

But they can usually be found in the used market.
I just don't do online / ebay shopping. Ah well ...

Stevie? Stevie did a tv special? Wow!
Well, his wasn't in the variety show format. It was a music only performance filmed for a channel in Brazil called TV Record in the early 1970s and is in black & white. It wasn't broadcast in the USA. But Stevie has performed on the variety shows of Johnny Cash, Tom Jones, & others. Stevie was also on a TV show in Italy and performed some songs in Italian.

still curious if prince's version of Bad exists. the 2 estates could work together on that, though i feel that wouldnt happen considering princes request NOT to contemporize his music after death.

Back