What was with the out of place fight during ABC at the 30th?

Hudson112

Proud Member
I know it was planned and rehearsed but I don’t get why they wrote that in the show to begin with.

Hudson112;4302499 said:
I know it was planned and rehearsed but I don’t get why they wrote that in the show to begin with.

It's a James-Brown style bit of banter, like when Slash pretended to refuse to leave the stage at the 95 Grammys, or when the Jacksons would argue with MJ about doing the old Motown songs back when they toured together. It's meant to be fun and humanizing to see the brothers pretend-argue. At the 30th anniversary show, the bit didn't come off quite right because MJ's face was unexpressive on that night, kind of ruining the desired impression, which is that it was in good fun.

It's a James-Brown style bit of banter, like when Slash pretended to refuse to leave the stage at the 95 Grammys, or when the Jacksons would argue with MJ about doing the old Motown songs back when they toured together. It's meant to be fun and humanizing to see the brothers pretend-argue. At the 30th anniversary show, the bit didn't come off quite right because MJ's face was unexpressive on that night, kind of ruining the desired impression, which is that it was in good fun.

I Have to agree with the OP. In all those instances you mentioned the disruption had a purpose. In 95 Slash shreds with the solo and keeps on going. That's why the faux interruption is engaging. When they did the Triumph tour the disruption was because they wanted to play the new songs with MJ finally conceding "Ok I'll do it for you not for them" which was hilarious and engaging. But what was the purpose of the disruption in the 30th anniverary? It really served no purpose and could very well be taken the wrong way imo. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I reckon the Jackson brothers just aimed for a humorous part of the show that may not have been that humorous as it could have been. Considering the "grand" complexion surrounding these 30th Anniversary shows, and the nearly 20-year gap between these shows and the 1984 Victory Tour, perhaps it was intended in a way to give that medley more "flair" than necessary. They thought it would be a fun little addition to the concert, but I guess it has rubbed people the wrong way.

I Have to agree with the OP. In all those instances you mentioned the disruption had a purpose. In 95 Slash shreds with the solo and keeps on going. That's why the faux interruption is engaging. When they did the Triumph tour the disruption was because they wanted to play the new songs with MJ finally conceding "Ok I'll do it for you not for them" which was hilarious and engaging. But what was the purpose of the disruption in the 30th anniverary? It really served no purpose and could very well be taken the wrong way imo. Just my two cents.

On top of that, there's already an instance of that sort of fun banter in the show -- just before "I Want You Back," when they're all going through what song they should do next. Michael suggests "Never Can Say Goodbye" (I think) and Jermaine suggests "Let's Get Serious."

The whole "ABC" thing was insanely out of place and came off like a legitimate confrontation.

Reading your comments I had to go and rewatch this.
But it's way more harmless than you guys make it sound. :D

To better understand this:

Randy shouts that 'You down with O.P.P.' from the Naughty by Nature song 'O.P.P.'
that sampled bits of 'ABC' and became a US hit in 1991.

According to wikipedia:

"Its declaration, 'Down With O.P.P', was a popular catchphrase in the U.S. in the early-1990s."

"Its lyrics concern sexual infidelity, with 'O.P.P.' standing for 'other people's pussy',
'other people's penis', and (euphemistically) 'other people's property'. "

So it's basically Randy dropping something naughty in this innocent 'ABC' performance...
and Michael playing to be not down with it. :D

Last edited:
Reading your comments I had to go and rewatch this.
But it's way more harmless than you guys make it sound. :D

To better understand this:

Randy shouts that 'You down with O.P.P.' from the Naughty by Nature song 'O.P.P.'
that sampled bits of 'ABC' and became a US hit in 1991.

According to wikipedia:

"Its declaration, 'Down With O.P.P', was a popular catchphrase in the U.S. in the early-1990s."

"Its lyrics concern sexual infidelity, with 'O.P.P.' standing for 'other people's pussy',
'other people's penis', and (euphemistically) 'other people's property'. "

So it's basically Randy dropping something naughty in this innocent 'ABC' performance...
and Michael playing to be not down with it. :D

Oh okay. Sure that may been the intention but it didn't come across that way at all lol

I always thought it was bit of a light-hearted fun and banter between siblings.

I remember there was a moment (Only seen in amateur footage) where Michael was talking to the audience and Randy says something, and Michael said ''Do NOT interrupt me!'' - That sounded serious and Michael really sounded annoyed.

The Jacksons did some other fake, pre-planned on stage things when they were performing in the past.

Such as, the audience’s on stage, pre-planned entering and the subsequent cop’s on stage, pre-planned entering (the scenario said that the cop had to enter the stage in order to remove people from there).

That fake incident took place during their ‘Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)’ performance at the American Bandstand in 1979.

[video=youtube;k3pBg29n4fU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3pBg29n4fU[/video]

In the end, no one was removed and they all danced to the song's music, even the cop.

In other instances, The Jacksons also paid fans to enter the stage while they were performing (such as, during the Triumph Tour where fans were actually paid in order to do that and thus to add some more drama to the overall performance).

Back