When MJ released something it was an event

JichaelMackson

Proud Member
I don't know how it was for you guys but when I was a kid/teen MJ was still in his prime and each time he'd release something new it was an event that got lots of attention.

I remember the thriller video release. My uncle bought it and invited us to come over to watch it together, the entire family was awestruck, never had they seen a music video like it. I clearly remember the jubilant atmosphere during and after the video, the laughs, the shrieks (of the women ;-) ) and me scarred for life.

When MJ was in the country for a concert it was build up for weeks, the day itself was mayhem, radio stations cued up his music non stop, reports were coming of people on their way to the stadium, his shows opened the news programs, everybody talked about it.

When a new single got released it was also build up for days and then radio stations would all debut the song at the same time (probably in fear of everyone tuning in to the station that played the song so everyone decided to play it). I remember this clearly happened for the blood on the dance floor single.

I also remember the Ghosts short film debut on tv right before the evening news, it was a big deal, many people sit in front of their tv at that moment. They would also air the dangerous Bucharest concert prime time on tv.

When the scream video debuted it managed to get an entire page in the newspapers reviewing the videoclip. When Black Or White debuted the entire world saw it at the same time.

In conclusion I haven't seen such things since, MJ was a megastar beyond imagination. Younger fans can't possibly grasp this, when MJ visited a country it was mayhem and it took over the media coverage. If you didn't know MJ was in the country you lived under a rock.

While MJ was and still kind of big music wise. I think we shouldn't always down younger fans. at least some of them into older stuff then newer stuff. we should be glad they like MJ then the artists they have today. not saying their artists aren't bad but hey. I say let younger fans enjoy even though they wasn't around and if they want to portrayal others artists as him they can because remember this is their generation not ours.

so I agree with everything you said just cut the younger fans some slack and let them enjoy MJ and tell them the history about him and his music etc. :)

most artists today are copying off of MJ that's a fact. he pretty much still inspiring artists today and still on the charts. he still pretty much king. :bow: do i think we will ever have anyone like him again? maybe not in our lifetime but maybe another generation lifetime.

Also we shouldn't down fans who didn't become fans after he pass or fans who wasn't fans after Leaving Neverland. i see that as a gain. they probably didn't see Michael when he was alive etc but at least they are now discovering him etc.

Michael Jackson used to have a very effective team that controlled media (right before releasing a new album, a new single, a new music video, or right before giving a concert in a particular country) so as to promote him in the best possible way.

Sometimes he even resorted to unconventional ways of promoting his new music, such as when he deliberately leaked to certain radio stations some of his upcoming songs (before their official release date) in order to hype-up his new music.

The ‘You Rock My World’ song leak (to KTU radio station), and the ‘Scream’ song leak to certain radio stations are just two examples.

In some other cases he overdid it with his promotional campaign, like when his HIStory Statue was floating down the River Thames (in England) in order to signal and promote the ‘HIStory’ album and the HIStory Tour.

Aside from his promotional campaigns, in Europe in the ‘90s was still very successful to the point where he was treated like royalty whenever he visited a European country for giving a concert.

European cities literally paralyzed (in that period) when Michael Jackson was there right before performing, and a very characteristic example is when he invaded Prague in 1996.

What happened in Prague during his one-week stay there was beyond belief, when there were hundreds of fans outside the InterContinental Prague Hotel chanting his name, singing his songs, and playing loud his music from audio players all day and all night for an entire week.

mj_frenzy;4297636 said:
Michael Jackson used to have a very effective team that controlled media (right before releasing a new album, a new single, a new music video, or right before giving a concert in a particular country) so as to promote him in the best possible way.

It's called music industry, Sherlock.

mj_frenzy;4297636 said:
Sometimes he even resorted to unconventional ways of promoting his new music, such as when he deliberately leaked to certain radio stations some of his upcoming songs (before their official release date) in order to hype-up his new music.

The ‘You Rock My World’ song leak (to KTU radio station), and the ‘Scream’ song leak to certain radio stations are just two examples.

Says Ian Halperin?

Leaks most certainly were not done on purpose by Michael Jackson himself (lol) or his label, as usually they worked with specific radio stations / tv channels to premiere things. The way the music industry was set up back then, there were many possibilities for songs to leak shortly before release. With all the people involved from the music studio, record label, pressing plants to distributors etc, who all had to have things in advance of release.

