A theory; The estate is holding off on releasing remasters of the music videos because of LN?

webslinger

Proud Member
I noticed some months ago that 4K remasters of popular songs from different eras were being uploaded to YouTube, officially. It is really hard to believe Michael isn't getting the same treatment. So, does anyone think that they could possibly be in the works but not for release yet because of the Leaving Neverland controversy?

I wish that was the case and I think it would be totally worth their effort to do so, but I don’t think they’ve done any remasters outside of Thriller 4K which was in cinemas a while back.

afaik they are dedicating most of their time to the court cases they are involved in.

I don't know about remasters of music videos, but I am sure that they haven't released any new music because of LN and the subsequent court cases relating to it. In mid 2018, we got a single release Don't Matter To Me with Drake. IIRC, around that time, someone from the Estate said that they are planning on releasing singles going forward as opposed to albums. I think if LN hadn't happened, we probably would have got another couple of unreleased singles by now. It's a shame that LN came and ruined everything.

I believe that they dont want to release new material knowing it wont get the attention it deserves, right after LN, in the middle of a pandemic and in the middle of a civil "war" against racism. And this is me trying my hardest to be positive.. I still get so angry knowing there are HD versions of the Bad tour and Im still here watching 2 pixels move on my screen... so I want to believe that they are not as evil as I picture them in my head every so often.. and that they are just waiting for the right time... does that sound too genuine? 😭

Nite Line;4295897 said:
I don't know about remasters of music videos, but I am sure that they haven't released any new music because of LN and the subsequent court cases relating to it. In mid 2018, we got a single release Don't Matter To Me with Drake. IIRC, around that time, someone from the Estate said that they are planning on releasing singles going forward as opposed to albums. I think if LN hadn't happened, we probably would have got another couple of unreleased singles by now. It's a shame that LN came and ruined everything.

Correct, here's the article: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-michael-jackson-estate-20180829-story.html#

However, that’s not to say fans won’t be hearing any “new” music from Jackson soon, as the other co-executor of the estate, John McClain, is reworking a batch of tracks alongside a high-profile producer the estate wants to keep secret for a one-off release.

“We’re constantly scouring the catalog for ideas, but there are no plans at the moment to put any more full-fledged albums out,” said Sony Music Chief Executive Rob Stringer. “We are looking at one-off songs, and in this streaming world that works because it’s a track-based world. There are a few gems out there that we may unearth individually over the next months and years, but we’re also very, very careful to make sure the fan base doesn’t feel like they’ve been asked yet again to buy material they have.”

I honestly believe that Leaving Neverland, the ongoing HBO lawsuit, and the coronavirus pandemic have completely upended whatever plans the Estate might have had. It clearly kept them from going forward with the singles project that Eddlicious posted above. A lot of time and money has to go into a project, whatever it may be, and they’re currently in a $100 million legal battle while also trying to navigate how a post-2019 MJ album will be received by the public.

I know so many of us are starved for new material (and I can imagine people are tired of my pro-Estate ramblings lmao), but I truly feel this hiatus is warranted.

AlwaysThere;4295915 said:
I honestly believe that Leaving Neverland, the ongoing HBO lawsuit, and the coronavirus pandemic have completely upended whatever plans the Estate might have had. It clearly kept them from going forward with the singles project that Eddlicious posted above. A lot of time and money has to go into a project, whatever it may be, and they’re currently in a $100 million legal battle while also trying to navigate how a post-2019 MJ album will be received by the public.

I know so many of us are starved for new material (and I can imagine people are tired of my pro-Estate ramblings lmao), but I truly feel this hiatus is warranted.

I think people are more complaining about the quality of releases when they do happen.

I think people are more complaining about the quality of releases when they do happen.

Yeah, and for the most part that makes total sense. Every Estate project could be improved in some way; they're far from perfect.

If I'm remembering correctly, Dangerous was among some of the songs that were rehearsed for This Is It but weren't released, right? I'm surprised it wasn't added to that 10 year anniversary box set thing

AlwaysThere;4295915 said:

I agree with you 100% on everything that you posted about the Estate. Thank you for being objective and rational. Not only is the Estate fighting a huge legal battle against liars and extortionists, they are fighting against public perception because of those lies. This Estate is in the middle of TWO huge battles for Michael’s legacy because of an AGENDA. As I have stated many times, it has $#@* to do with the fake allegations. It has EVERYTHING to do with $$$ and the powers to be to destroy the legacy of the most popular, influential and successful entertainer in history, who happens to be a black man. NO OTHER ESTATE IS HAVING TO GO THROUGH THE CRAP THAT THE MICHAEL JACKSON ESTATE HAS TO GO THROUGH.

