Post Trial Songs (2005-2009)

LightTheWay

Proud Member
The songs around this period (such as Dance Is Entertainment, Rocker, Coco Butter) have always interested me because of how mysterious they are.

Do we have any info on the post trial songs? I'd love to hear about them.

Some information I've recently become privy to:

- "Boy No" is similar to "Days in Gloucestershire" and "Beautiful Girl," with touches of "Human Nature," in terms of production, with a great melody. Michael only ever recorded a verse and chorus, so the Estate would need to call in a second singer if they ever wanted to release it, but it's apparently quite beautiful.

- "Rocker" is allegedly the most finished post-trial songs: proper vocals all the way throughout (albeit with a somewhat incoherent lyrical narrative) w/ some screaming in the final leg, guitar solo, etc. Parallels have been drawn between it and "They Don't Care About Us."

- "H2O/Dark Lady" has been described as having comeback hit potential, had Michael lived to finish and release it. It's got a characteristically earworm bass riff (evidently comparable to Queen's "Under Pressure"), a wonderful melody with a quasi-Arabic chorus, and modern production with synth orchestra hits. The verses are half-baked but the chorus is releasable as-is, so it could be a strong vehicle for a rapper's album, similar to how Drake flipped "Don't Matter to Me."

- "Remember What I Told You" was recorded around June 19, 2009, and is the last song Michael ever put vocals to. It's reportedly similar to "Speechless" in terms of tone, and only has a short verse and multi-layered chorus. It can't be finished in the same way "Boy No" could, but perhaps (in the words of the wonderful individual who told me) it could be a great intro or interlude on an album.

- There's a song called "She Don't Want Me" that sounds a bit like a modernized "The Way You Make Me Feel." There's only a few lines recorded that presumably would've been the chorus, but the melody is catchy.

Thanks always there. Don’t you think there must have been a finished single ready for release to coincide with the start of This is it?

- "Boy No" is similar to "Days in Gloucestershire" and "Beautiful Girl," with touches of "Human Nature," in terms of production, with a great melody. Michael only ever recorded a verse and chorus, so the Estate would need to call in a second singer if they ever wanted to release it, but it's apparently quite beautiful.

- "Rocker" is allegedly the most finished post-trial songs: proper vocals all the way throughout (albeit with a somewhat incoherent lyrical narrative) w/ some screaming in the final leg, guitar solo, etc. Parallels have been drawn between it and "They Don't Care About Us."

- "H2O/Dark Lady" has been described as having comeback hit potential, had Michael lived to finish and release it. It's got a characteristically earworm bass riff (evidently comparable to Queen's "Under Pressure"), a wonderful melody with a quasi-Arabic chorus, and modern production with synth orchestra hits. The verses are half-baked but the chorus is releasable as-is, so it could be a strong vehicle for a rapper's album, similar to how Drake flipped "Don't Matter to Me."

- "Remember What I Told You" was recorded around June 19, 2009, and is the last song Michael ever put vocals to. It's reportedly similar to "Speechless" in terms of tone, and only has a short verse and multi-layered chorus. It can't be finished in the same way "Boy No" could, but perhaps (in the words of the wonderful individual who told me) it could be a great intro or interlude on an album.

- There's a song called "She Don't Want Me" that sounds a bit like a modernized "The Way You Make Me Feel." There's only a few lines recorded that presumably would've been the chorus, but the melody is catchy.

Thank you so much for this new information AlwaysThere!

I didn't think Michael recorded any new music in May/June 2009. Remember What I Told You would be so interesting to hear :eek: Do you have any idea where he might have recorded it? At the Carolwood residence or at a professional recording studio?

When was Boy No recorded? 2007?

Wow that's some nice info.

Smooth72;4296428 said:
Thanks always there. Don’t you think there must have been a finished single ready for release to coincide with the start of This is it?

Not sure! Since Michael was going to go with the gradual single release model, I think he would've spent his downtime between shows working on music.

Derek1984;4296430 said:
And what about the will.i.am stuff?

