Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do You Think MJ Was Trying For Big Commercial Success While Prince Wasn't Really Into It?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 1,594 Posts

Default Re: Van Halen

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post

How is that when The Beatles sold more than anyone else?
    The Beatles is a group - I think he means as a solo artist.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago.

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hess View Post
    The Beatles is a group - I think he means as a solo artist.
    Well Michael isn't the biggest solo artist either.

Help Staff help you. Remember:

Read the Rules. Respect other members. Report offensive posts.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 770 Posts

Default Re: Do you think Michael was trying to big with commercial success while Prince wasn't really into i

Lol! Lies!

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Do you think Michael was trying to big with commercial success while Prince wasn't really into i

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    Lol! Lies!
    Google is your friend.

Help Staff help you. Remember:

Read the Rules. Respect other members. Report offensive posts.

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Yeah but Michael is still one of the best male solo artist of all time. (black if you wanna put that) he comes in number one. he been gone almost 11 years and his music, singing, and of course dancing are still being listening to and look at etc.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,717 Times in 1,594 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    There are many ways to count it. By sales alone I guess Elvis is bigger? But Elvis has released 100 albums - MJ has like 15...

By many (and not only MJ-fans) MJ is the biggest solo artist ever. - MJ only had 3 solo tours. - Nowadays it's normal for an artist to go on tour every 3 years...

It's very difficult to compare success. - And IMO stupid really...

Nowadays there are 100 different awardshows - back in the 80's there was like 5-10... So artists that are popular today will win a lot more awards than those who was popular in th 80's won. - So you can't count success on awards won either.

Album sales are also totally different today than it was in th 80s and 90s - even th 00s. - Now it's streams. But the old acts wil natually not have as many streams og views on YT as todays artist. Imagine if Spotify and Youtube had existed in 1980. - Thriller would have 30 billion views now and so many streams I have no idea - same goes for Billie Jean, Beat It - and many more MJ songs. - and naturally other 80 acts, not only MJ.

What I mean is just it is not possibly to compare success IMO. - And there is no need to either. No one will ever doubt MJ was/is HUGE. - like Elvis, Beatles, Prince, Madonna, Whitney Houston etc.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago.

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hess For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Do You Think MJ Was Trying For Big Commercial Success While Prince Wasn't Really Into It?

It's sad that some Prince fans lie and treat fans wrong if they fan of Michael as well. ridiculous. I don't think either of them would be please to know their fans treat each other wrong.

while i'm a causal prince fan I don't say anything bad about him. yeah their somethings I don't like about him same goes with Michael even though i'm big fan of Michael.

I feel both fan communities should respect one another even if they don't like one or other or both. smh.

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Well it really is debatable. Obviously Elvis sold more he started selling records in 1956, Michael started in 1971. Other than that I think MJ had a bigger cultural impact all around. Elvis influenced mainly white people. Michael influenced everybody. I can't say for sure naturally but I think pure name recognition wise I think people are more familiar with Michael than with Elvis especially in Africa or Asia. That said we don't really know how big Michael was himself in Africa or Asia. I also think Elvis didn't have much competition, he was literally at the birth of "pop" music with his rock n roll. Black artists didn't cross over mostly resulting in lower sales and how many other white artists could be called competitors for Elvis? Not too many... Perhaps Buddy Holly but his career got cut short, The Everly Brothers had a brief period of smash hits. By the time MJ broke through the pop scene was huge and ever expanding and evolving.
    But it really doesn't matter. Nobody solo is as big as Elvis or Michael anyway.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    Prince didn't make them successful. People like Sheena Easton, Stevie Nicks, & The Bangles were already popular before working with Prince. The only one of his protege acts that had a lot of success was The Time, especially Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. Maybe Sheila E., but she was a session musician before getting with Prince and worked with a lot of acts. Sheila also made a couple of albums with her father in the 1970s. Unlike what a lot of people think, Prince did not write a song for Sinead O'Connor. She remade Nothing Compares 2 U, which was on an album by The Family, another protege group. It's like Whitney Houston remade a lot of little known songs, so people think Whitney made the original version.

Not many people was checking for Prince's other acts like Apollonia 6, Jill Jones, Carmen Electra, Mayte, Good Question, Madhouse, etc. Carmen later became known as an actress, not for her rapping. Vanity 6 had a 2 or 3 R&B hits from their one album, but Vanity's solo records after she left Prince didn't do much.
    My sentiments exactly! Thank you for pointing those things out and putting them in perspective.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hess View Post
    There are many ways to count it. By sales alone I guess Elvis is bigger? But Elvis has released 100 albums - MJ has like 15...

By many (and not only MJ-fans) MJ is the biggest solo artist ever. - MJ only had 3 solo tours. - Nowadays it's normal for an artist to go on tour every 3 years...

It's very difficult to compare success. - And IMO stupid really...

Nowadays there are 100 different awardshows - back in the 80's there was like 5-10... So artists that are popular today will win a lot more awards than those who was popular in th 80's won. - So you can't count success on awards won either.

Album sales are also totally different today than it was in th 80s and 90s - even th 00s. - Now it's streams. But the old acts wil natually not have as many streams og views on YT as todays artist. Imagine if Spotify and Youtube had existed in 1980. - Thriller would have 30 billion views now and so many streams I have no idea - same goes for Billie Jean, Beat It - and many more MJ songs. - and naturally other 80 acts, not only MJ.

What I mean is just it is not possibly to compare success IMO. - And there is no need to either. No one will ever doubt MJ was/is HUGE. - like Elvis, Beatles, Prince, Madonna, Whitney Houston etc.
    Great Post! I agree with your points.

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 713 Posts

Default Re: Do You Think MJ Was Trying For Big Commercial Success While Prince Wasn't Really Into It?

I think the fundamental difference between them is, Mike cared about his legacy and how he'd be remembered, whereas I think Prince cared a lot more about how people thought of him in present day
    So when people look at their legacies together you can see Michael held onto to some really amazing ideas because the time wasn't right or it didn't gel within a record, whereas Prince felt it and then put it out regardless, because by the time he was about to release a record he was already on to the next project

Michael maybe wanted to make a near flawless album, instead Prince wanted to let his fans where he was at a certain point in his life and document within the music.
    There's no right approach, I prefer Michael's because there is a lot less throwaway material in his discography, although I do wish he had been more like Prince in that he would get unreleased songs closer to completion rather than tossing them aside when a better idea came along.

I personally love how different they were as artists, the contrasts between them complemented them perfectly

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,256 Posts

They were two very different artists that came from the 'same school'. It's easy to say Michael had more of a commercial interest because his commercial success was like no other.

Prince was much more protective over the legality side of his music. That in some ways helped him, and some ways held him back from the limits he could reach commercially.

Prince was a musicians musician, Michael was the music.
    Walk in truth, stand IN JUSTICE https://twitter.com/rasheedKOPV?s=09

Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,065 Posts

Default Prince

Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    Prince was much more protective over the legality side of his music. That in some ways helped him, and some ways held him back from the limits he could reach commercially.
    In the internet era for sure. Banning his music & music videos from being online and expecting people to buy his CDs. People buying records/tapes/CDs began to drop with Napster & file sharing. There's an entire generation that grew up with free music. There isn't the same value on music as earlier generations when there was less competition for entertainment. I don't think its the cost of CDs because a lot of people buy $200 Air Jordans and video game discs. Video games cost more than CDs and even new vinyl. Cell phones & the bill aren't cheap either. Now the general public stream music. Why buy a CD when entire albums are posted on Youtube by the labels under the artists "topic" channel? Prince was about making money and artists make little money from streams.