It looks like 3D version of the Munich 1997 concert was made years ago

Galactus123

Proud Member
Donations
$18.00
I think this deserves its own thread. Damien Shields said few days ago on Twitter that the 3D version of the Munich 1997 concert was made in 2014 but they haven't released it:
https://twitter.com/damienshields/status/1291848664395026432

"A 3D version was made more than 6 years ago using those HD Munich ‘97 tapes. I saw a demo of it in 2014 and, in my opinion, it looks incredible. The depth of the stage, the lighting, the audience, etc. It‘s quite beautiful. And Michael looks like he’s right there in front of you."

"The way I saw and heard it, it looked and sounded phenomenal. It was definitely played on a surround sound system. But I don’t know the technical details of what went into the mixing process, or who did what. I just experienced the final product and it was wonderful."

"At the time I remember remarking that it wasn’t shot for shot the same. I didn’t see the entire concert, but what I did see appeared to have used different shots and angles. Some were the same, and some different. I can’t recall with certainty about the audio."

"The 3D element makes it really spectacular. It looks so good. He’s not as his peak and he’s mostly not singing live, but it almost doesn’t matter when you add the 3D element to the experience. Perhaps it could be a cinema-only release. Experience it properly, and that’s it."

Converting concerts to 3D isn't cheap so I wonder why they haven't released it?

Last edited:
I couldn't care less about a HWT release...
Maybe the reason they didn't released it is that they actually noticed too late that the majority of the fans not really care about that tour..

Who even cares about 3D anymore? And besides we don’t need an official release of History tour, especially the Munich concert when it’s available on youtube.

Being able to see this concert in 3D would be so amazing :D It would make a cinema release worth it because I’m sure we’ve all seen the 2D version itself many times. A 3D MJ concert is something I didn’t even know I wanted to see until now!

Although as much as I love the HIStory Tour, the vocals on this concert are very rough. I’d probably cringe in the cinema listening to WBSS and the various ad-libs with Michael’s croaky vocals in the company of people who maybe aren’t as accepting as me. I believe they should dub the vocals with a better sounding concert if possible, perhaps Copenhagen or Gothenburg.

That’s if this ever sees the light of day at all. I’m frustrated that this was never released but if the hard work has already been done converting it then why wait to release it? (apart from the obvious COVID-19 restrictions)

Snek;4300476 said:
Being able to see this concert in 3D would be so amazing :D It would make a cinema release worth it because I’m sure we’ve all seen the 2D version itself many times. A 3D MJ concert is something I didn’t even know I wanted to see until now!

This. If you had asked me what I wanted to see, a 3D concert wouldn’t have come to my mind, and even if it had, it wouldn’t have been high priority. But if it already exists, let me see it! :D

3D cinema always gives me headaches, but this would be worth it. :)

Yeah this would be really cool, if it was done right.

Snek;4300476 said:

Although as much as I love the HIStory Tour, the vocals on this concert are very rough. I’d probably cringe in the cinema listening to WBSS and the various ad-libs with Michael’s croaky vocals in the company of people who maybe aren’t as accepting as me. I believe they should dub the vocals with a better sounding concert if possible, perhaps Copenhagen or Gothenburg.

That’s if this ever sees the light of day at all. I’m frustrated that this was never released but if the hard work has already been done converting it then why wait to release it? (apart from the obvious COVID-19 restrictions)

I would cringe because of the playback. I'm not sure if this should be released in cinemas. Blu-Ray release would be ok at some point.

I have a few 3D concerts on Blu-Ray and they're really nice in 3D (and 5.1 surround sound adds a lot as well).

I would love to see this released on Blu-Ray.

How come Damien saw the demo in 2014 but is only now talking about it? Or has this been a topic back then already?

Galactus123;4300494 said:
Maybe he wasn't allowed to talk about it back then.

That’s what I thought also. But why would that have changed now? I’m not trying to suggest anything, I’m just curious, trying to make sense of such developments. :)

When you need to make a boring playback concert 3D so it looks interesting lol

If the estate was disappointed in BAD25 sales, they will be even more with this for several reasons.

1. 3D is dead
2. As Damien said MJ was past his prime and sounded poor the few times he wasn't using playback.
3. Nobody is going to movie theatres (especially right now)
4. MJ himself wasn't happy with it in 2D
5. Waste of $$

Im not against a history tour release, just not munich and not in 3D lol. Package a "best of" concert with History 25 or something and include rehearsals.

