Michael Jackson's 3rd show for Sultan of Brunei (New York, mid 1999)?

MJJExpert

Proud Member
Some years ago, a very trusted source (I've seen many, still, unreleased things at his home) told me Michael performed a "very private" show around mid of 1999 for Sultan of Brunei's son, maybe for a birthday, in New York. All was taped on VHS.

He didn't share any further details, but he said to me it was a show "in the way of a little performance around tables, during dinner". So Michael could have sang 2 or 3 songs "unplugged", maybe as he did on his mother's birthday. Nothing more, considering no MJ's crew was there (except, maybe, Omer Bhatti).

Rumor seems to be confirmed here:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12219919

"He paid Michael Jackson $25.8 million to perform at three concerts to mark the occasion".

What do you think? Maybe we can trace MJ's trips during 1998-1999 in order to locate, at least, one a probable date.
All together we can do some research.

Last edited:
This is the first I have heard of this. I'm aware there is footage floating around of a filmed HOB Speical in the mid 90s which was later shelved. I've not heard of any show from 1999.

Yes, I think it was shadowgames who talked about this some years ago. I dunno if he's a trustable source though. He said that there was another, very private show in Brunei.

Last edited:
The setlist should consist of songs like Billie Jean or Man In The Mirror because I cant imagine Michael singing Dangerous or Black Or White at an event like this

Are the first two concerts that the article talks about supposed to be the July 16 and December 31, 1996 shows?

Is there any precedent of MJ doing a private show like this? Apart from for his own mother of course, who I’m sure didn’t pay him tens of millions of dollars for it.

Anyway, if it is true, mid 1999 is around the same time as the short MJ and Friends tour. Maybe there is someone who was with him a lot around that time we could reach out to on Twitter that can confirm this?

I’d love for this to be true and to see possible footage, MJ’s live voice was a rarity around this time.

Thriller_MJ;4298043 said:
This is the first I have heard of this. I'm aware there is footage floating around of a filmed HOB Speical in the mid 90s which was later shelved. I've not heard of any show from 1999.

There exists footage of the HBO special? I thought MJ collapsed before filming could start?

Snek;4298073 said:
There exists footage of the HBO special? I thought MJ collapsed before filming could start?
Yeah the special sadly didn’t happen, but the rehearsals (with Michael) were filmed, and do exist, well, they did, until the tapes were lost

However, LaVelle published highlights of the rehearsals (Thriller, Bad, Dangerous) back in 2017 (which he showed at a larger quantity at his seminars), but without Michael as those took place after Michael collapsed, so rehearsals for the show with Michael are lost (not even the Estate may have them, but then again, I cannot exactly confirm that), albeit ones without Michael are in the possession of LaVelle

Ib2w271.jpg

5zVNrCr.jpg

MJJExpert;4298041 said:
Some years ago, a very trusted source (I've seen many, still, unreleased things at his home) told me Michael performed a "very private" show around mid of 1999 for Sultan of Brunei's son, maybe for a birthday, in New York. All was taped on VHS.

He didn't share any further details, but he said to me it was a show "in the way of a little performance around tables, during dinner". So Michael could have sang 2 or 3 songs "unplugged", maybe as he did on his mother's birthday. Nothing more, considering no MJ's crew was there (except, maybe, Omer Bhatti).

Rumor seems to be confirmed here:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12219919

"He paid Michael Jackson $25.8 million to perform at three concerts to mark the occasion".

What do you think? Maybe we can trace MJ's trips during 1998-1999 in order to locate, at least, one a probable date.
All together we can do some research.

The rumour that Michael Jackson performed a “very private” show around mid-1999 for Sultan of Brunei in New York is definitely not true.

These three, free concerts that Michael Jackson was paid in order to perform for Sultan of Brunei were all scheduled to take place at the Jerudong Park Amphitheatre (in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei), and none of them were “private shows in the way of a little performance around tables, during dinner”.

Also, Adrian Grant (in his ‘Michael Jackson: The Visual Documentary’ book, where he chronicles events from Michael Jackson’s life and career) does not mention that “very private” show around mid-1999 for Sultan of Brunei in New York.

