Thread: Post Trial Songs (2005-2009)

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 725 Posts

Default Re: Post Trial Songs (2005-2009)

My brother AlwaysThere delivering new unheard interesting info on unreleased tracks. Some things never change, thanks man

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

AlwaysThere, would you mind telling us what songs you have heard that the general fan base havenít?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nextbigthing56 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post

Speaking of the Drake song "don't matter to me" of what song is that MJ vocal from?
    The song's called "It Donít Matter To Me" (written w/ Paul Anka in 1980)

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzball View Post
    The song's called "It Don’t Matter To Me" (written w/ Paul Anka in 1980)
    Sounds like there is a more completed version than what we got to hear in Drake's song?

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

the mention of the song "Water" has me confused. did Michael actually write the songs that Jason Malachi sang/did he record them in some capacity??

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Some information I've recently become privy to:

- "Boy No" is similar to "Days in Gloucestershire" and "Beautiful Girl," with touches of "Human Nature," in terms of production, with a great melody. Michael only ever recorded a verse and chorus, so the Estate would need to call in a second singer if they ever wanted to release it, but it's apparently quite beautiful.

- "Rocker" is allegedly the most finished post-trial songs: proper vocals all the way throughout (albeit with a somewhat incoherent lyrical narrative) w/ some screaming in the final leg, guitar solo, etc. Parallels have been drawn between it and "They Don't Care About Us."

- "H2O/Dark Lady" has been described as having comeback hit potential, had Michael lived to finish and release it. It's got a characteristically earworm bass riff (evidently comparable to Queen's "Under Pressure"), a wonderful melody with a quasi-Arabic chorus, and modern production with synth orchestra hits. The verses are half-baked but the chorus is releasable as-is, so it could be a strong vehicle for a rapper's album, similar to how Drake flipped "Don't Matter to Me."

- "Remember What I Told You" was recorded around June 19, 2009, and is the last song Michael ever put vocals to. It's reportedly similar to "Speechless" in terms of tone, and only has a short verse and multi-layered chorus. It can't be finished in the same way "Boy No" could, but perhaps (in the words of the wonderful individual who told me) it could be a great intro or interlude on an album.

- There's a song called "She Don't Want Me" that sounds a bit like a modernized "The Way You Make Me Feel." There's only a few lines recorded that presumably would've been the chorus, but the melody is catchy.
    Thank you so much for all your info about unreleased songs

Do you mind telling how you get that info (if it's through books, interviews...)? I'm always eager to learn about MJ's unreleased stuff

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LightTheWay For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 640 Posts

Some information I've recently become privy to:

- "Boy No" is similar to "Days in Gloucestershire" and "Beautiful Girl," with touches of "Human Nature," in terms of production, with a great melody. Michael only ever recorded a verse and chorus, so the Estate would need to call in a second singer if they ever wanted to release it, but it's apparently quite beautiful.

- "Rocker" is allegedly the most finished post-trial songs: proper vocals all the way throughout (albeit with a somewhat incoherent lyrical narrative) w/ some screaming in the final leg, guitar solo, etc. Parallels have been drawn between it and "They Don't Care About Us."

- "H2O/Dark Lady" has been described as having comeback hit potential, had Michael lived to finish and release it. It's got a characteristically earworm bass riff (evidently comparable to Queen's "Under Pressure"), a wonderful melody with a quasi-Arabic chorus, and modern production with synth orchestra hits. The verses are half-baked but the chorus is releasable as-is, so it could be a strong vehicle for a rapper's album, similar to how Drake flipped "Don't Matter to Me."

- "Remember What I Told You" was recorded around June 19, 2009, and is the last song Michael ever put vocals to. It's reportedly similar to "Speechless" in terms of tone, and only has a short verse and multi-layered chorus. It can't be finished in the same way "Boy No" could, but perhaps (in the words of the wonderful individual who told me) it could be a great intro or interlude on an album.

- There's a song called "She Don't Want Me" that sounds a bit like a modernized "The Way You Make Me Feel." There's only a few lines recorded that presumably would've been the chorus, but the melody is catchy.
    Thanks a lot for this information.

I love to hear all of these songs, especially Boy No and H20. Really, I would love to hear every single post trial song, just to get an idea of which direction MJ was going and how his vocals evolved. The only post trial song that we have heard so far is Hold My Hold, which I like very much.

And interesting to see that Michael recorded "Remember What I Told You" in June 2009. I was always under the impression that Michael's last ever recording was in October 2008, when he recorded Best of Joy.
    Last edited by Nite Line; 04-07-2020 at 02:51 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nite Line For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,929 Times in 1,640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by webslinger View Post
    the mention of the song "Water" has me confused. did Michael actually write the songs that Jason Malachi sang/did he record them in some capacity??
    No no MJ had nothing to do with the Malachi songs. This is a different song altogether

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

"Remember What I Told You" was apparently recorded in a sound truck parked outside the Staples Center, at some point during between rehearsals. I'd absolutely LOVE to listen to it. There were some songs tracked at the Carolwood residence though -- to my understanding, "Water" (the real one, not the Cascio one) was done there.
    The thing is that June 19th was one of the worst rehearsal days according to Kenny Ortega (btw they were still rehearsing at The Forum on that day), so it's interesting to know that he also recorded a song on this day.