Of course, we want new releases. On the other hand, the Estate knows that ANYTHING they put out will be criticized by some fans, while those same people will try and dissuade people from supporting a project. These SAME people don’t seem to realize that when they do that, they are not huring the Estate, they are hurting Michael and his legacy. I’m not understanding if it’s because some are too young to recognize that or just don’t give a damn.

I truly believe that it is a combination of everything that Always There stated plus the fact that the Estate is discouraged by the constant negativity of certain fans. In reality, fans of another Estate who is constantly releasing new material have those that nitpick and complain, also. So it’s not just the MJ Estate. I read posts about that Estate where fans always complain about the negative fans.The bottomline is the projects that the MJ Estate have been different and more ambitious than any other estate. Give me the Immortal World Tour, Xscape Album, Bad 25 any day over some of stuff other estates are doing. Of course, I have been a fan for 35+ years, and patience is a virtue with most longtime fans.

Again, I WANT more releases, however, I’m not going to sit back and act as if what has already been released is nothing. The Estate could easily just have released remastered albums with unreleased tracks included, month after month. However, they tried to do things that were interesting not only to old fans, but something that generated new fans as well. The Estate was extremely successful in doing that because of projects like the previous ones mentioned.

Bottomline is don’t compare MJ Estate with other estates, because although they are releasing album after album of previous and unreleased material, that artist’s Estate is doing everything and I mean everything to make their artist as popular as MJ’s Estate. I know because I have knowledge of what that Estate is doing. Don’t be fooled by what SOME people feed you. Not only is this artist’s estate releasing music, that Estate is DESPERATELY trying to gain new and younger fans. Recently, this artist’s estate turned over his ENTIRE catalog to TikTok, a youth generated platform, for the sole reason of trying to get younger fans to get like his music.

Finally before someone tries to imply that I don’t want new releases from the MJ Estate, That implication would be a lie. I just agree that the MJ Estate has to balance these 3 things- huge lawsuits, AGENDA to destroy Michael’s legacy, and fans who complain or try to sabotage ANY project released. I don’t want any fan to take my statements personal; however, “if the shoe fits, wear it.”

THANK YOU ALWAYSTHERE FOR YOUR INSIGHTFUL POST!

Last edited:
somewhereinthedark;4295925 said:
I agree with you 100% on everything that you posted about the Estate. Thank you for being objective and rational. Not only is the Estate fighting a huge legal battle against liars and extortionists, they are fighting against public perception because of those lies. This Estate is in the middle of TWO huge battles for Michael’s legacy because of an AGENDA. As I have stated many times, it has $#@* to do with the fake allegations. It has EVERYTHING to do with $$$ and the powers to be to destroy the legacy of the most popular, influential and successful BLACK entertainer in history. NO OTHER ESTATE IS HAVING TO GO THROUGH THE CRAP THAT THE MICHAEL JACKSON ESTATE HAS TO GO THROUGH.

Of course, we want new releases. On the other hand, the Estate knows that ANYTHING they put out will be criticized by some fans, while those same people will try and dissuade people from supporting a project. These SAME people don’t seem to realize that when they do that, they are not huring the Estate, they are hurting Michael and his legacy. I’m not understanding if it’s because some are too young to recognize that or just don’t give a damn.

I truly believe that it is a combination of everything that Always There stated plus the fact that the Estate is discouraged by the constant negativity of a certain fans. In reality, fans of another Estate who is constantly releasing new material have those that nitpick and complain, also. The bottomline is the projects that the MJ Estate have been different and more ambitious than any other estate. Give me the Immortal World Tour, Xscape Album, Bad 25 any day over some of stuff other estates are doing. Again, I WANT more releases, however, I’m not going to sit back and act as if what has already been released is nothing. The Estate could easily just released remastered albums with unreleased tracks included, month after month. However, they tried to do things that were interesting not only to old fans, but something that generated new fans as well. The Estate was extremely successful in doing that because of projects like the previous ones mentioned.