If that “very private” show around mid-1999 for Sultan of Brunei had actually taken place, Adrian Grant would have mentioned it in the ‘1999’ timeline section of events in his book.

That clip of him singing for his mother was so good. I love the jazz instrumentation and relaxed atmosphere. He felt totally comfortable in this setting. I would have totally dug an album full of those tunes! Sounds classy and it would have gone well with music critics.

The closest thing we got to this was the song "smile".

Off-Topic.

But when i bought a bunch of VHS tapes.. like 80 tapes (there is a thread about it in the forum, but i resold the tapes) from a germany guy,
he told me he had the rehearsals of the Royal Brunei Show but he sold it already so i couldn't get it.
I don't see why this guy should lie.. so those rehearsals are out there in some fans hands.

mj_frenzy;4298143 said:
The rumour that Michael Jackson performed a “very private” show around mid-1999 for Sultan of Brunei in New York is definitely not true.

These three, free concerts that Michael Jackson was paid in order to perform for Sultan of Brunei were all scheduled to take place at the Jerudong Park Amphitheatre (in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei), and none of them were “private shows in the way of a little performance around tables, during dinner”.

Also, Adrian Grant (in his ‘Michael Jackson: The Visual Documentary’ book, where he chronicles events from Michael Jackson’s life and career) does not mention that “very private” show around mid-1999 for Sultan of Brunei in New York.

If that “very private” show around mid-1999 for Sultan of Brunei had actually taken place, Adrian Grant would have mentioned it in the ‘1999’ timeline section of events in his book.

Adrian Grant is a very trusted source BUT he can't assume to know all what happened in MJ's life.

Hulkamaniac;4298049 said:
Yes, I think it was shadowgames who talked about this some years ago. I dunno if he's a trustable source though. He said that there was another, very private show in Brunei.

That's the point. Thank you. I can confirm my source is NOT shadowgames and he never talked to him.
But it's interesting this rumor was circulating all over...that's why I'm asking your support to find out something more.

p.s. Brunei Royal show rehearsals could have been recorded (many photos were shot and published on MJJMagazine)

MJJExpert, why didn't this "trustable source" impart anymore information to you about this "private show"? Like, if they hold valuable info about it, info that can prove or dispel this rumor, why not share it with you? I understand the "extra privacy" of this "private show", thus your source would have hesitation to share information about it, but then again, they have pretty much acknowledged its existence, nearly compromising the privacy of this " very private show" now that we know about it. That's where my doubt emerges. Also, why would Michael perform for the Sultan's son in the USA? I don't know the geographic location of Brunei, but I have never heard of such a city, country, or state being in the USA. Was his son vacationing in the USA? Was the whole family there? Why would they be there? Additionally, I will assume that photos should have been taken if it was recorded onto VHS, though why have none of these photos leaked, or even just a little clip of this show? Again, I know this was a "very private" show, but realize that this Michael Jackson we're talking about. At this point in 1999, Michael had almost no privacy from the media and the world (expressed in the song "Privacy" on the Invincible album, right?), so I think we would know much more about this "private show", no matter how much Michael tried to keep it a secret. I mean come on, New York is quite a colossal city, and if Michael Jackson pops up, people will flock, and later, may account that experience, none I have heard yet. Wasn't Michael also working on the Invincible album at this time?

Many questions here, alongside my dubiety, about this whole "private show".

MJJExpert;4298241 said:
Adrian Grant is a very trusted source BUT he can't assume to know all what happened in MJ's life.

Adrian Grant would have included in his book that "very private" show (for the Sultan of Brunei in 1999) if it had had happened.

I mean, he included in his book far less important events from Michael Jackson’s life and career.

Michael Jackson visited indeed New York (Manhattan) around mid-1999, but he did that only for one very specific purpose: to attend a private screening of ‘The Matrix’ film (starring Keanu Reeves) because he desperately wanted to watch that science fiction action film.

Serious Effect;4298257 said:
Also, why would Michael perform for the Sultan's son in the USA? I don't know the geographic location of Brunei, but I have never heard of such a city, country, or state being in the USA. Was his son vacationing in the USA? Was the whole family there? Why would they be there?

