Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Michael Jackson wanted the role of Professor Xavier in X-Men and met with producers in 1999

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 2,091 Posts

Default Article: Michael Jackson wanted the role of Professor Xavier in X-Men and met with producers in 1999

The film X-Men came out exactly 20 years ago this month, and with that anniversary comes the revelation of a bizarre bit of backstory behind the superhero film.

As seen in an expose in The Hollywood Reporter on Friday, it turns out that Michael Jackson had set his sights on portraying the bald, wheelchair-bound Professor Charles Xavier in the film, which came out on July 14th, 2000.

Apparently, the King Of Pop went so far as to schedule a meeting with controversial director Bryan Singer and the film's producers at the time, for which he had prepared an elaborate presentation.

'I said to him, "Do you know Xavier is an older white guy?"' producer Lauren Shuler Donner recalled of the curious encounter in the spring of 1999.
    'And Michael said, "Oh yeah. You know, I can wear makeup." During the meeting, for which MJ wore 'sunglasses and refus[ed] to shake hands,' he presented his 1997 short film Ghosts, in which 'the pop star morphed into a 60-something white mayor railing against a well-meaning performer who entertains local children with magic tricks.'

The THR piece confirms that Twentieth Century Fox, the studio behind X-Men, 'never seriously considered Jackson for the role,' ultimately giving it to Star Trek alum Patrick Stewart for what would become another hallmark role in the Englishman's career.

What's more, 'Michael was already in the thick of all his allegations by X-Men,' a former executive also recalled.

Regardless of those long-debated sexual misconduct claims, it was true that Jackson had an affinity for children, developing his Neverland ranch north of Santa Barbara, California as a veritable wonderland for kids. Perhaps it was for that reason that the role of Professor X, who runs Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters for wayward mutant youth, appealed to Michael.

Stewart, meanwhile, went on to portray the powerful mutant telepath in at least three more films, before an earlier iteration of the character was brought to life in subsequent films by James McAvoy.

X-Men, which was both a critical and box-office hit back in 2000, came out before the formation of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as it is known today, however the film was a groundbreaking in its portrayal of mutants as misunderstood misfits of society.

The X-Men franchise has spawned a total of 12 films grossing over $6 billion worldwide.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ducers-it.html

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Article: Michael Jackson wanted the role of Professor Xavier in X-Men and met with producers in

Apparently, this is connected to Michael Jackson’s desire to buy the rights to the Marvel Comics in the ‘90s.

He believed that if he bought them, then it would be easier for him to play not only the Spider-Man character but also the Professor Charles Xavier character from the X-Men.

Spider-Man and the X-Men were owned by the Marvel Comics at that time.

I do not believe that Michael Jackson refused to shake hands at that meeting in 1999 (as the producer Lauren Shuler recalls) because Michael Jackson went there because he wanted to get a job (to get that specific role), so refusing to shake hands on his part on such an occasion certainly would not help him to get the job.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Article: Michael Jackson wanted the role of Professor Xavier in X-Men and met with producers in

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Apparently, this is connected to Michael Jackson’s desire to buy the rights to the Marvel Comics in the ‘90s.

He believed that if he bought them, then it would be easier for him to play not only the Spider-Man character but also the Professor Charles Xavier character from the X-Men.

Spider-Man and the X-Men were owned by the Marvel Comics at that time.

I do not believe that Michael Jackson refused to shake hands at that meeting in 1999 (as the producer Lauren Shuler recalls) because Michael Jackson went there because he wanted to get a job (to get that specific role), so refusing to shake hands on his part on such an occasion certainly would not help him to get the job.
    I don't believe that either.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 534 Posts

Spiderman was ridiculous enough, but Professor X too... Big yikes.

Also, on a mod note: There's plenty of non tabloid reports of this story. When posting articles please try and avoid using tabloids. And the Daily Fail is one of the worst we have over here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

HILARIOUS
    I guess when you're used to no one ever telling you "no" you believe you can do absolutely anything

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 940 Posts

???? i don't get it can someone explain this to me please?

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    ???? i don't get it can someone explain this to me please?
    Professor Xavier is an iconic character from the X-Men comics which were adapted into a blockbuster film series. Professor Xavier is old, bald and white. So according to this story — assuming it's true, but after the Spiderman thing I wouldn't be surprised — Michael wanted to play an old, bald, white man in a major motion picture franchise. Apparently in his mind this was a reasonable and realistic prospect...

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Professor Xavier is an iconic character from the X-Men comics which were adapted into a blockbuster film series. Professor Xavier is old, bald and white. So according to this story — assuming it's true, but after the Spiderman thing I wouldn't be surprised — Michael wanted to play an old, bald, white man in a major motion picture franchise. Apparently in his mind this was a reasonable and realistic prospect...
    Spider Man COULD have worked if they went for a Batman Beyond-like story where he's an older Peter Parker that needed to retire and pass the torch, but that's not the story they went with (and a good call, too; the origin story was the best route for Spidey's first big movie). Not sure what Michael was thinking wanting to play Xavier (assuming if this story is even true); probably just child-like naivety.
    "Let's not be alone again. Will you be my partner? I hear a dance starting up. Come."

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

I agree with amaya. spiderman would have been a better choice for him in my opinion. this was 1999. michael was in his 40's? i mean maybe.... if he was healthy enough for his age. i try not to judge people. it could of work out. i don't know.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amaya View Post
    Spider Man COULD have worked if they went for a Batman Beyond-like story where he's an older Peter Parker that needed to retire and pass the torch, but that's not the story they went with (and a good call, too; the origin story was the best route for Spidey's first big movie). Not sure what Michael was thinking wanting to play Xavier (assuming if this story is even true); probably just child-like naivety.
    It could have worked in the early 80s, maybe. After that I don't think Michael Jackson starring in Hollywood blockbuster film franchises is realistic in the slightest.

Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,678 Times in 1,107 Posts

Default E a p

I remember a story that Mike wanted to play Edgar Allan Poe in a biopic. This was in the late 1980s or in the 1990s, don't remember exactly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: E a p

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    I remember a story that Mike wanted to play Edgar Allan Poe in a biopic. This was in the late 1980s or in the 1990s, don't remember exactly.
    1990's. I remember it clearly

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Michaels Lover For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

He also want it to play James Bond.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    He also want it to play James Bond.
    If this is true then this doesn’t sit right with me.
    At least for Xavier you could use different examples where white comic book characters has been played by people of color like Nick Fury by Samuel L Jackson,Aquaman by Jason Momoa, Sue Storm by Jessica Alba or Johnny Storm played by Michael B Jordan. But Michael persistently pushing to play major white characters doesn’t sit too well with me.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,483 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    If this is true then this doesn’t sit right with me.
    At least for Xavier you could use different examples where white comic book characters has been played by people of color like Nick Fury by Samuel L Jackson,Aquaman by Jason Momoa, Sue Storm by Jessica Alba or Johnny Storm played by Michael B Jordan. But Michael persistently pushing to play major white characters doesn’t sit too well with me.
    Due to the power structures in the entertainment business, the majority of interesting roles in films are unfortunately written as white characters. Roles that are specifically written for Black people are often still stereotypes. Why should MJ limit himself in that way?

If Doctor Who can be a woman, then James Bond can be Black. That’s progress.

That said, I think the Bond thing was only a rumor.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post: