The 9 HIStory Statues by Derek Howarth

Electro

Proud Member
Love them or hate them, I've always had a fascination with those 9 huge HIStory statues by British sculptor Derek Howarth (modelled after Diana Walczak's original sculpture). Simply for the fact that it was such an epic promotional stunt to see them displayed and moved around the world.

One thing I wonder is, what is the full list of European countries that had a statue set up in June 1995 for the release of the HIStory album. Several reports from that time mention 9 statues being put up all over Europe.

The one on the River Thames in London probably being the most reported one:

Then there's the one in Berlin that I saw myself:

At that time in June 1995, which countries had the other 7 statues? And where did they go?
Any videos / photos? :)

Last edited:
Re: The 9 HIStory statues in Europe (June 1995)

This has got to be one of the biggest marketing campaigns anyone ever pulled off. It's crazy when you think about it, this was '95!

I wonder why Michael used his Dangerous Tour outfit on HIStory album cover?

There was also one in Prague:

Jackson-statue-unkn.jpg

And one in Holland:

jackson-statue-big-70.jpg

The statue in Prague was installed later, on 3rd September 1996 to promote the first HIStory concert there.
In June 1995 it must have been somewhere else.

imago0092004798w.jpg

imago0092004804w.jpg

It was dismantled on 8th September, the morning after the concert, maybe to travel along the HIStory tour.
Some photos I made there:

HIStory-Statue-Prag-03-1200.jpg

HIStory-Statue-Prag-05-1200.jpg

HIStory-Statue-Prag-04-1200.jpg

HIStory-Statue-Prag-02-1200.jpg

Seems only a few were displayed for a longer bit of time at the initial June 1995 place before travelling on or ending up in funny places.

The Berlin one was up on that buildings roof (at least) over a month.
Installed 17th June. My shaky video recorded 25th July 1995:

Last edited:

Before being placed in Milan the same statue was in Riccione (Italy)... It was unveiled on June 30th 1995

Nice, never seen this. Thanks!
Do you know where exactly it was placed? And how long it stayed there? Or any other infos about it?

Seems the statue that appeared in Sydney, Australia in November 1996 was the one from Prague.

"...8 meter statue flown in from Prague..."
https://youtu.be/ka4VTVd2lZE?t=95

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

000-sapa961117001940-1-0.jpg

reuters-20090626-10882584-0-data.jpg

Was this in Melbourne?:
syd1.jpg

Last edited:

Nice, never seen this. Thanks!
Do you know where exactly it was placed? And how long it stayed there? Or any other infos about it?
Sorry, I made a mistake. I'm not sure if it's the same statue or another one, I can't find any info or reason about it being moved from Milan to a smaller and less known city.

For sure these are the dates when they were placed:
Milan on June 15th 1995
Riccione on June 30th 1995

In Milan it was at Acquatica waterpark and in Riccione it was at Aquafan waterpark.

This source says it stayed in Riccione for all the summertime.
And it lists some other cities where it was placed (London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Zurich, Amsterdam, Vienna)
http://www1.adnkronos.com/Archivio/...DOMANI-A-RICCIONE-ARRIVA-LA-STATUA_141900.php

Last edited:

This has got to be one of the biggest marketing campaigns anyone ever pulled off. It's crazy when you think about it, this was '95!

Ture. i don't know how anyone can pull this off today.

MJRemixed;4297659 said:

Sony spent a lot of money for the HIStory promotional campaign mainly because they wanted to replace him emphatically in the entertainment world after the huge damage that he had underwent due to the allegations against him few years earlier.

Also, Somy believed in the strong potential of the ‘HIStory’ album (in terms of sales), so they thought that they would easily recoup later these millions of money (that they invested on that promotional campaign) through the estimated high sales of the album which was also priced as a double disc album meaning a higher retail price and thus even higher revenues for the company from its sales.

Galactus123;4297660 said:

Michael Jackson and Sony wanted to use his opening ‘Jam’ pose and outfit (from the Dangerous Tour) for the creation of the HIStory Statue.

Also, Michael Jackson wanted to be dressed in his trademark faux military jacket with epaulets (along with the leotard) because that was also his favourite on stage outfit that people were also very familiar with.

So, he posed with that particular outfit for the photo shoot which would serve as the basis of the creation of the HIStory Statue.

Sony spent a lot of money for the HIStory promotional campaign mainly because they wanted to replace him emphatically in the entertainment world after the huge damage that he had underwent due to the allegations against him few years earlier.

The UK press found it very distasteful at the time.

Jackson Rules;4297869 said:
Sorry, I made a mistake. I'm not sure if it's the same statue or another one, I can't find any info or reason about it being moved from Milan to a smaller and less known city.