Michael Jackson did not perform for the Sultan’s son in the USA in 1999.

mj_frenzy;4298304 said:
Michael Jackson did not perform for the Sultan’s son in the USA in 1999.
According to MJJExpert, mentioned in the first paragraph of their post, this "private show" was held not for the Sultan of Brunei, as were the two in 1996, but for his son, in New York, which is a country in the USA, in 1999. But yeah, I am doubtful.

MJJExpert, why didn't this "trustable source" impart anymore information to you about this "private show"? Like, if they hold valuable info about it, info that can prove or dispel this rumor, why not share it with you? I understand the "extra privacy" of this "private show", thus your source would have hesitation to share information about it, but then again, they have pretty much acknowledged its existence, nearly compromising the privacy of this " very private show" now that we know about it. That's where my doubt emerges. Also, why would Michael perform for the Sultan's son in the USA? I don't know the geographic location of Brunei, but I have never heard of such a city, country, or state being in the USA. Was his son vacationing in the USA? Was the whole family there? Why would they be there? Additionally, I will assume that photos should have been taken if it was recorded onto VHS, though why have none of these photos leaked, or even just a little clip of this show? Again, I know this was a "very private" show, but realize that this Michael Jackson we're talking about. At this point in 1999, Michael had almost no privacy from the media and the world (expressed in the song "Privacy" on the Invincible album, right?), so I think we would know much more about this "private show", no matter how much Michael tried to keep it a secret. I mean come on, New York is quite a colossal city, and if Michael Jackson pops up, people will flock, and later, may account that experience, none I have heard yet. Wasn't Michael also working on the Invincible album at this time?

Many questions here, alongside my dubiety, about this whole "private show".

Back in time, I've tried to ask more to my source, but he didn't give me any further details.
He described me the show as an "intimate" performance, like something happened in a private mega-suite room in NY, for an audience of 30-40 people.
Maybe all related to the Sultan and its private guests. That's why we have not get any photos or videos (but, for sure, my source has a VHS and, maybe, he's silent about this, trying to re-sell or exchange it...).
Do not imagine it as a "show" with stage, lights, band, costumes etc... it's highly likely a performance with someone at the piano with Michael "sitting at the table for dinner, than standing up and humming a couple of his ballads". This is how it was described to me.

I hope we, all together, can put all pieces into the puzzle ;)

This sounds like no show I've ever heard of or watched. Does this source actually have it on tape? Makes me wonder who it is :rolleyes:

Back in time, I've tried to ask more to my source, but he didn't give me any further details.
He described me the show as an "intimate" performance, like something happened in a private mega-suite room in NY, for an audience of 30-40 people.
Maybe all related to the Sultan and its private guests. That's why we have not get any photos or videos (but, for sure, my source has a VHS and, maybe, he's silent about this, trying to re-sell or exchange it...).
Do not imagine it as a "show" with stage, lights, band, costumes etc... it's highly likely a performance with someone at the piano with Michael "sitting at the table for dinner, than standing up and humming a couple of his ballads". This is how it was described to me.

I hope we, all together, can put all pieces into the puzzle ;)
Ok, so at one point you were (or are) in contact with this source, who provided details that are somewhat understandable yet somewhat baffling and mysteriously has a tape of this event (they are re-selling it? so he purchased the tape initially?). Did you ever try to, you know, ask them more about this tape of interest? I am intrigued by the notion of someone having one of the rarest shows on tape, though not at least proving the existence of that show when they can. I know an (unwelcome) audience could flock to him or her once they learn of his or her possession of this rare show on tape and can vex him or her about it to the extent where he or she just vanishes unknowingly (hasn't something like this happened before), albeit the source could just share clips or images from the show itself before letting the tape go (that may piss people off, and rightfully, but at least they will know the show actually exists and the tape is legit).

I just don't know about all of this.

Ok, so at one point you were (or are) in contact with this source, who provided details that are somewhat understandable yet somewhat baffling and mysteriously has a tape of this event (they are re-selling it? so he purchased the tape initially?). Did you ever try to, you know, ask them more about this tape of interest? I am intrigued by the notion of someone having one of the rarest shows on tape, though not at least proving the existence of that show when they can. I know an (unwelcome) audience could flock to him or her once they learn of his or her possession of this rare show on tape and can vex him or her about it to the extent where he or she just vanishes unknowingly (hasn't something like this happened before), albeit the source could just share clips or images from the show itself before letting the tape go (that may piss people off, and rightfully, but at least they will know the show actually exists and the tape is legit).

