Thread: Post Trial Songs (2005-2009)

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 953 Posts

Default Re: Post Trial Songs (2005-2009)

I'm going to continue to assume that Hollywood and
    Hollywood tonight are the same song seeing as there's no evidence saying it's not. MJ was working on it at the time so it makes sense that it'd be on his list. He simply shortened the title.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 655
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,886 Posts

Yeah, odds are “Hollywood” and “Hollywood Tonight” are one and the same. There’s a handwritten note sheet where MJ writes about using a smooth muted bass tone for “Hollywood,” and we all know what he was talking about there.

As for the RedOne tracks... it seems to be pretty inconsistent. RedOne himself said there was enough material to cut together a few songs, whereas Damien Shields (who spoke with him at one point) said there were only snippets and melodic ideas. I’d love for someone to sit down with him and properly grill him about it.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,839 Times in 2,262 Posts

06-09 songs that may or may have not been mentioned.. I copied/pasted this from some old notes of mine so excuse any repeat titles from earlier posts.

• Lady of Summer
    • Hollywood Tonight
    • Shut Up and Dance
    • Rock Tonight
    • Adore You
    • Breath
    • I Am That One
    • Everybody Wants to Be a Movie Star
    • Beautiful Girl
    • MJ Barry Gibb Song (All in Your Name)
    • Scared of the Moon
    • Thank Heaven
    • Ghost of Another Lover
    • Gloucestershire
    • Throwing Your Life Away
    • Leaving Today to Behin[d]
    • Lonely Bird
    • Broken Chair
    • Red Eye
    • Way You Love Me
    • The Loser
    • Best of Joy
    • D.I.E.
    • Is She Coming Back
    • Dark Lady H2O
    • Bottom of My Heart
    • Hold My Hand
    • Remember What I Told You
    • Can't Stop Loving You
    • Silent Spring
    • You Were There
    • Lady of Summer

• Leaving Today to Behind
    • I'm Dreamin'
    • You Are So Beautiful

Regarding music with John Legend, from my notes - he sent a ballad for Michael and there was not any info as to if it was ever recorded.
    Walk in truth, stand IN JUSTICE https://twitter.com/rasheedKOPV?s=09

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 655
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,052 Times in 1,886 Posts

Honestly, even if these songs don’t exist with vocals, I would gladly buy an EP of instrumentals from the 2005-09 period. I’d love to hear what direction MJ was going with his brand-new songs.

Somebody needs ahold of “Rocker” and “H2O/Dark Lady” already. The amount of praise I’ve heard for those two in particular is ridiculous, and if they’ll never be officially released, they still need to be heard.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    • Leaving Today to Behind
    In my personal opinion, The handwriting on that list made it look like it said "Leaving Today to Benin" as in that country between Togo and Nigeria.

Here's the pic if anyone wants to share their guess as to what it says:

"I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Vocally do you know how complete Rocker & H20/Dark Lady are?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Honestly, even if these songs don’t exist with vocals, I would gladly buy an EP of instrumentals from the 2005-09 period. I’d love to hear what direction MJ was going with his brand-new songs.

Somebody needs ahold of “Rocker” and “H2O/Dark Lady” already. The amount of praise I’ve heard for those two in particular is ridiculous, and if they’ll never be officially released, they still need to be heard.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AmitLal92 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registeredYour first Group1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    I'm going to continue to assume that Hollywood and
    Hollywood tonight are the same song seeing as there's no evidence saying it's not. MJ was working on it at the time so it makes sense that it'd be on his list. He simply shortened the title.
    I actually DO have proof that these 2 are COMPLETELY different. So, "Hollywood Tonight" was written by MJ, Brad Buxer, and Teddy Riley. But "Hollywood" was only worked/written by MJ, Michael Prince, and Brad Buxer. This is coming from the U.S. Copyright Office. If you check "Hollywood Tonight" you'll see Tedy Riley but different people were credited for "Hollywood". It's weird to be a reworked version EVEN it's actually possible to be a reworked version. But if it was the same song, then why they were registered separately. I've never seen the same songs registered under different names and different credits.