For sure these are the dates when they were placed:
Milan on June 15th 1995
Riccione on June 30th 1995

In Milan it was at Acquatica waterpark and in Riccione it was at Aquafan waterpark.

This source says it stayed in Riccione for all the summertime.
And it lists some other cities where it was placed (London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Zurich, Amsterdam, Vienna)
http://www1.adnkronos.com/Archivio/...DOMANI-A-RICCIONE-ARRIVA-LA-STATUA_141900.php

Thanks!
It's likely the same statue.

mj_frenzy;4297935 said:
Michael Jackson and Sony wanted to use his opening ‘Jam’ pose and outfit (from the Dangerous Tour) for the creation of the HIStory Statue.

Also, Michael Jackson wanted to be dressed in his trademark faux military jacket with epaulets (along with the leotard) because that was also his favourite on stage outfit that people were also very familiar with.

So, he posed with that particular outfit for the photo shoot which would serve as the basis of the creation of the HIStory Statue.

Captain Obvious strikes again. :D

But. There doesn't seem to have been a plan from the start to go with that exact black 4-belt outfit for the statue design. The initial idea Michael seems to have had, was only about "a statue". Then some designer developed rough ideas:

HIStory-cover-entwuerfe.jpg

...and as you can see there, Michael decided for the version that resembles the sparkly blue 2-belt 'Jam' jacket outfit, and things evolved from there. In the end they likely used the black 4-belt outfit instead, because it was more suitable to turn into a stone-like statue.

Last edited:

The River Thames UK statue went to Japan.
It first appeared there in Toyko for a presentation on 15th September 1995 at the Tokyo Dome...

Tokyo-1-1000.jpg

Tokyo-3-1000.jpg

Tokyo-4-1000.jpg

Tokyo-5-1000.jpg

Tokyo-6-1000.jpg

...then (30th September) transported to Kobe, a region that had suffered a massive earthquake earlier in 1995.

Tokyo-7-1000.jpg

Tokyo-8-1000.jpg

(Above infos and photos by Liko Tokuda, who ran the Japanese "Moonwalk" fanclub.)

In Kobe's "Port Pierland" amusement park, 21. December 1995:

kobe2.jpg

Di7-AM6-VX4-AAu-EOf.jpg

Last edited:

I think it was because it was meaning to the last album he release. i know he did samething with the dangerous album cover with his eyes being a target just like the Bad album. :)

it's hard to explain but i guess it was like some kind of universe all in one that represent him. :)

I agree with this. that was a great comeback. Michael knew what he was doing. :D

As to 'where are they now', there is a statue at 'Santarama Miniland' in Johannesburg, S Africa:

MICHAEL JACKSON HISTORY STATUE
151 Rossettenville Road, Johannesburg, 2190

One of the remaining HIStory promo statues of Michael Jackson stands in children’s park Santarama Miniland in Johannesburg, South Africa. The park was originally owned by South African National Tuberculosis Association (SANTA). After the completion of HIStory Tour in South Africa in 1997, Michael donated this promotional statue to SANTA to add to their park in order to help raise funds for tuberculosis sufferers. In 2012, local fans have restored the base of the statue and planted new grass around it.

https://theworldremembers.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/south-africa/

This one has had a bit of a repaint:

yCX0sSf.jpg

Last year (2019), one of the statues was put up for sale in Austria (article auto-translated from German):

Michael Jackson statue of the cult disco Baby `O

Anyone who has space for the 10 meter tall pop icon made of metal and plastic now has the opportunity to buy it. Franz Zika sells the Baby'O emblem in a bidding process via Facebook.

The Michael Jackson statue was created as part of the "History Tour" in England in 1995, it is one of nine copies worldwide that have been set up in public areas.

The figure originally stood at SCS in the Mödling district, Baby'O owner Franz Zika acquired it in 1998 through a live auction on the radio station Ö3. The proceeds of the telephone auction were then donated to the Red Cross Austria.

The transport to the Judenau disco was just as exciting as the stories that played safely at their feet. Since the Baby `O will be closed in July 2020, apartments are to be built on the site, the statue is now being sold. Anyone who is interested can contact Franz Zika by email:

Minimum price: 30,000 euros

https://www.noen.at/tulln/judenau-m...-michael-jackson-statue-franz-zika-164951770#

XYMTE0v.jpg

Yes, the Austrian one had a funny place there for over 20 years.

Google Maps still shows it there, but the image is probably not up to date.

Last edited:
There is a statue in Regensdorf, Switzerland. Someone told the reporter that there are '19 of these in the world', which is sadly not true- at least not this exact size and type. :

Swiss village erects 39ft Jackson statue

A giant plastic four-tonne statue of Michael Jackson, measuring 39 fett, has appeared in the village of Regensdorf in Switzerland.