I just don't know about all of this.

You are right, but this is all what I have get from him throughout the years. I can't ask more, simply because he won't give me further details (and I've already tried, many times...).
I assume he's keeping this ultra rare item very private (I've see A LOT of unreleased things at his home, but not this item)
in order to exchange/sell it at the right time. I don't know.
Someone should contact Shadowgames and ask him from where did he heard about 3rd Brunei.
As I know, my source and Shadowgames (who are not the same person and never get in touch in the years) are the only 2 person who ever talked about this show until today.

According to MJJExpert, mentioned in the first paragraph of their post, this "private show" was held not for the Sultan of Brunei, as were the two in 1996, but for his son, in New York, which is a country in the USA, in 1999. But yeah, I am doubtful.

New York is a STATE in the USA...and a city. Not a country. mj_frenzy said the Sultan's son, not the Sultan, so I'm not sure why you're correcting his post???

New York is a STATE in the USA...and a city. Not a country. mj_frenzy said the Sultan's son, not the Sultan, so I'm not sure why you're correcting his post???
Yeah you're right, New York is a city-state. Thanks for the correction.

As for the second point, I "corrected" MJJExpert (not mj_frenzy) because the title of this thread reads: "Michael Jackson's 3rd show for Sultan of Brunei" rather than mentioning that it was held for the son. But that is then mentioned in MJJExpert's post that started this thread, and furthermore, they have also mentioned in a post later on that the audience may have consisted of more than just him, so I don't know, I'm perplexed still.

I just noticed that....

Crown Prince Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah[1] (born February 17, 1974) is the eldest son of Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah and his wife Queen Saleha binti Mohammad Alam. He is the Crown Prince of Brunei Darussalam and is first in the line of succession to the Bruneian throne.

On 1999, he was 25. A big event to be celebrated by the King of Pop? Someone knows where Michael was on 17the February 1999?

Michael attended to a "Brunei family" birthday some years after (see image below)...

001.jpg

MJJExpert;4299614 said:
Someone knows where Michael was on 17the February 1999?[/U]

He was at Neverland on February 13th 1999...I’m not sure where he was on the 17th though.

a2a7b6e0cb55673b30567f09b5f9f248.jpg

dethorro;4299641 said:
He was at Neverland on February 13th 1999...I’m not sure where he was on the 17th though.

a2a7b6e0cb55673b30567f09b5f9f248.jpg

LOL, what a mess. :laughing:
Cute. :)

I just found a clue!

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/styl...-jackson-was-paid-us17-million-perform-sultan

"The two weeks of festivities featured a host of events across the country, including a special polo match, the famous Michael Jackson concert – free for all attendees – and a sumptuous dinner party where 3,000 of the sultan’s most distinguished guests enjoyed free-flowing champagne and caviar and were entertained at a smaller, private concert by the King of Pop himself."

So probably, that's the "private" show I was told to.
Maybe it's stored in the Brunei's family vault...

MJJExpert;4310473 said:
I just found a clue!

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/styl...-jackson-was-paid-us17-million-perform-sultan

"The two weeks of festivities featured a host of events across the country, including a special polo match, the famous Michael Jackson concert – free for all attendees – and a sumptuous dinner party where 3,000 of the sultan’s most distinguished guests enjoyed free-flowing champagne and caviar and were entertained at a smaller, private concert by the King of Pop himself."

So probably, that's the "private" show I was told to.
Maybe it's stored in the Brunei's family vault...
This is just talking about the 1996 show.

This is just talking about the 1996 show.

Not correct, they are referring to a 2nd "concert", held during the private dinner after the Royal Concert (16th July 1996).
So this could be the "3rd" Brunei show, yet to be leaked and rumored years ago from my source.

^ I guess this private show may have happened after all. Was it really filmed though? If it was private, I doubt there would be cameras in the room

^ I guess this private show may have happened after all. Was it really filmed though? If it was private, I doubt there would be cameras in the room

In my opinion, all was filmed by Sultan's crew. ;)

Back