Absolutely no clue about this. will.i.am said that they finished two songs, so that's what I'd assume is true.

dethorro;4296431 said:
Thank you so much for this new information AlwaysThere!

I didn't think Michael recorded any new music in May/June 2009. Remember What I Told You would be so interesting to hear :eek: Do you have any idea where he might have recorded it? At the Carolwood residence or at a professional recording studio?

When was Boy No recorded? 2007?

Not sure when "Boy No" was recorded sadly -- I'll see if I can find out!

"Remember What I Told You" was apparently recorded in a sound truck parked outside the Staples Center, at some point during between rehearsals. I'd absolutely LOVE to listen to it. There were some songs tracked at the Carolwood residence though -- to my understanding, "Water" (the real one, not the Cascio one) was done there.

Will.I.am said he not gonna release those two songs because he want to respect Michael privacy.

AlwaysThere;4296427 said:

OMG. This is the hottest post on this forum since the announcement of XSCAPE imo.
Thank you so incredibly much. I need to listen to them so badly. The estate really have to release something in the very near future or I will go crazy lol. But I am little bit confused about „Remember What I Told You“. Someone on this forum told me a few months ago that this one and „Adore You“, „Rocker“ and „Water“ are all fully finished vocally. So that’s a bit confusing to me right now. Maybe you can ask your new source about Adore You and Water for me? 🙏
Again thank you so so much

Interesting stuff. Hopefully we get hear these one day. Thanks for sharing!

This is the best post on here in a while, I knew absolutely nothing of this. Awesome awesome stuff. Hope we hear it one day!!

No mention of "adore you"? I guess it is from before 2005. It is supposed to be pretty close to completion too.

Water, rocker could get finished if what you say is true

I hope the others you mentioned surface in some rappers song as a chorus or something one day.

Speaking of the Drake song "don't matter to me" of what song is that MJ vocal from?

My brother AlwaysThere delivering new unheard interesting info on unreleased tracks. Some things never change, thanks man

AlwaysThere, would you mind telling us what songs you have heard that the general fan base haven’t?

JichaelMackson;4296465 said:
Speaking of the Drake song "don't matter to me" of what song is that MJ vocal from?

The song's called "It Don’t Matter To Me" (written w/ Paul Anka in 1980)

Fuzball;4296470 said:
The song's called "It Don’t Matter To Me" (written w/ Paul Anka in 1980)

Sounds like there is a more completed version than what we got to hear in Drake's song?

the mention of the song "Water" has me confused. did Michael actually write the songs that Jason Malachi sang/did he record them in some capacity??

Thank you so much for all your info about unreleased songs

Do you mind telling how you get that info (if it's through books, interviews...)? I'm always eager to learn about MJ's unreleased stuff :angel:

Thanks a lot for this information.

I love to hear all of these songs, especially Boy No and H20. Really, I would love to hear every single post trial song, just to get an idea of which direction MJ was going and how his vocals evolved. The only post trial song that we have heard so far is Hold My Hold, which I like very much.

And interesting to see that Michael recorded "Remember What I Told You" in June 2009. I was always under the impression that Michael's last ever recording was in October 2008, when he recorded Best of Joy.

Last edited:
the mention of the song "Water" has me confused. did Michael actually write the songs that Jason Malachi sang/did he record them in some capacity??

No no MJ had nothing to do with the Malachi songs. This is a different song altogether

"Remember What I Told You" was apparently recorded in a sound truck parked outside the Staples Center, at some point during between rehearsals. I'd absolutely LOVE to listen to it. There were some songs tracked at the Carolwood residence though -- to my understanding, "Water" (the real one, not the Cascio one) was done there.

The thing is that June 19th was one of the worst rehearsal days according to Kenny Ortega (btw they were still rehearsing at The Forum on that day), so it's interesting to know that he also recorded a song on this day.

I'm so curious to hear this song!

The thing is that June 19th was one of the worst rehearsal days according to Kenny Ortega (btw they were still rehearsing at The Forum on that day), so it's interesting to know that he also recorded a song on this day.

what was wrong on certain days? what happened?

what was wrong on certain days? what happened?

