A Compilation Of All Non-Album Tracks?

mjjcn1432

Proud Member
Hey guys, I was listening to the song Bad Boy from the Beatles' compilation Past Masters when an idea suddenly came to my mind that how come the Estate have never released a compilation full of hard-to-find, non-album tracks, especially when they claim there is not enough material to make a full length album and the fans are longing for a proper release?
I believe, a certain amount of non-album tracks are not familiar to certain fans. For instance, Shout, which is exclusively featured on Cry single, Mind Is The Magic, which is the theme song for Siegfried & Roy show in Las Vegas and Can't Get Outta The Rain, which is a re-recorded and remixed part 2 of You Can't Win and previously appeared on Billie Jean and The Girl Is Mine singles.
In order to get hold of all Michael's released tracks, fans have to pay a pricey amount to acquire some rare items, so why not just released a compilation with all rare solo tracks? It's not just a greatest hits compilation to grab money, but a supplement to Michael's repertoire and allow casual fans to have a deeper understading of the King Of Pop's music, also a niche collector's item to most die-hard fans.
I'm sure fans will like the idea, if the Estate are to pick right songs, leave no stones unturned, design decent artwork and throw some proper promotions. Gosh, I wish I can have that kind of compilation right away!

Here's my selection of songs:

Disc 1
01 Twenty-Five Miles [Original Mix]
02 Little Christmas Tree
03 Ease On Down The Road [7' Single Mix]
04 You Can't Win
05 Can't Get Outta The Rain
06 Sunset Driver [Demo]
07 Someone In The Dark [Single Version]
08 Carousel [Full Version]
09 Got The Hots
10 Scared Of The Moon [Demo]
11 Say Say Say [2015 Remix]
12 We Are The World [Demo]
13 This Is It [Orchestra Version]
14 We Are Here To Change The World
15 Cheater [Demo]
16 Fly Away
17 Streetwalker
18 Planet Earth [Poem]

01 Don't Be Messin' 'Round
02 I'm So Blue
03 Song Groove (A.K.A. Abortion Papers)
04 Free
05 Price Of Fame
06 Al Capone
07 Someone Put Your Hand Out
08 For All Time
09 Monkey Business
10 Mind Is The Magic [The Original Version Of The Siegfried & Roy Show]
11 On The Line
12 In The Back
13 Fall Again [Demo]
14 Beautiful Girl [Demo]
15 We've Had Enough
16 Shout
17 One More Chance

What's your take on this? :D

I have said before that the Scream album could have been so much better if it had a setlist of less common tracks on it. I believe that compilation albums have the advantage of giving less common songs, like the ones on your list, more attention. That's why I was initially hyped for the Scream album until I listened to the setlist. The Estate has the goal of appealing to more people and expanding the fanbase, especially with the Scream album, but they missed with the song list. It had the potential, but it just failed.

I have said before that the Scream album could have been so much better if it had a setlist of less common tracks on it. I believe that compilation albums have the advantage of giving less common songs, like the ones on your list, more attention. That's why I was initially hyped for the Scream album until I listened to the setlist. The Estate has the goal of appealing to more people and expanding the fanbase, especially with the Scream album, but they missed with the song list. It had the potential, but it just failed.
I agree about the benefit of compilation albums. It's a hit or miss with them because the setlists can be splendid or suck big time. For Scream, though, it was a bit in the middle due to the inclusion of some Halloween songs on it, but the exclusion of some less mainstream tracks. There are indeed songs that more people need to hear!

The ‘Scream’ compilation album has serious issues that also affect its sales.

It is marketed as a Halloween-themed album when in fact nearly half of the included songs have nothing to do with that theme.

Also, a big question on the lips of many fans is why ‘Is It Scary’ (as a complete track) was not included on the album, which is a song that would have perfectly fitted the album’s Halloween theme.

Additionally, another issue with that album is that it refers mainly to America, because outside the American territory Halloween is not really a popular tradition (in Europe, for example, most people do not really care about Halloween) which automatically means fewer sales of that album outside America.

Also, it is an album that aims at a limited audience that only wants to listen to his dark songs, which again automatically means fewer sales of that album in general.

mj_frenzy;4302018 said:

It is marketed as a Halloween-themed album when in fact nearly half of the included songs have nothing to do with that theme.

Also, a big question on the lips of many fans is why ‘Is It Scary’ (as a complete track) was not included on the album, which is a song that would have perfectly fitted the album’s Halloween theme.

Additionally, another issue with that album is that it refers mainly to America, because outside the American territory Halloween is not really a popular tradition (in Europe, for example, most people do not really care about Halloween) which automatically means fewer sales of that album outside America.

Also, it is an album that aims at a limited audience that only wants to listen to his dark songs, which again automatically means fewer sales of that album in general.
That’s what I’m saying man. Songs like Heartbreak Hotel, Leave Me Alone, Scream, Unbreakable, and even Dirty Dirty (maybe) should not have been on the album. Is It Scary, Mind Is The Magic, and maybe even Morphine could have replaced some of these tracks.

