Any fans who only like MJ's work pre bad album?

JichaelMackson

Proud Member
This forum has made it clear that most fans are not too fond of the Motown period but I was wondering if the opposite exists too. So I mean fans who love everything he did up until bad but are not a fan of the music he did after bad or after thriller or even everything he did after Motown.

You hear it a lot with casual fans or critics. They love MJ's work till for example the bad album but dislike everything that follows.
Do we have people here that relate to this? If yes can you explain why?

PS for the record, I'm not one of those, I love all era's equally.

The casual fans you speak of are just following what the critics dictate regards Michael and it had more to do with their attitude towards him than anything to do with his musical output.

You seem very concerned with the white rock press, the artists the white rock press fawn over, and the ensuing white rock press' audience. I wouldn't worry about it, Michael will never be treated fairly by that lot.

But to get back on topic, I love all eras too. But I gravitate most towards the period of his solo career where he had the most creative control and acknowledged himself and the world he lived in most explicitly - so Bad to HIStory.

This forum has made it clear that most fans are not too fond of the Motown period but I was wondering if the opposite exists too. So I mean fans who love everything he did up until bad but are not a fan of the music he did after bad or after thriller or even everything he did after Motown.

You hear it a lot with casual fans or critics. They love MJ's work till for example the bad album but dislike everything that follows.

PS for the record, I'm not one of those, I love all era's equally.

I have never come across a casual fan that dislike MJ's output post Bad. Maybe some causal fans are not aware of all the songs on his subsequent albums after Bad but many, if not all, casual fans that I have ever come across listens to songs like Black or White, Remember The Time, They Don't Care About Us, You Are Not Alone, Earth Song, You Rock My World etc.

Last edited:
I've never heard a fan saying they don't like Michael's work post Bad. Dangerous is the most beloved album amongst fans I would say.

Anyway, Thriller is overrated, Bad and Off The Wall are better than Thriller. Yep, I said it.

I've never heard a fan saying they don't like Michael's work post Bad. Dangerous is the most beloved album amongst fans I would say.

Anyway, Thriller is overrated, Bad and Off The Wall are better than Thriller. Yep, I said it.

I'm sure if Bad achieved what Thriller achieved people would have said the same thing. Or if it was Off The Wall or any other album. That's almost always what happens when something gets extremely popular.

I'm sure if Bad achieved what Thriller achieved people would have said the same thing. Or if it was Off The Wall or any other album. That's almost always what happens when something gets extremely popular.

I agree! The exact same thing happened with The Beatles Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. For the longest time, it was seen as the greatest album of all time by most critics and now they say that Revolver is better.

There are 2 members here where I think that they don't like MJ post thriller. Which is totally ok, I just want to know if they exist :p

The casual fans you speak of are just following what the critics dictate regards Michael and it had more to do with their attitude towards him than anything to do with his musical output.

You seem very concerned with the white rock press, the artists the white rock press fawn over, and the ensuing white rock press' audience. I wouldn't worry about it, Michael will never be treated fairly by that lot.

But to get back on topic, I love all eras too. But I gravitate most towards the period of his solo career where he had the most creative control and acknowledged himself and the world he lived in most explicitly - so Bad to HIStory.

I'm not concerned by it but it is the leading opinion I read about. I guess most critics are whites (and thus prefer rock music over black music). I'm all for reading diverse opinions and see all time lists produced by black or Asian people or polls conducted in Africa etc but I simply don't know about them.

My initial thought when starting this thread was more in the lines of how the old Motown fans like or dislike the later day MJ music because it sounds so different to what he did in the 70s. It wouldn't surprise me that a scores of people simply didn't like the musical direction MJ took throughout the 80s or 90s. Old school people that only like soul and funk for example.

I know for example a guy who is crazy about Elvis Presley. But only to a certain point in his career. He loved the rock n roll music he did but he didn't like his gospel music or his 70s music. But still he was a crazy Elvis fan that even copied his hairstyle despite not enjoying a large portion of his career.

Last edited:
I really only like his work from 1991 to prior. Not saying there aren't a few classics that were made after that time period though. His albums were more spotty after Dangerous.

