Was the song Dangerous supposed to get a short film?

Iwasaloser619

Proud Member
I recently bought the Dangerous album, and I was wondering if the song Dangerous was supposed to get a short film? Does anybody know?

I believe so. I think it was originally supposed to be the last single from the Dangerous album.

I believe that elements from You Rock My World video were inspired by the cancelled Dangerous music video.

Dangerous (song) is one of Michael’s best songs and had massive hit potential. It’s a shame that its single release was cancelled due to the allegations.

I believe that Dangerous should have come out as a single at the time of its performance at the AMA 93. That would have been a good enough promotion to perhaps propel it to #1 on the charts. Unfortunately, they waited too long to release Dangerous and in the end, it didn’t end up getting a release.

Nite Line;4296502 said:
I believe that elements from You Rock My World video were inspired by the cancelled Dangerous music video.

Dangerous (song) is one of Michael’s best songs and had massive hit potential. It’s a shame that its single release was cancelled due to the allegations.

I believe that Dangerous should have come out as a single at the time of its performance at the AMA 93. That would have been a good enough promotion to perhaps propel it to #1 on the charts. Unfortunately, they waited too long to release Dangerous and in the end, it didn’t end up getting a release.

Yes, I agree with you on all points. This is what I have heard and read, with regard to the Dangerous song and proposed video/short film.

Just for members who don't know: it was rumoured, at one time, that Pamela Anderson was being vetted by Michael to appear in his proposed "Dangerous" short film - Pamela has been rather coy about this rumour and would never strongly confirm or deny, when asked, but rather just put hints and innuendos out there. She and Michael supposedly met twice for a date/discussion in Malibu.

Debate within the fandom has always raged, as to whether we think this could be Michael, or not.

80919L4_ANDERSON_P_B_GR_03.jpg

Here at 00:56, when asked if she is actually dating MJ, Pamela says.... "he just wants me to be in his video.

[video=youtube;u20m2y_nH_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=30&v=u20m2y_nH_8&feature=emb_logo[/video]

Mikky Dee;4296506 said:
She and Michael supposedly met twice for a date/discussion in Malibu.

Debate within the fandom has always raged, as to whether we think this could be Michael, or not.

80919L4_ANDERSON_P_B_GR_03.jpg

These are hardly debatable issues.

Firstly, this guy with the mask is not Michael Jackson.

You can also see that in this guy’s body and movements, which have nothing to do with Michael Jackson.

Secondly, Michael Jackson and Pamela Anderson did not meet twice for a date or a discussion in Malibu.

Actually, they never met in Malibu, and this was a fake story that simply came from the British tabloid ‘Daily Mirror’ newspaper.

Besides, the newspaper claimed that the first meeting took place at the Shutters Hotel on Malibu Beach, which does not make sense.

“According to the Daily Mirror, Jackson and Anderson have been meeting at the Shutters Hotel on Malibu Beach, arriving separately so as not to raise suspicions” (Daily Mirror)

Shutters Hotel is actually located on Santa Monica Beach, not on Malibu Beach.

Wasn't it revealed later who that guy with the white mask actually was?
I can't remember nor find anything about it online anymore, but it wasn't Michael.
The masked guy had turned up on more than one occasion... it was some kind of promotion stunt for something.

Apparently rumours that it is Michael Jackson were deliberately spread on scene.
“Westwood’s personal assistant was overheard by a Reuters witness telling two members of the audience that Anderson’s mysterious plus-one was the reclusive King of Pop.” https://lacienegasmiled.wordpress.com/category/2008-pamela-anderson/

I wish Dangerous had been a single with a proper short film. But I doubt that there was anything planned besides a Dangerous tour clip montage or so. Wasn't the single sheduled for late 1993? Michael was still busy on tour back then, so when would he have had the time to shoot a full video like You Rock My World.

Last edited:
I think it was definitely planned to be released as a single and MV (I know, short film :tongue:). I doubt there would be a teaser directed by David Lynch otherwise, they must have planned some follow-up. Plus, it screams for being adapted to video, and they had a choreography ready as well.

180720_DavidLynch_feat.png

It's an awful lot we missed due to the allegations. :(

A short for dangerous & is this scary in 93.. around the same time.... the same time he was still touring

A short for dangerous & is this scary in 93.. around the same time.... the same time he was still touring

Yep. He interrupted filming Is It Scary to go on the last leg of the Dangerous tour.
Without the allegations he would probably have hardly made it to complete Is It Scary, which was also sheduled for 1993 (along the Adams Family Values film).