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,134 Times in 2,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bobi MJ View Post
    I actually DO have proof that these 2 are COMPLETELY different. So, "Hollywood Tonight" was written by MJ, Brad Buxer, and Teddy Riley. But "Hollywood" was only worked/written by MJ, Michael Prince, and Brad Buxer. This is coming from the U.S. Copyright Office. If you check "Hollywood Tonight" you'll see Tedy Riley but different people were credited for "Hollywood". It's weird to be a reworked version EVEN it's actually possible to be a reworked version. But if it was the same song, then why they were registered separately. I've never seen the same songs registered under different names and different credits.
    Teddy Riley did not write Hollywood Tonight. He wrote that awful spoken bridge in 2010. That's why he's credited on the song. Hollywood Tonight and Hollywood are the same song.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OnirMJ For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registeredYour first Group1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OnirMJ View Post
    Teddy Riley did not write Hollywood Tonight. He wrote that awful spoken bridge in 2010. That's why he's credited on the song. Hollywood Tonight and Hollywood are the same song.
    His spoken bridge was really awful. I heard that MJ wrote his lyrics for the bridge. Does anyone have them?

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rolerprod View Post
    what do we know about RedOne's songs? except from slave to the rhythm ?
    i never seen his name pop up in unreleased discussions
    As for the RedOne tracks... it seems to be pretty inconsistent. RedOne himself said there was enough material to cut together a few songs, whereas Damien Shields (who spoke with him at one point) said there were only snippets and melodic ideas. I’d love for someone to sit down with him and properly grill him about it.
    RedOne hinted that there are entire songs, rather than snippets and melodic ideas.

All the songs that RedOne worked on with Michael Jackson have Michael Jackson’s vocals on them.

Apart from one song, the last one which has Bruno Mars’ voice instead of Michael Jackson’s voice:

… He [Michael Jackson] went in to record the vocals and started singing that I realized again that Michael Jackson is in front of me, I got chills while listening to him singing … I recorded the last song I was supposed to work on with Michael with the voice of Bruno Mars because his voice sounds so similar to Michael’s…” (RedOne)

The RedOne recording sessions lasted approximately two months, and (according to the producer) Michael Jackson appeared to be in good spirits while recording his vocals on them.

These songs seem to be musically similar to Lady Gaga’s ‘Poker Face’ song (2008) because Michael Jackson liked a lot this particular song, so he called RedOne (who produced this song) to work together on musically similar songs.

RedOne described the songs (that he worked on with Michael Jackson) as danceable, energetic and uplifting.

The producer did not reveal how many of these songs are complete enough for a release, but he did indicate that they could fill half an album.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    RedOne hinted that there are entire songs, rather than snippets and melodic ideas.

All the songs that RedOne worked on with Michael Jackson have Michael Jackson’s vocals on them.

Apart from one song, the last one which has Bruno Mars’ voice instead of Michael Jackson’s voice:

… He [Michael Jackson] went in to record the vocals and started singing that I realized again that Michael Jackson is in front of me, I got chills while listening to him singing … I recorded the last song I was supposed to work on with Michael with the voice of Bruno Mars because his voice sounds so similar to Michael’s…” (RedOne)

The RedOne recording sessions lasted approximately two months, and (according to the producer) Michael Jackson appeared to be in good spirits while recording his vocals on them.

These songs seem to be musically similar to Lady Gaga’s ‘Poker Face’ song (2008) because Michael Jackson liked a lot this particular song, so he called RedOne (who produced this song) to work together on musically similar songs.

RedOne described the songs (that he worked on with Michael Jackson) as danceable, energetic and uplifting.

The producer did not reveal how many of these songs are complete enough for a release, but he did indicate that they could fill half an album.
    its so strange how he just sleeps on these songs...how could you do that and for what reason would you do it i dont get it,also hes right with bruno sounding so similar good call ,ill google them to see if that song was released.
    also i hated Redones productions so i wasnt into it when mj worked with him ,very unlike him imo but maybe they were good idk

Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,748 Posts

Couldn't agree more - people clamor for all sorts of MJ stuff, 4K concerts, the short films etc etc but to hear these recordings & the direction he was going in would excite me the most, albeit very bittersweet.

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 747 Posts

It's great to have more information about the direction was heading in. I'd love to hear Dark Lady/H20 or Rocker
    Are H20/Dark Lady the same song?
    I'd love to know more about the song Broken Chair, I've heard it was written around the Bad era then worked on again in 2008 but I speak with no authority on this, it was just an interesting title

I always assumed Hollywood was Hollywood Tonight. On the handwritten notes MJ writes on Hollywood not on Hollywood Tonight
    It's similar to how he called You Rock My World, Rock My World in interviews (private home movies I think)
    The chorus of Hollywood Tonight always reminded of Bad and I can't picture that song ever being called Who's Bad. Just my thoughts