Bottomline is don’t compare MJ Estate with other estates, because although they are releasing album after album of previous and unreleased material, that Estate is doing everything and I mean everything to make their artist as popular as MJ’s Estate. I know because I have knowledge of what that Estate is doing. Don’t be fooled by what SOME people feed you.

Finally before someone tries to imply that I don’t want new releases from the MJ Estate, That implication would be a lie. I just agree that the MJ Estate has to balance these things- huge lawsuits, AGENDA to destroy Michael’s legacy, and fans who complain or try to sabotage ANY project released. I don’t want any fan to take my statements personal; however, “if the shoe fits, wear it.”

THANK YOU ALWAYS THERE FOR YOUR INSIGHTFUL POST!

I agree with absolutely every word and thank you so much for saying it!!

The day when people on this forum stop using fans having problems with projects as an excuse for them not releasing stuff will be a great day indeed. Some people on here just really do love trying to shame people for not loving everything the estate do, and having legitimate complaints. I agree the reason nothing is being released is because of stuff that's going on, but don't really see where the whole "some fans" thing fits in or why it even had to be brought up in that discussion. It seems to me that some users of this forum just don't like that other people might not enjoy the things they enjoy, and have legitimate reasons, that are being framed as "just complaining" or trying to "sabotage" projects. I think if you ask, everyone that has been complaining has paid for the project they are criticising, and I have never seen anyone on here tell others not to buy something. You really are well and truly making that up. Fan complaints are not a reason for nothing being released, it's once again just another excuse to make people feel bad for having an opinion by certain users on here.

Tbh, I kind of like keeping the mystery behind some unreleased songs. Not to say I would not like to hear them, but I like the intriguing feeling of finding out information about songs we never heard.

I have a feeling that they want to release them on Blu-Ray before uploading them to Youtube.

L.N is old hat. The only ones talking about it are fans. Theres more talk about Square 1 by non fans. And ppl listening to TDCAU

Covid etc is gonna have more effect interms of putting something out. Or there is just nothing planned at the moment and thats it. There doesnt always have to be a reason for it.

I think maybe the ongoing lawsuits take up much of their time, but still - an Estate should be able to separate legal cases and music releases.

LN for sure had an impact that nothing was released in 2019. - But 2020 has actually proven (so far) to be a great year for MJ.

Heal The World was played A LOT during Covid-19 - even had a new musicvideo made. (officially right?)

TDCAU has gained so much streams during the BLM campaign.

Earth Song - I have heard the song played a lot in Denmark actually. - Don't know why it is played, but I have heard it in a shopping centre, on the radio etc.

Square One has gotten some (a lot?) attention and seems to gain streams. - Not released in Denmark, so no effect here, but Germany, UK, Spain and the US - I sense quite a few people have seen Square One and it has changed their views.

So hopefully Taj's project - documentary - is released in the fall and will get a lot of attention worldwide and hopefully get more people to realize/believe MJ was/is innocent.

If that happens - and maybe even The Estate wins the lawsuits by the 2 jerks - 2020 will be an amazing MJ year and then there is no excuse to not release new MJ materiale in 2021. - I just hope 2020 will continue as good as it has started for MJ.

Legal cases are delt with by lawyers who work for the estate. Those lawyers are totally seperate from ppl who work for the estate in relation to getting together and deciding on and creating releases. Thes a huge amount of ppl hired by them

Now I have a mental image of Howard Weitzman late at night hand printing all those HIStory25 t-shirts. :laughing:

I think it’s time to test the water so to speak. I get all the reason to not release anything but his music will speak for itself. They don’t have to have a giant project released every time. Release a single out of the blue with no public announcement and see what happens. I best you anything that if it’s a quality song it will be a smash HIT. People really do love MJ some just don’t like to admit it. There are what you call closet fans out there as well, they will show up and buy it too. Now is the time.

elusive moonwalker;4295967 said:
Legal cases are delt with by lawyers who work for the estate. Those lawyers are totally seperate from ppl who work for the estate in relation to getting together and deciding on and creating releases. Thes a huge amount of ppl hired by them

Yes, but lawyers have to be paid. And the men/women employed by the Estate are top tier, and absolutely aren’t cheap, especially in a multi-year venture. (There are currently three separate lawsuits going on: Robson’s, which has been on and off for seven years; Safechuck’s, which has been on and off for six years; and HBO’s, which has been ongoing for over a year. All three have court dates scheduled straight through mid-2021, and likely beyond.) I can’t imagine they also care to throw a million-plus at a project.