And there's no trace of a priorly completed Dangerous short film. If so, why not include it on "Dangerous The Short Films" then? That montage clip at the end of "Dangerous The Short Films" maybe is a part of what would have been released as a video for the single.

Last edited:
analogue;4296534 said:
I wish I could invent a time machine to back and stop Michael from ever meeting the chandlers.

Remember that Gutierrez was scheming in the background, infiltrating MJ’s circles. A different story would have been fabricated, if it hadn’t been the Chandlers. And Sneddon would have gleefully picked it up.

analogue;4296534 said:
I wish I could invent a time machine to back and stop Michael from ever meeting the chandlers.

Oh yeah. :(

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Michael Jackson's car stalled in front of my office at a time before cell phones, in a weird twist of fate he couldn't get in touch with anyone and I drove him to a repair place, his world changed forever</p>&mdash; Anne Prenatt Green (@greenswede82) <a href="https://twitter.com/greenswede82/status/1095441342673563648?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 12, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I doubt there would be a teaser directed by David Lynch otherwise, they must have planned some follow-up. Plus, it screams for being adapted to video, and they had a choreography ready as well.

David Lynch also made several artsy short clips and short movies. The Dangerous teaser was likely just that.

David Lynch also made several artsy short clips and short movies. The Dangerous teaser was likely just that.

Could be, of course. But Dangerous is so "visual", it has so much potential to be made into a short film, I always had this feeling it was even created with this intention in mind. It's just my assumption though, which is reinforced (but not verified of course) by two more facts: the existence of the choreography and how heavily the song is influenced by Old Hollywood movies, to the point of borrowing some lines from The Bandwagon (starring Fred Astaire). Sure, that can be said about the Smooth Criminal video already, but still.

Edited to clarify: I didn't mean to imply there was an MV in the making (sorry if my previous post was misleading), just the strong possibility of intending to make one.

Last edited:
David Lynch is a real character...and an incredible artist.

I'd love to see their interactions that day. If any behind the scenes stuff exists.

Do you actually get any of his films though :-D
For me they are too abstract mostly, nightmarish especially Mulholland Drive. I actually like that one even if I don't get it at all.

Do you actually get any of his films though :-D
For me they are too abstract mostly, nightmarish especially Mulholland Drive. I actually like that one even if I don't get it at all.

I'm a huge sucker for Twin Peaks, really. Though I never much cared for the movie.

My fav is Wild A Heart. :blush:

BTW check out The Straight Story too, it's quite, well, straight :), so not like his other films, and very enjoyable IMO.

Maybe it's because I'm a huge Lynch fan, but I see some Lynchy inspirations, for example...

The Pepsi "Dreams" commercial has a bit of a Twin Peaks feel.

The Dangerous demo (at the end from 5:50)
https://youtu.be/57Em6_eoTac?t=350
...includes the melody / harmonie from one of the reoccurring themes in the Twin Peaks score.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woUt7wPe8Ow
(The one that's also sampled in Moby's "Go")

Michael's Kirara Basso commercial always reminded me of Lynch's "Dune" movie.

I wish they had done more together...

MJ-David-Lynch.jpg

Last edited:
While Dangerous is my least favorite album including the song. i think it was. i see dangerous as smooth criminal 2.0. i think that's what Michael was going for. like someone said You Rock My World is kind of basically Dangerous short film just alittle bit different.

Yes, I agree with you on all points. This is what I have heard and read, with regard to the Dangerous song and proposed video/short film.

Just for members who don't know: it was rumoured, at one time, that Pamela Anderson was being vetted by Michael to appear in his proposed "Dangerous" short film - Pamela has been rather coy about this rumour and would never strongly confirm or deny, when asked, but rather just put hints and innuendos out there. She and Michael supposedly met twice for a date/discussion in Malibu.

I remember hearing something about Julia Roberts potentially being in the video. Don't know how much truth there is to that. Would've been interesting to see what could have been had the single and video gone forward.

It would be a perfect song for a musicvideo. Sad it didn't happen.

i see dangerous as smooth criminal 2.0. i think that's what Michael was going for. like someone said You Rock My World is kind of basically Dangerous short film just alittle bit different.

