They Don’t Care About Us sampled denied by the Estate

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
An American rapper called “A boogie wit da Hoodie”, real name Julius Dubose, wanted to release a new song titled “This Time” which has a sample of “They Don’t Care About Us”.

Unfortunately, the song will not be on the EP due to the fact that the Estate of Michael Jackson refused the use of the original song by Michael Jackson.

On Social Media, Dubose stated:
“I know you guys want “This Time” and I wanted to put it out but we couldn’t get it cleared because the original song Michael Jackson’s “They Don’t Care About Us” is very relevant these days. The Jackson Estate did not feel comfortable releasing a new song using that sample and I respect their decision. I’;; look to release it at a later”

Listening to it, I think they made the right choice. TDCAU is about serious social and racial issues, and his song is a pretty stereotypical trap song about women and money. It’s too serious of a song to be used in that way in my opinion.

It actually makes me happy to know that the Estate recognizes the enormous relevance of TDCAU. This was the right move, in my opinion.

If he really wanted to represent Michael he could of talk about what going on right now. not talking about this woman etc. I don't think Michael would of approve this either. well at least the estate did something right this time.

In my opinion Michael music should always represented in a good way and message. i'm find with jokes every now and then (not bad jokes) but his music should always be represent good and an celebration.

are we talking about an actual sample here? because i can't find one...
or do we talk about his lyrics where he sings in the rhythm and melody (but slightly different) of the TDCAU verse ?
If yes, IMO he could have just release this without asking estate... most people will not even recognise this and its not the same...
also law says samples are allowed to release if the original work is not recognisable anymore..

Uhm where is the sample? All I heard was an awful rap song.

Isn't the whole point of this thread that they denied him using the sample... That's why you can't hear the sample I would assume.

Who dis dude? Julius Dubose or Boogie With a Hoodie does not ring any bells for me.

AlwaysThere;4294736 said:
The “sample” is the melody at the very top of the song.

Oh right now I hear it
I personally see it as just a small tribute, I'd approve of it.

Last edited:
Re: DJ Doom feat. Pace Won, Nutso, Punchline, F.T. ~ Flatline

Like this old gangsta track?

How did Michael react to this? all MJ songs in my opinion should always have a good message for example TDCAU should be use for social problems and injustice because that was the point of the song in the first place.

like stick with the formula of the song that what it suppose to means.

Last edited:
Who dis dude? Julius Dubose or Boogie With a Hoodie does not ring any bells for me.

Some american Soundcloud rapper i guess. i didn't know about him since this thing about him sampling tdcau. he has a good following though. though his music isn't my thing.

A Boogie Wit da Hoodie sampled You Rock My World on another song and it was much better imo. He did the scat from Remember the Time as well.

Sample starts at 1:00 in the video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DmNfT-B7nlA

While his music isn't my type of thing. that was pretty good. way better then tdcau sample. hopefully this will get the new generation into MJ. he seem to a fan of MJ. which is good.

Re: DJ Doom feat. Pace Won, Nutso, Punchline, F.T. ~ Flatline

like stick with the formula of the song that what it suppose to means.
I don't think songs that sample other songs usually have much to do with the original records. U Can't Touch This doesn't have anything to do with what Superfreak is about. Some songs sample multiple tracks, the individual samples may be about different things. Somebody might sample instrumental songs, which might not really be about anything. They often just have random titles stuck on them.

An American rapper called “A boogie wit da Hoodie”, real name Julius Dubose, wanted to release a new song titled “This Time” which has a sample of “They Don’t Care About Us”.

Unfortunately, the song will not be on the EP due to the fact that the Estate of Michael Jackson refused the use of the original song by Michael Jackson.

On Social Media, Dubose stated:
“I know you guys want “This Time” and I wanted to put it out but we couldn’t get it cleared because the original song Michael Jackson’s “They Don’t Care About Us” is very relevant these days. The Jackson Estate did not feel comfortable releasing a new song using that sample and I respect their decision. I’;; look to release it at a later”
oh wow! i didnt know he liked mj. ive got to give it to him though; tdcau beat is amazing! 🔥

Back