I think the HIStory 25 merch is the first “test the waters” move. Better to do it with merch than with a full studio album or a big project that poses a bigger risk of failure. Hopefully there’s some incentive for them.

AlwaysThere;4295985 said:
Yes, but lawyers have to be paid. And the men/women employed by the Estate are top tier, and absolutely aren’t cheap, especially in a multi-year venture. (There are currently three separate lawsuits going on: Robson’s, which has been on and off for seven years; Safechuck’s, which has been on and off for six years; and HBO’s, which has been ongoing for over a year. All three have court dates scheduled straight through mid-2021, and likely beyond.) I can’t imagine they also care to throw a million-plus at a project.

Not to forget the delay of the musical which was supposed to generate some income this year through ticket sales and merch, and probably even a CD.

Leaving Neverland, Covid-19, those are all excuses for the Estate not doing anything to please the fans. The truth is, last year was Michael away 10th year, and as fans, we need some comfort more than ever, and what have we got? Leaving Neverland, and the Estate puts Bucharest and Wembley concerts 480p DVDrip on YouTube. 2019 would be a totally dull year without the Copenhagen concert.

And this year, because of Covid-19, most people are bored as hell, so again, we need some new footage as excitements more than ever, but all we got is again, Bucharest and Wembley concerts YouTube 480p, and Heal The World Bucharest official edit that looks like a fan edit.

I hope we'd stop thinking of all those excuses, and really make our voice heard. Otherwise we'll just grow old, and all the great footage will rot in the Estate's great vault.

Leaving Neverland, Covid-19, those are all excuses for the Estate not doing anything to please the fans. The truth is, last year was Michael away 10th year, and as fans, we need some comfort more than ever, and what have we got? Leaving Neverland, and the Estate puts Bucharest and Wembley concerts 480p DVDrip on YouTube. 2019 would be a totally dull year without the Copenhagen concert.

And this year, because of Covid-19, most people are bored as hell, so again, we need some new footage as excitements more than ever, but all we got is again, Bucharest and Wembley concerts YouTube 480p, and Heal The World Bucharest official edit that looks like a fan edit.

I hope we'd stop thinking of all those excuses, and really make our voice heard. Otherwise we'll just grow old, and all the great footage will rot in the Estate's great vault.

I wish they would have just uploaded some other 1988 Bad Tour concert instead of Wembley. They could just upload one on Youtube and get some money that way if they are not going to release it on DVD.

AlwaysThere;4295985 said:
I think the HIStory 25 merch is the first “test the waters” move. Better to do it with merch than with a full studio album or a big project that poses a bigger risk of failure. Hopefully there’s some incentive for them.

Well I can tell you, I won't be buying any t-shirts. I wanted the coaster set, but I simply can't justify being ripped off to the tune of 40 POUNDS for 5 or 6 drinks coasters!

But if they want to release something of content, its a 'shut up and take my money' moment.

I'd legit pay 100 quid for a blu-ray box set of music videos tarted up in some fancy box. Buuuuuuut, I honestly don't think the Estate will ever do this project. For me it's more important than the unreleased music but I just don't see them ever doing it, it just seems too good for them to put their hand to.

The big money is made out of mj one and the likes imo. Ticket sales etc. How much in reality do a few million sales of a new release make for profit?

C'mon...MJ's Estate has more serious problems to face, than hiding 720p videos on Youtube...
Probably they consider too expensive/non-convenient this project.
In my opinion, they should follow what Janet has done on her channel: all videos remastered (no new uploads, views are precious!) with official subtltes.

p.s. still waiting for all MJ TV/one-off performances officially uploaded, like Prince's channel....

Personally speaking, I don't see why there is such high demand for remaster of the music videos. Maybe I say that, because I have never been that obsessed with graphics and quality of the video. It doesn't make much difference to me if the video is in 480p or 720p. I rather get some unreleased songs, unreleased rehearsals footage before remaster of the music videos.

C'mon...MJ's Estate has more serious problems to face, than hiding 720p videos on Youtube...
Probably they consider too expensive/non-convenient this project.

MJ fans are really the best fans in the world. We defend and think good of the Estate even though they've done nothing to please us for years.

I always say that the Estate should hire someone like me, who'd do what they supposed to do for free or little money, and would do a much better job than many experts / pros.

Back