Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,483 Posts

Default Hyperbaric Chamber & Elephant Man Bones

In this thread, let’s try to find evidence whether or not MJ (or his camp) has really planted those stories in the media, as often claimed.

Please post actual evidence, no matter which side you are on. No claim or quote without source.

I wasn’t able to find any credible source to support those claims so far. Quite the contrary, actually.

On Geraldo’s show in 1993, shortly after the Oprah special, a representative from the National Enquirer (who first ran the story) claimed that MJ’s camp had “leaked” the hyperbaric chamber photo to the media, and that it came with the explicit instruction to call it “bizarre”. So far, so good. But then the story goes into overdrive:

He claims they first received a polaroid of such a poor quality that they couldn’t print it, so MJ went back and took a better photo.

A couple of problems here:

• A tabloid receives a “bizarre” photo of MJ directly from his PR team (as he claims) and what they do is call them back and wait for them to re-shoot the photo in better quality? Instead of slapping it on the front page right away? Risking that somebody else runs the story first? How likely is that?

• If MJ’s camp wanted to plant the story, why would they send them a poor quality photo in the first place? We can safely assume that they were aware of the minimum quality a photo has to have to be printable. Also, tabloids usually don’t care about the quality of photos. They print the blurriest crap if it’s just sensational enough.

• Why didn’t the tabloid guy bring that first photo, the polaroid, to the show as proof? Or the accompanying letter from MJ’s camp that explains what it is and that they should call it “bizarre”? He could have easily shown those items live on TV if they existed.

In my opinion, this is a typical example of someone adding wild details to their story to sell a lie.

Here’s the full show. They discuss this topic right in the beginning:

Discuss.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,757 Times in 1,788 Posts

Default Re: Hyperbaric Chamber & Elephant Man Bones

^ The Brotman Burn Centre had a hyperbaric chamber. It was used to aid healing of burns. It's possible that MJ either 'tried it out for size' and / or had treatment in it.

(MJ was treated for scalp burns at the Brotman centre, and donated his Pepsi compensation to the centre afterwards, when it was renamed the 'Michael Jackson Burn Centre').

Since 1965, HBO therapy has been suggested to improve outcomes in thermal burns after it was observed to heal second-degree burns faster in a group of coal miners being treated for carbon monoxide therapy. The skin adjacent to second and third-degree burns is more hypoxic than normal skin, and continued studies have shown that hypoxic tissue surrounding the burn site can be returned to normal oxygen levels with oxygen administration under pressure. It has shown to decrease edema through vasoconstriction and preserve microcirculation and enhance oxygen delivery by a direct osmotic effect. HBO also aids in deactivation of white cell adhesion.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK470524/

Hoefflin is mentioned in the clip. He did MJ's scalp skin graft, according to Wiki. (There are certainly pics of Hoefflin in the Burn Centre with MJ).

This is Dr Hoefflin with MJ and the HBO (!!) chamber:

There are at least two poses of MJ in the chamber, with his arms by his side and with his head resting on his bent arm. It's unlikely these pics. came from anywhere 'unofficial'. Maybe Hoefflin thought the pics. might help to publicise the clinic??
    Last edited by myosotis; 07-08-2020 at 04:56 PM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to myosotis For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

OK, so the photo was definitely taken in that room at Brotman Burn Center. Same era, different shirt, though.

Is it possible that MJ donated the device?

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myosotis View Post
    There are at least two poses of MJ in the chamber, with his arms by his side and with his head resting on his bent arm. It's unlikely these pics. came from anywhere 'unofficial'. Maybe Hoefflin thought the pics. might help to publicise the clinic??
    MJ had the habit of having photos taken of pretty much everything he did. My guess is, that it was really just a leak. Back in those days, you had to have photos developed, and there are many ways a picture might leak on its trip to and from the photo lab.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,757 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    OK, so the photo was definitely taken in that room at Brotman Burn Center. Same era, different shirt, though.

Is it possible that MJ donated the device?
    Possible but unlikely. MJ's 'Pepsi' compensation amounted to about $500k, and I believe all of that was for 'the patients' (ie things to entertain them or make them more comfortable), not for 'the treatment'.

It's possible MJ donated (the money for) the big TV over the HBO machine. I can imagine him thinking that patients would appreciate watching Disney cartoons while they were being treated.

I don't think it would be worth any photo developing co. to 'leak' photos. Firstly Hoefflin's name is mentioned in the film clip, so he likely arranged for the photos to be both taken and given to the press, and secondly MJ seemed to have a contract with a photo developing firm which delivered prints directly to Hayvenhurst (where his fan club etc. was initially based). I'm sure he'd have been furious at any unauthorised leaks. he never seemed 'furious' at the HBO machine photos.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to myosotis For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myosotis View Post
    Possible but unlikely. MJ's 'Pepsi' compensation amounted to about $500k, and I believe all of that was for 'the patients' (ie things to entertain them or make them more comfortable), not for 'the treatment'.

