Morphine called Just Say No (Malaysia release) also censored on the CD?

djvernon

Proud Member
I think most of you will know that Morphine is called Just Say No on the Malaysian album of BOTDF.
But is there anyone who has ever listened to it?
Is the song itself also censored ???

IMG_6720.jpg

I actually never knew this. I assume some of the lyrics would be altered for this version considering that the name, an interesting choice of a name at that, is different. But yeah, I wanna hear it too.

I have heard of songs being censored or tweaked in other countries, but never the title. "Just Say No" is a strange song title, yet it works for this song. Random, but "Throwing Your Life Away" has the title as a continuous lyric ("Don't you find it so easy to just say no? Just say no" on repeat).

Dedicated fan for over 25 years and I only found out about this last year! lol

My copy from Malaysia arrived last month funnily enough

I never knew that. It makes me curious whether or not Michael knew about that, and came up with the title himself. Or was it just some executives in Malaysia who decided on this?

Is Malaysia the only country that changed the title Morphine?

I actually never knew this...

I wonder why it was changed in Malaysia... I mean... Morphine is an addictive drug. - no sh#% Sherlock - but that's the case in every country in the world - so why only Malaysia changed it??

Did Malaysia have big problems with people being addicted to Morphine in 1997? Seems very weird to change the title. - I guess the lyrics are the same so MJ still sings Morphine.

Piek;4302418 said:
I never knew that. It makes me curious whether or not Michael knew about that, and came up with the title himself. Or was it just some executives in Malaysia who decided on this?

Is Malaysia the only country that changed the title Morphine?

Hess;4302430 said:
I actually never knew this...

I wonder why it was changed in Malaysia... I mean... Morphine is an addictive drug. - no sh#% Sherlock - but that's the case in every country in the world - so why only Malaysia changed it??

Did Malaysia have big problems with people being addicted to Morphine in 1997? Seems very weird to change the title. - I guess the lyrics are the same so MJ still sings Morphine.

Malaysia was not the only country that changed the title ‘Morphine’ to ‘Just Say No’.

This change happened also on other countries as well that are located in East/Southeast Asia, and Michael Jackson not only knew about that but he was also the one who came up with the alternative ‘Just Say No’ title.

Parenthetically, Michael Jackson years ago was also the one who came up with the symbolism of the three letters of the ‘BAD’ song title, which symbolize and refer to the ‘Be Against Drugs’ phrase.

These East/Southeast Asian countries are extremely strict when it comes to drug matters, they have stringent drug laws, and also they tend to censor a lot in art (films, music, etc).

Actually, just the possession of drugs (in these countries) constitutes such a serious crime that leads to death penalty (capital punishment).

mj_frenzy;4302508 said:
Malaysia was not the only country that changed the title ‘Morphine’ to ‘Just Say No’.

This change happened also on other countries as well that are located in East/Southeast Asia, and Michael Jackson not only knew about that but he was also the one who came up with the alternative ‘Just Say No’ title.

Stop making things up! Malaysia was the ONLY country to change the title to "Just Say No".

And given that it's such a far away small country I think it's unlikely that Michael knew about it.
But if so, prove your claim.

The only other country that censored it was South Korea. They completely took the song off the album.

R-4484496-1369397824-2419-jpeg.jpg

R-14776790-1581369948-7515-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Electro;4302514 said:
Malaysia was the ONLY country to change the title to "Just Say No".

Probably pure coincidence, but the title “Just Say No” was also used for Michael’s Flintstone Kids episode. :D

Michael Jackson and the Flintstone Kids ('Just Say No'-campaign)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9Ih4tBBiPTc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back