ScreenOrigami;4300496 said:
That’s what I thought also. But why would that have changed now? I’m not trying to suggest anything, I’m just curious, trying to make sense of such developments. :)

It could be that he felt like he could talk about now years later because the release didn't happen.

Galactus123;4300503 said:
It could be that he felt like he could talk about now years later because the release didn't happen.

That sounds very likely.

Any idea what he means by “demo”? I read it as he didn’t see the entire thing. In my field, a “demo” or “tech demo” often refers to a proof-of-concept demonstration of what a technology can achieve. So maybe it’s just that someone approached the Estate with the suggestion to do a 3D concert and showed them a sample, but they turned it down?

I’m struggling with the idea that they did the entire thing and then shelved it. :D

ScreenOrigami;4300504 said:
That sounds very likely.

Any idea what he means by “demo”? I read it as he didn’t see the entire thing. In my field, a “demo” or “tech demo” often refers to a proof-of-concept demonstration of what a technology can achieve. So maybe it’s just that someone approached the Estate with the suggestion to do a 3D concert and showed them a sample, but they turned it down?

I’m struggling with the idea that they did the entire thing and then shelved it. :D
Now that I think about it, it probably was not finished at all and was dismissed, possibly for the Xscape project. Also, they did do Thriller 3D three years ago. That project could have taken its place

Putting this concert in 3D isn't going to make Michael's performance any better. The HIStory Tour does have it's good moments, but unfortunately Munich isn't one of them.

analogue;4300508 said:
Putting this concert in 3D isn't going to make Michael's performance any better. The HIStory Tour does have it's good moments, but unfortunately Munich isn't one of them.

Well, non fans who did see the concert in my inner circle were mesmerized by this show. Even till this day, no other artist could match this kind of spectacle. The history tour was awesome, especially if you’ve experienced it live. In my case, Amsterdam 1997.

It was amazing.

Look, no one's saying that the History tour is crap, if I have had the chance to see MJ live (I wasn't born until '97), I wouldn't have given a shit if he did playback during the entire show. Thing is, the History tour is NOT something that should be released. Watching something in person is a complete different experience than watching a video.

IMWhizzle;4300514 said:
Well, non fans who did see the concert in my inner circle were mesmerized by this show. Even till this day, no other artist could match this kind of spectacle.

Agreed. I only saw it on TV, back in 2009 – at least I believe from what I know now that it was the Munich show – and I enjoyed it very much. :)

Look, no one's saying that the History tour is crap, if I have had the chance to see MJ live (I wasn't born until '97), I wouldn't have given a shit if he did playback during the entire show. Thing is, the History tour is NOT something that should be released. Watching something in person is a complete different experience than watching a video.
4ZfMMP2.png

There is more value in releasing a high quality BWT show than a HWT show, an ok one at that, despite the quality, that has already been seen countless times in 3D, so Bad Tour HD > HIStory Tour Munich 3D. A 3D concert would be strange to watch anyway

There is more value in releasing a high quality BWT show than a HWT show, an ok one at that, despite the quality, that has already been seen countless times in 3D, so Bad Tour HD > HIStory Tour Munich 3D. A 3D concert would be strange to watch anyway
Imagine angles of Michael's behind or crotch right in your face...I bet some would not mind that enthralling experience.

IMWhizzle;4300514 said:
Well, non fans who did see the concert in my inner circle were mesmerized by this show. Even till this day, no other artist could match this kind of spectacle. The history tour was awesome, especially if you’ve experienced it live. In my case, Amsterdam 1997.

It was amazing.

Did they know about the lip-syncing? I have a feeling that most people wouldn't be impressed if they knew about it before watching.

Last edited:

You didn't need to be at the Bad and Dangerous tours to see how fantastic those shows were. You could already see how phenomenal they were just by watching videos of those shows.

So the whole ''You needed to be at the HIStory Tour'' to appreciate it has always been a weak argument, in my opinion. Because you didn't need to be at any of Mike's previous tours to appreciate those.

And that's not to say I hate the HIStory Tour. It's my least favourite but I still watch and enjoy it from time to time. I just don't think it's wise to give it an official release.

Back