From Wikipedia regarding the Scream leak:
Two weeks before the official release of "Scream", Jackson happened to hear it on a Los Angeles radio station. The station was playing "Scream" once an hour until served with a cease and desist order from Epic Records. Two other stations in Philadelphia also received similar orders. All involved denied that Epic leaked them the song early. The song had been a closely guarded secret by the label and most staff members were not allowed access to a copy.[29]

Though they potentially faced legal action, the Los Angeles radio station programmer noted that, "some things are more important... The record company was furious, lawyers were involved and the situation got hairy... But on a release as big as Michael Jackson's, there's no way we're going to wait if we receive a leak. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity because his security is really insane."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scream_(Michael_Jackson_and_Janet_Jackson_song)#Leaking_of_"Scream"

mj_frenzy;4297636 said:
In some other cases he overdid it with his promotional campaign, like when his HIStory Statue was floating down the River Thames (in England) in order to signal and promote the ‘HIStory’ album and the HIStory Tour.

A tour had not been confirmed / announced at that point (June 1995).

"Overdid"? In the eye of the hater and biased media that wanted this album to fail, yes.

Otherwise the HIStory campaign including the 9 statues set up all over Europe in June 1995 was very effectiv. The album sold 2 million copies and went to number one in 10 European countries in the first week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlwXzqi964w

mj_frenzy;4297636 said:
Aside from his promotional campaigns, in Europe in the ‘90s was still very successful to the point where he was treated like royalty whenever he visited a European country for giving a concert.

European cities literally paralyzed (in that period) when Michael Jackson was there right before performing, and a very characteristic example is when he invaded Prague in 1996.

If you had been there in those times, you would well know that it was always a mixed bag of hype, true love and shitstorm depending on the direction you looked.

Last edited:
I'll never forget those days, always so exciting when he released something new or you could go to a concert with him. Or even just seeing new pictures of him was sooo exciting. I sure miss those days

It's called music industry, Sherlock

If the 1st hand source itself puts it out, it's not a "leak".

Leaks most certainly were not done on purpose by Michael Jackson himself (lol) or his label, as usually they worked with specific radio stations / tv channels to premiere things. The way the music industry was set up back then, there were many possibilities for songs to leak shortly before release. With all the people involved from the music studio, record label, pressing plants to distributors etc, who all had to have things in advance of release.

A tour had not been confirmed / announced at that point (June 1995).

"Overdid"? In the eye of the hater and biased media that wanted this album to fail, yes.

Otherwise the HIStory campaign including the 9 statues set up all over Europe in June 1995 was very effectiv. The album sold 2 million copies and went to number one in 10 European countries in the first week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlwXzqi964w

If you had been there in those times, you would well know that it was always a mixed bag of hype, true love and shitstorm.

Thank you, Electro for telling it like it IS, without the biased BS.

There was nothing like watching T.O.T.P (uk ppl will know!) waiting for the premier of the first video release off a new album. Those were the days. Something the young today will never understand! An mj music video release was an event in its self

There was nothing like watching T.O.T.P (uk ppl will know!) waiting for the premier of the first video release off a new album. Those were the days. Something the young today will never understand! An mj music video release was an event in its self

I have to be honest, in the 80s, TOTP were not big supporters of MJ. I mean in the sense that they never really gave his stuff a lot of attention. I think all the videos got played once. Even though Michael was massively popular in the UK, particularly during the Bad era, other artists enjoyed significantly more plays on that show.

But yeah, I miss the days that JichaelMackson described. I think we forget how massive Michael's reach was. When he did something, the world stopped and paid attention. Whether you were a fan or not, you knew about it.

Cant say i really watched TOTP except for the premiers so couldnt comment on that.

They've been re-running the episodes week by week in order in the UK. I've been watching every week since 1982. This week we're up to November 1989. The BBC have aired every episode except the ones hosted by Jimmy Saville and Mike Smith. Additionally, I've noticed one other skipped episode which they declined to re-air last year on the basis of "sound issues" - it also just happened to be an episode where Dirty Diana played at the end of the show.

When a song hits number one, it gets played regardless. However when I Just Can't Stop Loving You hit #1 in the UK, because there was no video, they just played something else. Also something I don't recall happening elsewhere.

I'm not suggesting any anti-MJ sentiments existed with the TOTP programmers...it's just that other artists undoubtedly received far more attention.

Back