Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

   
  1. #1
    Points: 9,541, Level: 65
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida, United States
    Posts
    172
    Points
    9,541
    Level
    65
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 153 Times in 47 Posts

    Default What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    Without coming off as an "obsessed fan"?

    I was at a store earlier this week with a friend of mine who I have known for a few years. We were thumbing through the selection of vinyl albums they had and he came across a copy of MJ's Invincible album, and then he said something to the effect of "He was a talented musician but a horrible person". He didn't go into detail about any specific accuser or allegation, but mentioned something about "having shown pornography to children" and said that he is able to get away with more and buy his way out of legal issues because of his race, which struck me as kind of an odd thing to say as it generally tends to be the other way around.

    I know some people are set in their beliefs and I don't really want to stir up negativity with this person, but it was clear to me that they weren't very well educated about the facts of MJ's trials and it seems to me that this person likes his music and believes him to be talented but his perception of him is clouded by tabloid bullcrap and false media reports.

  2. #2
    Points: 8,580, Level: 62
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,689
    Points
    8,580
    Level
    62
    Thanks
    2,208
    Thanked 2,839 Times in 1,483 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Without coming off as an "obsessed fan"?

    I was at a store earlier this week with a friend of mine who I have known for a few years. We were thumbing through the selection of vinyl albums they had and he came across a copy of MJ's Invincible album, and then he said something to the effect of "He was a talented musician but a horrible person". He didn't go into detail about any specific accuser or allegation, but mentioned something about "having shown pornography to children" and said that he is able to get away with more and buy his way out of legal issues because of his race, which struck me as kind of an odd thing to say as it generally tends to be the other way around.

    I know some people are set in their beliefs and I don't really want to stir up negativity with this person, but it was clear to me that they weren't very well educated about the facts of MJ's trials and it seems to me that this person likes his music and believes him to be talented but his perception of him is clouded by tabloid bullcrap and false media reports.
    If he’s a friend of yours, he’ll certainly value your opinion and knowledge of the case, and he’ll also acknowledge that the topic is important to you without calling you an obsessed fan. Maybe invite him over and watch Square One together? Then let him ask questions, and take it from there.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

  3. #3
    Points: 26,658, Level: 97
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 692
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Anna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,551
    Points
    26,658
    Level
    97
    Thanks
    325
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 556 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    If you think he's open to seeing another point of view, casually suggest that he watch Square One. Tell him that you'd like to know what he thinks about it. This will encourage him, because it tells him that you value his opinion.
    If you think his mind is completely closed regarding his opinion about MJ, then there is no point pushing it. Not everyone is ready or willing to hear and consider information that contradicts their current beliefs. If this is the case then you just have to accept that he doesn't agree with you regarding MJ and focus on the things you have in common.

  4. #4
    Points: 1,407, Level: 21
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    47
    Points
    1,407
    Level
    21
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 63 Times in 23 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Without coming off as an "obsessed fan"?

    I was at a store earlier this week with a friend of mine who I have known for a few years. We were thumbing through the selection of vinyl albums they had and he came across a copy of MJ's Invincible album, and then he said something to the effect of "He was a talented musician but a horrible person". He didn't go into detail about any specific accuser or allegation, but mentioned something about "having shown pornography to children" and said that he is able to get away with more and buy his way out of legal issues because of his race, which struck me as kind of an odd thing to say as it generally tends to be the other way around.

    I know some people are set in their beliefs and I don't really want to stir up negativity with this person, but it was clear to me that they weren't very well educated about the facts of MJ's trials and it seems to me that this person likes his music and believes him to be talented but his perception of him is clouded by tabloid bullcrap and false media reports.
    I guess your point about not wanting to come across as an obsessed fan suggests that your friend is not that interested in having a proper conversation about the case?

    In that situation, I think it's a good idea to just plant a seed of doubt in their mind. The best one I think would be the 'train station' evidence. If I was in the same situation as you I would say to my friend "I don't believe a word of it. How can someone say they are abused as a child in a building that didn't exist until he was practically an adult".

    I would then direct the conversation in a more general direction and say "You know, I can't stand these people who would rather make money from making false allegations against celebrities, than do an honest days work".

