Which covers MJ sang do you like better than the original version?

JichaelMackson

Proud Member
For this we have to look at the Motown period mostly as he didn't really record covers once he left Motown.

One that I cannot resist is "la la means I love you". Originally by the Delfonics. Imo Michael brings grittiness with his version. I love both versions though but Michael's vocals make the difference for me.

Another one is "with a child's heart" originally by Stevie Wonder. Michael's version is slower and he brings a lot of emotion to the song. It is almost as if he wrote it himself.

Then there is the Stevie Wonder classic "don't know why I love you". Michael sang it too both live as on the album "ABC and I don't particularly like it better than Wonder's version but it is absolutely equal in quality. Michael was a world class vocalist as a kid and he really can't get enough credit for that.

Michael's version of Come Together is better than the original in my opinion.

I agree with you, Michael's version has a heavier rock sound that the original Beatles version.

Also, IMO, "Smile" cover is more powerful and richer than Nat King Cole's version.

Agreed. I'm not the biggest fan of Come Together, but Michael's version gave the song more flair and life. Beatles version is so lifeless and boring.

One that I cannot resist is "la la means I love you". Originally by the Delfonics. Imo Michael brings grittiness with his version. I love both versions though but Michael's vocals make the difference for me.

I love it and it's my favorite too! Also Prince did a cover of that song and it sounds very nice.

I’ve heard “Come Together” from The Beatles (original) and Aerosmith. But Michael’s cover tops it all in my book.

Jackson 5 - who' loving you

Michael Jackson - ain't no sunshine

both based on vocals and arrangements. he had no business singing either of these songs, as they were way too mature for his age. what's amazing is that he sung it as if he lived it. with more emotion than the original singers.

Michael Jackson - rockin robin
this was more suitable. fit him like a glove :)

the jacksons - blame it on the boogie
not sure this counts as a 'cover' as such, but this is the definitive version for me :) actually makes me want to dance :rockingstickman: it's a disco song, yet the lyrics are anti disco. interesting contrast. I love the harmonies from the brothers, and Michael gives a spirited performance. a real group effort. probably my favourite jacksons song.

Ain't No Sunshine, Come Together, Smile, With A Child's Heart and of course Who's Lovin' You

Little Mike was the king of covers

Come Together. Michael took what was (IMO) a dull and boring song and made it awesome

I really love Michael’s cover of You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me, which is a song by the Miracles. It was released on an album “Farewell My Summer Love” which is an extremely underrated album.

I like Michael's version of Come Together also! He should have performed it live like he did in the Moonwalker film.

Back