AFP - A giant plastic statue of Michael Jackson has been unveiled in a village near the Swiss city of Zurich, ahead of a ceremony to pay homage to the late pop icon, an organiser said Friday.

The 12-metre (39 feet), four-tonne grey statue of the self-proclaimed King of Pop, with contrasting gold-coloured belts and straps, was installed on a lawn in the middle of Regensdorf.

"There are just 19 of them in the world and two in Europe," Andreas Grassman, who is organising the event, told AFP.

"We are organising a big party tonight and during the weekend to celebrate" the singer, he said.

The Swiss entrepreneur, who described himself as a big fan of Jackson, explained that that one of his friends had obtained the statue from Sony Music and used it on fairgrounds.

"We have spent the last five days restoring it completely," he added.

The organisers, who are expecting tens of thousands of fans, are preparing to sell roses and candles at the event.

They are also opening a book of condolence for visitors to sign.

"The event will be completely free and of course we will listen to Michael Jackson's music," Gassmann added.

https://www.france24.com/en/20090703-swiss-village-erects-39ft-jackson-statue-

This one has also had a bit of a paint job:

mhTN9sv.jpg

This looks like the same statue in 2010 in Geneva, at a rock concert / festival with fireworks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wiWBD2bYZw

Last edited:
And not forgetting the one at McDonalds in Best, Netherlands (which was removed after LN came out last year).

Near highway A2, between the cities 's Hertogenbosch and Eindhoven, you can find an eleven meter tall statue of Michael Jackson, the self-proclaimed King of Pop.

The 10 meter tall statue has been used for the cover of the Michael Jackson HIStory album. After the release it was sold to the McDonald? restaurant in the city of Best, where it (was) being used as an eye-catcher on the parking lot.

https://hotspotholland.nl/en/349/michael-jackson-statue-history

As it used to look, with fan tributes for June or August:

1RdGwUG.jpg

And when 3T visited during their documentary series:

Last edited:
The Swiss statue got to travel a lot.
It was first displayed at the Central Station in Zürich.

Assembled fresh out of the box, 20. June 1995:

Unveiled 23. June:

Report from http://www.jackson.ch/history-25-die-ereignisse-und-das-mega-album/

23. Juni 1995: Für die Promotion des neuen Albums reisten 10 grosse Statuen in Europa umher. Die Statue zeigt Michael in einer kämpferischen Pose, wie er auch auf dem Albumcover zu sehen ist. Einer dieser 10 Meter-Statute wurde in der Halle des Zürcher Hauptbahnhofes platziert. Am 23. Juni 1995 reiste eine Gruppe von sieben (damaligen) Teenagern aus der Ostschweiz nach Zürich. Die Aufregung war gross und der Zürcher Radiosender „Radio Z“ (heutiges Radio Energy) heizte die Stimmung mit einer Live-Übertragung auf. Um 14:30 Uhr wurde die bedeckte Statue begleitet von Michaels neuer Musik enthüllt. Die Fans zogen es vor, die Monumentalfigur als Denkmal und nicht Statue zu bezeichnen. Es herrschte eine aufgeregte und freudige Stimmung – als wäre Michael selbst in der Halle. Die beiden Fotos erschienen damals mit einem Bericht im Schweizer Fanclub-Magazin „Magic Michael.“

In 1997 Sony sold it to event organizer & airbrush artist James Münger. The statue stayed stored away for many years on the roof of a warehouse in Volketswil [source]. Then for a tribute after Michael's death (as myosotis posted above) it was repainted and installed in a park in Regensdorf (near Zurich) on 3rd July 2009:

[video=youtube;P6Q9IkvHe-Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Q9IkvHe-Y[/video]

The statue was then displayed at several music festivals, fairgrounds and other events.

La Chaux-de-Fonds (Switzerland) 20. March to 11th April 2010 [source]:

At the yearly fair in Ouchy, Lausanne (Switzerland) 12. Mai to 13. Juni 2010:

(anyone got photos showing more of the surroundings?)

Geneva Festival / fireworks show at Lake Geneva (Switzerland), 7th August 2010:

[video=youtube;6wiWBD2bYZw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wiWBD2bYZw[/video]

Then it travelled to Enschede (The Netherlands) for display at some strange exhibition about plastic surgery called "Beter Dan God" (Better Than God) from 30. September 2010 to 28. February 2011:

Last edited:
Does anyone have any info or photos from the statue in Paris (June 1995)?
Didn't find a single photo of it yet.
Apparently it was placed on the Champs-Élysées.

Back