That's not my case, I like MJ's work until HIStory... BOTDF and Invincible were quite disappointing, but there are a bunch of songs from those eras not so bad

I like Thriller and Bad becuz, i like the magic those produced for me. I prefer his fashion statements in those as well. :blush::laughing:

I kind of like all MJ eras. but my favorites has to be the thriller and bad era. same with my mom she like off the wall and thriller era. but we both love all eras.

Wait, are we discussing pre-Bad era, or post-Bad era? Pre-Bad is mentioned in the title, but both seem to be taken into account in this thread.

JichaelMackson;4298154 said:

Part of the reason for that has to do with the fact that many casual fans or critics do not like the change of his musical style (after the ‘BAD’ album) which started to deviate from his black, soulful Motown musical roots in favour of a more commercial, pop sound.

Also, many of them do not like his music (after the ‘BAD’ album) because it started to adopt a more street sound with a hip-hop orientation.

They also believe that he should have continued working with Quincy Jones because, according to them, that producer was mainly responsible for these three albums (‘Off The Wall’, ‘Thriller’, ‘BAD’) that constitute Michael Jackson's best work ever.

Also, there are some casual fans, and especially critics, who have very serious doubts about his innocence, so they disapprove of the lyrical content of the ‘HIStory’ album where Michael Jackson through the lyrics of that album protests his innocence.

mj_frenzy;4298316 said:
Part of the reason for that has to do with the fact that many casual fans or critics do not like the change of his musical style (after the ‘BAD’ album) which started to deviate from his black, soulful Motown musical roots in favour of a more commercial, pop sound.

Dangerous is ''more black'' than Bad. That's a fact! Bad is a pop album, while Dangerous incorporates New Jack Swing, R'n'B, Hip-Hop and Pop.

Dangerous is ''more black'' than Bad. That's a fact! Bad is a pop album, while Dangerous incorporates New Jack Swing, R'n'B, Hip-Hop and Pop.

Absolutely. Bad is the most commercial pop album he ever made.

Let's get this straight, the OP was not asking if people prefer the motown and quincy albums over his later albums. He straight up asked if there are people that dislike his later albums. Dislike is a strong word to use. That's why I said that I have never encountered a fan that straight up dislike his later work. Preference is normal though.

I love all of it! From the Jackson 5, right through to Invincible. The genre, in my mind is Michael Jackson; not pop, soul, R & B, New Jack Swing, funk, grunge, rap, etc. I have always felt as though he is his own genre....I am serious in saying that... and thus, I ENJOY the twists, turns and growth that the entire genre portrays, from start to finish.

Great discussion going on here, though.

Carry on. :)

I say Hate is much stronger word then dislike. dislike is more polite and respectful then hate in my opinion.... but that's just me.

i agree with Mikky michael was more then an pop artist he was different genres. but sadly people view as a pop artist that's how he got his nickname the king of pop. in my opinion the king of music would be a much better nickname. honestly michael never really cared for nicknames he just made music for all of us to enjoy.

you gonna find more fans who like michael after thriller more than anything. i guess because he became more worldwidely follow by he did tours solo etc. or maybe just because i'm a thriller and bad era fan.

i know who michael was before he became an adult solo artist so i'm not putting down that i just prefer everything after that.

it's depends what your taste are. but like i said i like all eras of michael but i'm more of thriller and bad era fan.

Ok since this thread is still active I'm going ahead with a name "83magic" I have a feeling this member doesn't like MJ's music post thriller. I conclude this after reading several of his posts (I'm not stalking him though :p ). I also have a feeling member "duranduran" greatly prefers MJ's older music.

So if you guys read this , perhaps you can chime in to confirm that those kind of fans exist or you can come in to say I am totally mistaken, it's all good :)

PS if I'm right it's totally ok, this is not an attack of any kind lol:-D

83magic likes anything before bad. i don't know about duranduran. there are people who likes michael before bad. but you don't see many of them like i said before. i think more of the younger/or newer fans like anything after bad.

i guess it just what your taste are.

my post history is available for all to see. my opinions on the matter have already been stated. there is no sense in repeating myself. besides, my username says it all. i tend to focus on what i like, rather than what i dislike. we're all entitled to our preferences.

Back