How did David Byrne end up in Spike Lee's Off The Wall doc?

JichaelMackson

Proud Member
I noticed while reading some old articles that he was interviewed for the doc. I don't think he even met Michael?
I highly doubt he had a positive view on Michael so it's weird he is in the movie.

How did Pharrell Williams?
How did Questlove?
How did The Weeknd?
How did Kobe Bryant?
How did L.A. Reid?
How did DJ Spinna?
How did John Leguizamo?

Why were HALF of these people in the documentary?

Good point but I guess those people were at least influenced or fans of Michael. David Byrne definitely not as he is a contemporary of MJ

Weird documentary, plain weird

How did Pharrell Williams?
How did Questlove?
How did The Weeknd?
How did Kobe Bryant?
How did L.A. Reid?
How did DJ Spinna?
How did John Leguizamo?

Why were HALF of these people in the documentary?
John Leguizamo is the one that confuses me the most, especially considering he only had one part in the whole doc.

Good point but I guess those people were at least influenced or fans of Michael. David Byrne definitely not as he is a contemporary of MJ

Weird documentary, plain weird

One doesn't negate the other. He could have been inspired by him/OTW and still be a contemporary.

Agree. I was bored before it even got half way through.did i even watch it all? Cant remember! For an mj fan to say a pro mj doc is boring says alot

I liked the Off the Wall documentary. It wasn't as great as Bad 25 but it was good.

Didn't Byrne end up buying one of Michael's gloves after he died? I feel like I remember a story about that.

Also I think Michael and Talking Heads had a publicist in common. I bought Howard Bloom's recent book, if anything comes up in that I'll let you know. I haven't got round to starting it yet.

IS this streaming anywhere or available to watch online anywhere?

Maybe Spike & David are buddies since Spike recently filmed David's Broadway play American Utopia.

Spike Lee to Direct Film Version of David Byrne’s ‘American Utopia’ Broadway Show

By Daniel Kreps | February 1, 2020 | Rolling Stone
10451595m.jpg

Spike Lee will direct a film version of David Byrne’s American Utopia Broadway show, due out later this year.

Deadline reported Friday that production companies Participant, RadicalMedia, Byrne’s Todomundo, Lee’s Forty Acres and a Mule Filmwork, River Road Entertainment and Warner Music Group will produce the film version of the hit Broadway show, which ends its five-month residency at New York’s Hudson Theatre on February 16th.

“Pinch me,” Byrne said in a statement. “This couldn’t have worked out better for this project. Spike Lee directing and Participant producing — two socially engaged teams, well, three if you count us in the band, coming together in what I feel will be something moving, important, and unlike anything anyone has seen before.”

American Utopia is a true celebration from a great artist and a beautiful reminder to our nation that we are all born barefoot and wearing the same suit,” Participant CEO David Linde said in a statement, while RadicalMedia CEO Jon Kamen added, “Stop Making Sense is one of the greatest music performance films ever. To have the opportunity to revisit the genius of David Byrne with American Utopia and produce a bookend film with Spike Lee and [cinematographer] Ellen Kuras is a dream.”

The American Utopia film’s release date was not announced — though producers anticipate a 2020 release — nor was the movie’s release, whether on the big screen or streaming service, detailed. The Broadway show was born out of Byrne’s 2018 album of the same title.

In November 2019, after American Utopia opened at Broadway, Byrne spoke to Rolling Stone about achieving “American utopia.” “As I say in the show, sometimes it’s little by little, but the good news is that we can change. Not all of us have the same ideas we had when we were young — or our parents’ generation — whether that’s ideas about race or same-sex [marriage] or whatever it might be,” he said.

“A lot of things have changed where, when I was a child, it would be hard to imagine those things could change. Many of them have, and many of them have a long way to go. But the amount of change that there has been is kind of astonishing if you can remember where things were a few decades ago. So the fact that there is evidence of that happening is pretty hopeful.”

Back