It's possible MJ donated (the money for) the big TV over the HBO machine. I can imagine him thinking that patients would appreciate watching Disney cartoons while they were being treated.

I don't think it would be worth any photo developing co. to 'leak' photos. Firstly Hoefflin's name is mentioned in the film clip, so he likely arranged for the photos to be both taken and given to the press, and secondly MJ seemed to have a contract with a photo developing firm which delivered prints directly to Hayvenhurst (where his fan club etc. was initially based). I'm sure he'd have been furious at any unauthorised leaks. he never seemed 'furious' at the HBO machine photos.

OK, all of this makes a lot of sense. Although I’m not 100% sure how that Pepsi money was spent. In the back of my mind I recall something about medical equipment, but I don’t have a source right now. Will look for it.

So, I think we can agree that these are not unauthorized photos.

The question remains, how did they end up in the National Enquirer? I think the video I posted casts enough doubt on the Enquirer’s story to conclude that this is not exactly how it happened.

I would really like to hear from the people on here who believe that MJ planted the story and see their sources.

And by the way, does anyone have a scan of the original National Enquirer article from back then? I don’t think I’ve seen it.
    Last edited by ScreenOrigami; 07-08-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

The Desert Sun reports on December 15th, 1984 that MJ announced the „Michael Jackson Burn Fund, which will finance reconstructive surgery and entertainment for burn victims. Both the center and the fund were endowed by Jackson, with a contribution from Pepsi-Cola Co.“

So, according to this, it looks like the money went partly into a fund for medical and patient entertainment purposes, and partly to the center itself. I think the total amount was $1.5 million. So, it might well be that some of the money went into medical equipment, and MJ visited to check it out.

This of course doesn’t explain how the “bizarre” story landed in the tabloids, I’m just posting this for context.

EDIT: Here’s a similar article from the United Press Service archives:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/12...8547471762000/

“Dr. Donald Bernstein, the hospital's administrator, said the center will be aided by a fund started with money the entertainer has donated to the hospital.

Bernstein declined to disclose the amount Jackson donated.

Money from the fund will pay for education, research and reconstructive surgery on the center's burn patients.”
    Last edited by ScreenOrigami; 07-08-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 533 Posts

Frank Dileo apparently planted several stories for Michael. I don't know who the original source for that information is, but it would be a bit strange, not to mention needlessly risky, for Taraborrelli to directly name Frank if it wasn't true. It's not exactly a secret that Michael liked to manipulate the press with odd behaviour.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Frank Dileo apparently planted several stories for Michael. I don't know who the original source for that information is, but it would be a bit strange, not to mention needlessly risky, for Taraborrelli to directly name Frank if it wasn't true. It's not exactly a secret that Michael liked to manipulate the press with odd behaviour.
    That’s one of the versions I heard. But this thread is only about collecting facts and actual sources.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

Wouldn't at all be surprised if his party leaked it. Michael was always playing games with the press. Shouldn't have started that in the first place but, it is what it is.
    Not a fact obviously but, I had read somewhere that he leaked it for the soul purpose of Captain EO?

But anyways, National Enquirer? If they told me the sky was blue, I'd double check

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MOR316 View Post
    Wouldn't at all be surprised if his party leaked it. Michael was always playing games with the press. Shouldn't have started that in the first place but, it is what it is.
    Not a fact obviously but, I had read somewhere that he leaked it for the soul purpose of Captain EO?

But anyways, National Enquirer? If they told me the sky was blue, I'd double check
    This is not a speculation thread, please only post with credible quotes and sources.

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 533 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    That’s one of the versions I heard. But this thread is only about collecting facts and actual sources.
    Taraborrelli is a source, whether you like him or not.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Taraborrelli is a source, whether you like him or not.
    I don’t have his book, so why don’t you just provide the source so we can analyze it?

The actual passage where he talks about it.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

So Michael or his manager MAYBE leaked 2 stories way back in the eighties for publicity of Captian EO (standard PR practice) and hence Michael has always liked manipulating the media and he kickstarted his own dehumanization by the media. Is that the argument?

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 940 Posts

I heard the oxygen chamber was for a promotion for captain eo and that it was actually for his head due the pepsi accident to make his head heal faster because his lupus made things on his body heal longer then usual.

the media made it seem he want it to be forever "young" and not "grow old." see? the media twisted to make it seem something that it wasn't. smh.

Michael did plant some stories but not all of them. he did it to make fun of the media while it was funny and a nice comeback it wasn't a good idea. it did more harm to him than good. so he kind of did it to himself.

but not all stories was plant from him. like example the elephant man bones. michael want it the bones to make a remake of movie not how the media portray like he was wired.

michael putting bandages on his face was him just doing it for media attention to think he was crazy etc. this may not be enough to understand. but i hope i explained enough to anyone to understand.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.