Well, on that particular day...June 19th...Michael wasn't feeling well and had chills, so he couldn't rehearse. He watched the rehearsals and left early.

Playing a bit of catch-up here! So glad everyone responded well to the info:)

mjfan_93;4296443 said:
But I am little bit confused about „Remember What I Told You“. Someone on this forum told me a few months ago that this one and „Adore You“, „Rocker“ and „Water“ are all fully finished vocally. So that’s a bit confusing to me right now. Maybe you can ask your new source about Adore You and Water for me? ��

I believe I know the user you're referring to, and it's to my understanding that most of his/her posts were based purely on speculation. I don't want to write them off entirely but what they claimed often contradicted what others said, so I don't read into it too much. The persons I spoke to said that "Adore You" was practically nonexistent other than a choir, and "Water" was only a chorus. But I will be sure to look further into it!

nextbigthing56;4296469 said:
AlwaysThere, would you mind telling us what songs you have heard that the general fan base haven’t?

Unfortunately, none (though that doesn't stop me from trying!)

LightTheWay;4296484 said:
Do you mind telling how you get that info (if it's through books, interviews...)? I'm always eager to learn about MJ's unreleased stuff :angel:

This information comes from a number of people who have been generous enough to speak to me, including engineers who worked on the songs, friends of the producers/musicians, and fans who have heard them. Almost all of the information I've learned over the last few years has been verified by at least two independent sources, so I'm incredibly confident in it and VERY thankful that people trust me enough to share their knowledge with me.

Nite Line;4296492 said:
I was always under the impression that Michael's last ever recording was in October 2008, when he recorded Best of Joy.

So was I, but I believe Michael Prince said to the MJ Cast that the October 2008 sessions were simply the last ones in which Michael really gave his all in the studio; from then on, he only recorded scratch vocals or choruses.

dethorro;4296544 said:

In fairness, the person I spoke to seemed uncertain about that date in particular. It was definitely in June, so perhaps it was earlier and/or later. But definitely June!

AlwaysThere;4296625 said:

Oh my bad. For some reason I thought you were a part of the trade circle. So it isn’t you that has Can’t Get Your Weight Off Of Me? I must be thinking of another member here.

AlwaysThere;4296625 said:

I believe I know the user you're referring to, and it's to my understanding that most of his/her posts were based purely on speculation. I don't want to write them off entirely but what they claimed often contradicted what others said, so I don't read into it too much. The persons I spoke to said that "Adore You" was practically nonexistent other than a choir, and "Water" was only a chorus. But I will be sure to look further into it!

This information comes from a number of people who have been generous enough to speak to me, including engineers who worked on the songs, friends of the producers/musicians, and fans who have heard them. Almost all of the information I've learned over the last few years has been verified by at least two independent sources, so I'm incredibly confident in it and VERY thankful that people trust me enough to share their knowledge with me.

So was I, but I believe Michael Prince said to the MJ Cast that the October 2008 sessions were simply the last ones in which Michael really gave his all in the studio; from then on, he only recorded scratch vocals or choruses.

In fairness, the person I spoke to seemed uncertain about that date in particular. It was definitely in June, so perhaps it was earlier and/or later. But definitely June!
Now I am more confused than ever. I don’t have my information from the member you are thinking about. I have it from the guy with the big number in his nickname ;) He told me that 4 songs from MJs final years are vocally fully finished. Only the music is not finished yet. The 4 songs he named are: Adore You, Remember What I Told You, Rocker and Water.
I was so happy and excited when I heard that.

Now it seems that Adore You has no Vocals, Water and Remember What I Told You has only a few. It’s very frustrating. I wish Buxer/Michael Prince could step in and end the confusion once and for all.

According to Travis3000 Adore You and Rocker are not complete but enough is done to get an idea of where he was going. Either way if there is enough vocals on these songs etc then a singer/rapper would probably be needed to complete them. Would be a waste for the vocals to just sit in the vault and not get used.

Back