  5. #5
    Points: 19,150, Level: 87
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,517
    Points
    19,150
    Level
    87
    Thanks
    1,341
    Thanked 3,560 Times in 1,621 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Without coming off as an "obsessed fan"?

    I was at a store earlier this week with a friend of mine who I have known for a few years. We were thumbing through the selection of vinyl albums they had and he came across a copy of MJ's Invincible album, and then he said something to the effect of "He was a talented musician but a horrible person". He didn't go into detail about any specific accuser or allegation, but mentioned something about "having shown pornography to children" and said that he is able to get away with more and buy his way out of legal issues because of his race, which struck me as kind of an odd thing to say as it generally tends to be the other way around.

    I know some people are set in their beliefs and I don't really want to stir up negativity with this person, but it was clear to me that they weren't very well educated about the facts of MJ's trials and it seems to me that this person likes his music and believes him to be talented but his perception of him is clouded by tabloid bullcrap and false media reports.
    Your friend is either a idiot or a bigot or both. His "logic" make no sense and if he is not open to hear facts, that proves he is what I say about him. Also, NO black person has ever been "blessed" to be set free due to his/her race by an ALL NON BLACK jury in a conservative city/town if there was an ounce of something showing guilt (blacks still catch it hard on circumstantial evidence). So for that jury even the 93 grand jury to side with MJ, it is because the EVIDENCE of innocence was overwhelming and they had no choice especially with the cameras/spotlight on them. I hate to bring up OJ's case up but since guiltiers want to bring OJ in to give example, OJ was even stalked. OJ was given a acquittal but then an ALL white jury came back to the civil to hold him liable which was RARE at that time when the accused win the criminal trial. Then OJ got locked up for 10 years for going to Vegas to get his own stuff with a gun (he was not on probation which would be understandable for him to serve time in what he did in Vegas BUT he was NOT on probation so he should not have serve time for the Vegas incident). Having that weapon on the charge he was accused, OJ should have got probation like most people with that kind of incident, but the "system" gave him time (wink, wink, to make him pay for what they THINK he did in 1994). So your friend comment about MJ race helped him, THAT IS BULLS***; if anything, it is because his accusers are white/non black why some are desperate to want to believe MJ is guilty despite the facts and the accusers are proven liars. Look how blacks are treated with cameras running and catching people doing and lying on blacks in 2020, so imagine the deal in 1993, 2005, etc
    Last edited by terrell; 14-11-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    Mike's PYT

  6. #6
    Points: 26,673, Level: 97
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    NatureCriminal7896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,719
    Points
    26,673
    Level
    97
    Thanks
    2,753
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,008 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    If you really love your friend and they love you you two just need to face you two disagree with each other. it's already a fact the Michael was/is innocent. if they can't accept that then just don't talk about Michael with them. but you two will have to respect one another.

    your are not a obsessed fan while their some that do exist. fans just want this to end because it's been going on for almost 30 years.

    right now people are protesting for BLM. people are tired of black people getting killed etc. same goes with this.



    a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

  7. #7
    Points: 9,234, Level: 64
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    wonderouzmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,195
    Points
    9,234
    Level
    64
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 746 Times in 359 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    I Just give up more. I let people believe what they want. The man was found innocent & the world still treated him & made him seem/ feel guilty so. Imo there's no point. You'll always love him. I think that's all that matters. You'll kill yourself trying to defend mj. Its way to complex

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to wonderouzmj For This Useful Post:


  9. #8
    Points: 5,567, Level: 48
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    218
    Points
    5,567
    Level
    48
    Thanks
    721
    Thanked 513 Times in 141 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    First thing I highlight is the fact that all accusers go after money. None go straight to the police. Then I ask what evidence have they actually seen. This is usually easy to dismiss as it’s the same rubbish that’s always bought up. Then I ask why the FBI found nothing. Finally I ask why he would think that I, as a father, would be a fan of someone that abuses children. I talk about Square One but most people I’ve spoken to would not watch it. Strangely they haven’t watched Leaving Neverland either. It’s just what they’ve seen in the media.