Although, I don’t think the America or limited audience part matters. I am pretty sure people would care less if the album is “American” because remember that this is an album of Michael Jackson music, which is popular globally, including Europe. Who cares if it is Halloween-themed? It is all about MJ and his music, even if dark. Also, the album was released in celebration of the Halloween season and other events going on at the time such as the Thriller 3D screening and that animated Halloween cartoon. I don’t think the audience was exclusive to those who were attracted to his dark songs.

To tell you the truth, when Scream went for sale in my country (China) for limited 829 copies, it only sold about 110 copies the first month, and almost a year and half later, which is now, Scream hasn't sold out. Considering Michael's fanbase in China, this is a total disaster. The Estate should've chosen the materials more wisely :(

Hey guys, I was listening to the song Bad Boy from the Beatles' compilation Past Masters when an idea suddenly came to my mind that how come the Estate have never released a compilation full of hard-to-find, non-album tracks, especially when they claim there is not enough material to make a full length album and the fans are longing for a proper release?
I believe, a certain amount of non-album tracks are not familiar to certain fans. For instance, Shout, which is exclusively featured on Cry single, Mind Is The Magic, which is the theme song for Siegfried & Roy show in Las Vegas and Can't Get Outta The Rain, which is a re-recorded and remixed part 2 of You Can't Win and previously appeared on Billie Jean and The Girl Is Mine singles.
In order to get hold of all Michael's released tracks, fans have to pay a pricey amount to acquire some rare items, so why not just released a compilation with all rare solo tracks? It's not just a greatest hits compilation to grab money, but a supplement to Michael's repertoire and allow casual fans to have a deeper understading of the King Of Pop's music, also a niche collector's item to most die-hard fans.
I'm sure fans will like the idea, if the Estate are to pick right songs, leave no stones unturned, design decent artwork and throw some proper promotions. Gosh, I wish I can have that kind of compilation right away!

Here's my selection of songs:

Disc 1
01 Twenty-Five Miles [Original Mix]
02 Little Christmas Tree
03 Ease On Down The Road [7' Single Mix]
04 You Can't Win
05 Can't Get Outta The Rain
06 Sunset Driver [Demo]
07 Someone In The Dark [Single Version]
08 Carousel [Full Version]
09 Got The Hots
10 Scared Of The Moon [Demo]
11 Say Say Say [2015 Remix]
12 We Are The World [Demo]
13 This Is It [Orchestra Version]
14 We Are Here To Change The World
15 Cheater [Demo]
16 Fly Away
17 Streetwalker
18 Planet Earth [Poem]

01 Don't Be Messin' 'Round
02 I'm So Blue
03 Song Groove (A.K.A. Abortion Papers)
04 Free
05 Price Of Fame
06 Al Capone
07 Someone Put Your Hand Out
08 For All Time
09 Monkey Business
10 Mind Is The Magic [The Original Version Of The Siegfried & Roy Show]
11 On The Line
12 In The Back
13 Fall Again [Demo]
14 Beautiful Girl [Demo]
15 We've Had Enough
16 Shout
17 One More Chance

What's your take on this? :D

I already have most/all of these, in one form or another. Many are on the 2004 Ultimate Collection. I would have thought that most fans would have them already; however, a compilation, so that they're all in the one place for new/casual fans is a good idea.

mj_frenzy;4302018 said:

It was a great shame that "Is It Scary" wasn't on the album....that song is a gem that NEEDS greater recognition and exposure.

mj_frenzy;4302018 said:

That's not true, we like Halloween in the UK. We just don't take it to the extreme that they do in the US.

mj_frenzy;4302018 said:

"Serious issues" once again only with your perspective.

You're implying massive success / sales expectations, that noone ever had for this release. If, as you pretend to understand, the aim was to target a specific limited audience "that only wants to listen to his dark songs", then the estate and Sony can't have had as high sales expectations as with a "Michael Jackson Number Ones" compilation.

I'm not a fan of the estate, but this was a nice little concept compilation, made to pull occasional Halloween-Thriller fans a little deeper into Michael world. And for those type of buyers it doesn't matter to have a few songs in between, not 100% fitting lyrically to the concept. "Is It Scary" would have fit on there as well, okay. But it's not like they included "Rockin Robin" instead. :D

Last edited:
While not something I was particularly interested in I thought Scream worked as a good companion compilation of deeper cuts for those casual fans the had bought the This Is It CD when Michael passed. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that there’s only one song (Thriller) that appears on both those compilations. But back on topic, I’m in favour off anything that allows fans to get harder to find songs at an affordable price.

I dont even count "scream" as an album...more of a joke. Making mix cds throught my teen years....thats all this was & horrible list. Its like someone asked to make them a mixed cd with mj songs & thats exactly what they did & photoshopped a wierd photo. This is exactly why mj went in another direction after thriller...why put out the same content twice. Dont get me wrong....ghost exist but its totally different from thriller & wasnt going for the same thing.

i hated the scream compilation.

its just another weak attempt to release something useless with already known material.
the estate is just too lazy to do anything special and they dont want to release new stuff.

give me unreleased songs and i wont complain.

Back