Best cover versions of Michael Jackson songs?

Electro

Proud Member
I just rediscovered this rock cover version of "Billie Jean" by the German band The Bates from 1995.

Better audio quality here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QJPkTiwiH4

There must be tons of cover versions of Michaels hits out there, but which ones are the best / your favs?

I always find it interesting to hear a familiar song in a different genre style.
Is there a "You Are Not Alone" Death Metal version maybe? :D

Last edited:

This is such a beautiful cover. Makes me wanna cry everytime I hear it.

this will always be my favourite 💜 it took me awhile to realise it’s one person. they really got into the characters. so much fun. I was smiling the whole time. I love ‘the girl is mine’ in general 💜

I wonder if Billie Jean is Michael's most covered song? Anyway, here's another one ...

Breathe Carolina / Billie Jean

4m 2s

I wouldn't say this is the *best* cover version of BJ I've ever heard but I enjoyed it - especially the outro.

Last edited:
I wonder if Billie Jean is Michael's most covered song?
Michael Jackson's most covered song is 'Thriller' (covered by 130 artists), according to the 'Secondhandsongs.com' website.

It is interesting that 'Billie Jean' is not in the top 3 of Michael Jackson's most covered songs.

But despite this, 'Billie Jean' appears to be his most popular song (even unborn children are already aware of 'Billie Jean').

Chaka Khan / Got To Be There

3m 50s

I quite like this version! It was a minor hit for her, too!

3m 50s

I keep meaning to check this out bc I like her voice. I listened to the Black Ivory version of GTBT today which I enjoyed - especially the Shaft theme outro. But I will listen to Chaka's version tomorrow. :)

I keep meaning to check this out bc I like her voice. I listened to the Black Ivory version of GTBT today which I enjoyed - especially the Shaft theme outro. But I will listen to Chaka's version tomorrow. :)
You oughta check out Rufus & Chaka Khan, there are many really great tunes there that I think you would rather enjoy.

Such as the Stevie-penned Tell Me Something Good!

You oughta check out Rufus & Chaka Khan, there are many really great tunes there that I think you would rather enjoy.

Such as the Stevie-penned Tell Me Something Good!
oh, I love that one. It's my fave song by her. I don't love her, haven't listened to loads of her stuff (I don't love I'm Every Woman, for example) but TMSG I adore.

Rufus? I was always a bit lukewarm about them, tbh.

I was watching a video clip a while back of Chaka doing a song with Prince. Can't remember what song or where they were. Was it one of his 'aftershows' or was it a tv thing? Can't remember but she was good. Really jazzy, really cool. god, can't remember ...

Mm, no, that didn't work for me. I liked the backing vocals and loved the drums but that was pretty much it for me. Not saying it was rubbish, it was fine, just didn't hold my attention.

I did a quick check re Rufus, trying to remember them from way back. Love TMSG, obvs, but my fave was Ain't Nobody. The rest of their stuff didn't land with me. They were fine, but a bit lightweight, imo.

But I had forgotten all about Ain't Nobody. Very happy to be reunited with it. :)

I did a quick check re Rufus, trying to remember them from way back. Love TMSG, obvs, but my fave was Ain't Nobody. The rest of their stuff didn't land with me. They were fine, but a bit lightweight, imo.
TMSG, Ain’t Nobody… no Sweet Thing?

TMSG, Ain’t Nobody… no Sweet Thing?
It just sounds so R&B to me. It did back then and it still does. I like r&b much better than I used to but it's still not my top fave genre. I love that version she did with Prince. It seemed more jazzy, had a bit more bite to it, more substance, more groove. A lot of time has passed, of course, so she was bringing more to the song when she did the Prince show. And I always prefer live stuff. Well, mostly.

Back