I mean they can all be traced directly back to The Band Wagon.

Maybe it's because I'm a huge Lynch fan, but I see some Lynchy inspirations, for example...

The Pepsi "Dreams" commercial has a bit of a Twin Peaks feel.

The Dangerous demo (at the end from 5:50)
https://youtu.be/57Em6_eoTac?t=350
...includes the melody / harmonie from one of the reoccurring themes in the Twin Peaks score.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woUt7wPe8Ow
(The one that's also sampled in Moby's "Go")

Michael's Kirara Basso commercial always reminded me of Lynch's "Dune" movie.

I wish they had done more together...

MJ-David-Lynch.jpg

I agree with this.
To be honest as good and as iconic is the Dangerous live performance with it's fedora/Gangster theme, I actually always thought that theme didn't ever suit the song.

I too envisaged the theme and visuals of this song to be more along the lines of the Dangerous Teaser by David Lych. A music video part real/part animated, like the teaser, definitely along the lines of that Japanese desert commercial and the Pepsi dreams commercial. TBH I used to think the japanese commercial footage was unreleased footage of the Dangerous video dubbed over with Black Or White audio. MJs look in that video - all black, straight hair seems to suit the song more to me. When they made that commercial who knows what he was actually dancing to? I doubt it was BOW, unless behind the scenes footage exists online. I'd like to imagine it was Dangerous he was dancing to. (remember during the panther segment of BOW MJ is actually dancing to Dangerous audio, not BOW).

I mean, when you see this it's basically the first 30secs of the Dangerous audio, so when the eyes come right at you I can totally hear the beat starting and MJ in the desert or something.

Last edited:
A NY Times article from 2018 with David Lynch talking about his MJ collaboration:

&#8216;Dangerous&#8217;

In 1991, Lynch directed a 30-second teaser trailer for Michael Jackson&#8217;s album &#8220;Dangerous.&#8221; Opening with the very Lynchian image of fluttering red curtains, it concludes with Jackson&#8217;s head in a floating bubble. Jackson expressed great interest in the topic of Lynch&#8217;s 1980 film, &#8220;The Elephant Man.&#8221;

I&#8217;m in the living room in L.A. and my phone rings and there&#8217;s Michael Jackson on the phone, telling me he wants me to do some kind of trailer for his album &#8220;Dangerous.&#8221; I said, &#8220;I don&#8217;t know if I can do it; I don&#8217;t have any ideas for it,&#8221; but as soon as I hang up and started walking toward the hall, all these ideas came up. I called back and said, &#8220;I got some ideas,&#8221; and I worked on that with John Dykstra in his studio.

We built this miniature world that was a red room with a little teeny door, and in the room were these weird modern-shaped wooden trees and a mound with silver fluid that was going to erupt in flames and then reveal Michael Jackson&#8217;s face. It was stop-action, and it took a long time to do. For me, things don&#8217;t have to be so exact, but these people working on it plotted it out to the nth degree. The trees were lacquered red or black and the people who went in to move them wore white gloves and moved them along this precisely marked-out route.

That was one part of the thing. The other part was shooting Michael&#8217;s face, and we had a camera rig for that with a circle of lights that created this fantastic look of focus with no shadows. All Michael had to do was stand in one place for a few minutes, but he was in makeup for eight or ten hours. How could someone be in makeup for ten hours? It&#8217;s someone very critical about their looks. Finally he was ready and he came out and I met him for the first time and all he wanted to do was talk about the Elephant Man. He tried to buy the bones and the cloak and all his stuff from the museum and he asked me questions about it and was a really nice guy. Then he stood there and we shot it and one minute later he was done.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/arts/television/david-lynch-room-to-dream.html

And while we're at it... some more photos from that shoot I found so far.
(Only showing Michael unfortunately).

rare1.jpg

76363-1227402861825-1731678178-412377-742176-n.jpg

23077265.jpg

63539263.jpg

Anyone got more? :)

Last edited:
Found two more MJ - Lynch connections...

The wheelchair guy in the "Who Is It" video is Ian Buchanan, one of the actors in Twin Peaks.

tumblr-mrrdh1-FUCT1sf8iqvo6-r1-640.jpg

And maybe a little random, but:

40370165-2237052726365141-1594403250252021760-n.jpg

Backwards-talking little guy from Twin Peaks vs BOTDF cover. :D

Back