  10. #9
    Points: 15,885, Level: 81
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    26,710
    Points
    15,885
    Level
    81
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 740 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    Watch square one for a start. If ppl arent intrested in watching and reading the facts dont bother with them. Some just like to wind others up and troll them.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elusive moonwalker For This Useful Post:


  12. #10
    Points: 7,713, Level: 58
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    843
    Points
    7,713
    Level
    58
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 451 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    Quote Originally Posted by terrell View Post
    Your friend is either a idiot or a bigot or both. His "logic" make no sense and if he is not open to hear facts, that proves he is what I say about him. Also, NO black person has ever been "blessed" to be set free due to his/her race by an ALL NON BLACK jury in a conservative city/town if there was an ounce of something showing guilt (blacks still catch it hard on circumstantial evidence). So for that jury even the 93 grand jury to side with MJ, it is because the EVIDENCE of innocence was overwhelming and they had no choice especially with the cameras/spotlight on them. I hate to bring up OJ's case up but since guiltiers want to bring OJ in to give example, OJ was even stalked. OJ was given a acquittal but then an ALL white jury came back to the civil to hold him liable which was RARE at that time when the accused win the trial. Then OJ got locked up for 10 years for going to Vegas to get his own stuff with a gun (he was not on probation which would be understanding of him to serve time in what he did in Vegas but he was not on probation sohe should not have serve time for the Vegas incident). Having that weapon on the charge he was accused, OJ should have got probation like most people with that kind of incident, but the "system" gave him time (wink, wink, to make him pay for what they THINK he did in 1994). So your friend comment about MJ race helped him, THAT IS BULLS***; if anything, it is because his accusers are white/non black why some are desperate to want to believe MJ is guilty despite the facts and the accusers are proven liars. Look how blacks are treated with cameras running and catching people doing and lying on blacks in 2020, so image the deal in 1993, 2005, etc
    I AGREE 100% WITH EVERYTHING THAT YOU SAID. THANK YOU FOR NOT SUGARCOATING THE TRUTH.

    Btw, that “friend” needs some serious FACTS revealed to him or her. It sounds as if he/she has been completely brainwashed by lies and false information.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to somewhereinthedark For This Useful Post:


  14. #11
    Points: 26,673, Level: 97
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    NatureCriminal7896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,719
    Points
    26,673
    Level
    97
    Thanks
    2,753
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,008 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    If people not watching LN or square one they probably don't care. they probably never heard of Michael (probably young or living under a rock) or was never fans in the first place.
    Last edited by NatureCriminal7896; 14-11-2020 at 02:00 PM.



    a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

  15. #12
    Points: 19,150, Level: 87
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,517
    Points
    19,150
    Level
    87
    Thanks
    1,341
    Thanked 3,560 Times in 1,621 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    First thing I highlight is the fact that all accusers go after money. None go straight to the police. Then I ask what evidence have they actually seen. This is usually easy to dismiss as it’s the same rubbish that’s always bought up. Then I ask why the FBI found nothing. Finally I ask why he would think that I, as a father, would be a fan of someone that abuses children. I talk about Square One but most people I’ve spoken to would not watch it. Strangely they haven’t watched Leaving Neverland either. It’s just what they’ve seen in the media.
    Sound like they want to believe the lies for whatever reason (bigots, the accusers are white/non black and they want to believe a black man guilty, do not want to admit they were wrong, etc OR they are saying that to you because they think it will get under your skin).
    Mike's PYT

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to terrell For This Useful Post:


  17. #13
    Points: 939, Level: 16
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class500 Experience Points1 year registered
    TheThrillerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    44
    Points
    939
    Level
    16
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    I find it easy not even to engage people who believe that sort of sh*t just because I already know their "belief" or what they think they know, is just based off of what they've heard in passing. It's not rooted in any of their own research. The majority of society, especially in America, people are quicker to go with what everybody else is doing, regardless if that's what they want to do or not. In the past I've had people try to hate on me for liking Michael Jackson, which is crazy. Last time I had a "run-in" with someone like that was back in 2013. And it was actually my ex-girlfriend's sister.

  18. #14
    Points: 26,673, Level: 97
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    NatureCriminal7896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,719
    Points
    26,673
    Level
    97
    Thanks
    2,753
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,008 Posts

    Default Re: What is the best way to approach someone who believes the allegations and false rumors...

    People hate on Michael because he was a powerful black man and still powerful today. they just jealous. it's not michael fault he was talented and powerful. if they really wanna get on michael level work for it heck it don't even have to be music.



    a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •