Thread: The Hurt - The Jacksons - Victory album

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

Default The Hurt - The Jacksons - Victory album

Michael has writing credits on this song which opens up the question. How likely is the existence of a version with Michael as the lead singer? His falsetto would sound awesome on this song. Michael or no Michael I love the track anyway.

Michael's involvement on the Victory album is not that small when you think of it. 3 songs with writing and composing credits (the hurt, state of shock, be not always), one other duet (torture) and one song featuring ad libs (wait)

This is like The Beatles' white album where every group member has the chance to shine and for me it works. It's a tremendous album imo

Tito Jacksons contribution "we can change the world" is another great one, keeping up with the earlier visited themes of The Jacksons (and later Michael solo)

I love the songs so much in fact that I wouldn't have minded the Victory tour to be full of these songs despite Michael not being the lead singer!

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,071 Posts

Default Fab 4

Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    This is like The Beatles' white album where every group member has the chance to shine and for me it works.
    George & Ringo has at least 1 lead vocal song on every Beatles album (well maybe not Ringo on all of the USA versions of the albums). They weren't writing at first though.

Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,130 Times in 2,251 Posts

Default Re: The Hurt - The Jacksons - Victory album

Amazing song! BG vocals reminds me of Hollywood Tonight. Classic MJ track. I hope his demo exists in some form as we all know how he composed and wrote music.

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

If the Victory Tour was full of songs from the ‘Victory’ album, that would have made the Victory Tour a disaster.

Let’s face it: the ‘Victory’ album has only two good songs, that is ‘Torture’ and ‘State Of Shock’, which also explains why these two songs had such a big success when they were released as singles.

It was a missed opportunity that the ‘State Of Shock’ single did not come out with an accompanying music video.

All the other songs from that album are immediately forgettable and very mediocre songs (including the third and fourth single, ‘Body’ and ‘Wait’, that both failed completely to chart).

It is highly unlikely that a version of the ‘The Hurt’ song with Michael Jackson as the lead singer exists.

Also, I would prefer Janet Jackson’s cover version of the ‘One More Chance’ song (some years later) to the original version of the song from the ‘Victory’ album.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,024 Times in 2,063 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    If the Victory Tour was full of songs from the ‘Victory’ album, that would have made the Victory Tour a disaster.

[B]Let’s face it: the ‘Victory’ album has only two good songs, that is ‘Torture’ and ‘State Of Shock’, which also explains why these two songs had such a big success when they were released as singles.

It was a missed opportunity that the ‘State Of Shock’ single did not come out with an accompanying music video.

All the other songs from that album are immediately forgettable and very mediocre songs (including the third and fourth single, ‘Body’ and ‘Wait’, that both failed completely to chart).

It is highly unlikely that a version of the ‘The Hurt’ song with Michael Jackson as the lead singer exists.

Also, I would prefer Janet Jackson’s cover version of the ‘One More Chance’ song (some years later) to the original version of the song from the ‘Victory’ album.
    Speak for yourself partner. It might not be my favorite Jacksons album but I like many of the songs from Victory.

Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,130 Times in 2,251 Posts

Wait was not a single. Body was 3rd and final single from the album. I disagree that State of Shock and Torture are only two good songs on the album. State of Shock is obviosly amazing but I don't like Torture at all. In my opinion both The Hurt and One More Chance are much better songs than Torture. Even Wait is better but is stuck in the 80s too much because of its classic 80s synths and instrumentation. The only good thing about Torture is second verse when Michael starts singing.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I think it is their best album after Destiny. I totally love the 80s sound on it and it doesn't have a weak point to me. Maybe this feeling is enhanced as it was one of my earliest bought records.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,024 Times in 2,063 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JichaelMackson View Post
    I think it is their best album after Destiny. I totally love the 80s sound on it and it doesn't have a weak point to me. Maybe this feeling is enhanced as it was one of my earliest bought records.
    You think Victory is better than Triumph?

Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

The Hurt is great, but you can feel it's not complete, I don't know how to explain. Wasn't there some posts explaining that the whole LP has been released in a rush and, therefore, songs were not completely finished? I could be wrong though.

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 839 Posts

I totally forgot about this album.... i guess you can say the victory album is the hurt album. i'm okay with old school sounds. to me it give you old school feelings and i love those feelings.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    You think Victory is better than Triumph?
    I tend to listen to it more regularly than to Triumph. It's pretty close overall. I have a great love for all Jacksons albums under Epic. It is the start of the independent adult Michael Jackson in 1976, it is pretty much the real start of his solo career with even more vocals coming from Michael and of course lots of writing credits. The two albums under the wings of Gamble & Huff are delicious as well.

My most played group albums are definitely Destiny, the Jacksons and victory

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 640 Posts

Let’s face it: the ‘Victory’ album has only two good songs, that is ‘Torture’ and ‘State Of Shock’, which also explains why these two songs had such a big success when they were released as singles.

There is a certain arrogance about the way that you post that I just don't like. It is your opinion that Victory only has two good songs. It isn't a fact, just your opinion that many disagree with.

In my opinion, the good songs on Victory are Torture, One More Chance, Be Not Always, Wait, The Hurt and Body. I don't even think State of Shock is good. The Freddie Mercury version would have been good, but Mick Jagger is very average imo and he ruins the song for me. Michael would have been better off doing the song with one of his brothers.

I love Janet's version of One More Chance too but Randy's version is better in my opinion, as he is a better singer.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nite Line For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 470 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OnirMJ View Post
    Wait was not a single. Body was 3rd and final single from the album.
    "Wait" was a single (to some limited extent) in 1985 after "Body" but not released in the US, only UK, Canada and Brazil.
    https://www.discogs.com/master/view/160680

The single version sounds a little different to the album version (additional guitar slap bass and some other synths etc):

album version:

Wrong. "Body" chart peaks:

#47 USA Billboard Hot 100
    #39 USA Billboard Hot Black Singles
    #73 USA Billboard Hot Dance Club Play
    #94 UK Top 100
    Last edited by Electro; Yesterday at 02:59 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Electro For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I love The Hurt. Sometimes I get into a zone where I just have to repeat it a couple times. It gives me a total Who Is It vibe (and I wouldn't be surprised if there's something to that). Obviously would love to hear Michael on it, too.

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michael555 View Post
    The Hurt is great, but you can feel it's not complete, I don't know how to explain. Wasn't there some posts explaining that the whole LP has been released in a rush and, therefore, songs were not completely finished? I could be wrong though.
    The songs were completely finished and properly mixed when they were included on the ‘Victory’ album.

Then, the plan was the ‘Victory’ album to get its release in March (1984), but the album's release was shelved for some months later and until sales of the ‘Thriller’ album began to decrease.

In other words, the record company did not want to harm the sales of the ‘Thriller’ album while the ‘Thriller’ album was still selling a lot, so the record company delayed intentionally the release of the 'Victory' album.

Eventually, the ‘Victory’ album was released four months later (in July) when sales of the ‘Thriller’ album did begin to fall off.

The delay of the release of the ‘Victory’ album (by four months) was a strictly business move on the part of the record company.