I'm so curious to hear this song!

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dethorro View Post
    The thing is that June 19th was one of the worst rehearsal days according to Kenny Ortega (btw they were still rehearsing at The Forum on that day), so it's interesting to know that he also recorded a song on this day.

what was wrong on certain days? what happened?
    MJ fan since 1991 <3

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanGerouS- View Post
    what was wrong on certain days? what happened?
    Well, on that particular day...June 19th...Michael wasn't feeling well and had chills, so he couldn't rehearse. He watched the rehearsals and left early.

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,772 Times in 1,742 Posts

Playing a bit of catch-up here! So glad everyone responded well to the info

Quote Originally Posted by mjfan_93 View Post
    But I am little bit confused about „Remember What I Told You“. Someone on this forum told me a few months ago that this one and „Adore You“, „Rocker“ and „Water“ are all fully finished vocally. So that’s a bit confusing to me right now. Maybe you can ask your new source about Adore You and Water for me? ��
    I believe I know the user you're referring to, and it's to my understanding that most of his/her posts were based purely on speculation. I don't want to write them off entirely but what they claimed often contradicted what others said, so I don't read into it too much. The persons I spoke to said that "Adore You" was practically nonexistent other than a choir, and "Water" was only a chorus. But I will be sure to look further into it!

Quote Originally Posted by nextbigthing56 View Post
    AlwaysThere, would you mind telling us what songs you have heard that the general fan base haven’t?
    Unfortunately, none (though that doesn't stop me from trying!)

Quote Originally Posted by LightTheWay View Post
    Do you mind telling how you get that info (if it's through books, interviews...)? I'm always eager to learn about MJ's unreleased stuff
    This information comes from a number of people who have been generous enough to speak to me, including engineers who worked on the songs, friends of the producers/musicians, and fans who have heard them. Almost all of the information I've learned over the last few years has been verified by at least two independent sources, so I'm incredibly confident in it and VERY thankful that people trust me enough to share their knowledge with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Line View Post
    I was always under the impression that Michael's last ever recording was in October 2008, when he recorded Best of Joy.
    So was I, but I believe Michael Prince said to the MJ Cast that the October 2008 sessions were simply the last ones in which Michael really gave his all in the studio; from then on, he only recorded scratch vocals or choruses.

Quote Originally Posted by dethorro View Post

In fairness, the person I spoke to seemed uncertain about that date in particular. It was definitely in June, so perhaps it was earlier and/or later. But definitely June!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Oh my bad. For some reason I thought you were a part of the trade circle. So it isnít you that has Canít Get Your Weight Off Of Me? I must be thinking of another member here.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Level
    Thanks

I believe I know the user you're referring to, and it's to my understanding that most of his/her posts were based purely on speculation. I don't want to write them off entirely but what they claimed often contradicted what others said, so I don't read into it too much. The persons I spoke to said that "Adore You" was practically nonexistent other than a choir, and "Water" was only a chorus. But I will be sure to look further into it!

This information comes from a number of people who have been generous enough to speak to me, including engineers who worked on the songs, friends of the producers/musicians, and fans who have heard them. Almost all of the information I've learned over the last few years has been verified by at least two independent sources, so I'm incredibly confident in it and VERY thankful that people trust me enough to share their knowledge with me.

So was I, but I believe Michael Prince said to the MJ Cast that the October 2008 sessions were simply the last ones in which Michael really gave his all in the studio; from then on, he only recorded scratch vocals or choruses.

In fairness, the person I spoke to seemed uncertain about that date in particular. It was definitely in June, so perhaps it was earlier and/or later. But definitely June!
    Now I am more confused than ever. I donít have my information from the member you are thinking about. I have it from the guy with the big number in his nickname He told me that 4 songs from MJs final years are vocally fully finished. Only the music is not finished yet. The 4 songs he named are: Adore You, Remember What I Told You, Rocker and Water.
    I was so happy and excited when I heard that.

Now it seems that Adore You has no Vocals, Water and Remember What I Told You has only a few. Itís very frustrating. I wish Buxer/Michael Prince could step in and end the confusion once and for all.

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

According to Travis3000 Adore You and Rocker are not complete but enough is done to get an idea of where he was going. Either way if there is enough vocals on these songs etc then a singer/rapper would probably be needed to complete them. Would be a waste for the vocals to just sit in the vault and not get used.