Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I wonder if we are ever going to see the Man in the Mirror performance from United We Stand (2001)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: I wonder if we are ever going to see the Man in the Mirror performance from United We Stand (200

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Effect View Post
    Why wasn't it broadcasted on ABC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snek View Post
    I believe it was an exclusivity deal with whatever company aired the 30th Anniversary Shows that prevented this performance being shown.
    That was due to legal conflicts between two competing channels, ABC and CBS.

ABC aired the ‘United We Stand: What More Can I Give’ benefit concert at that time, but Michael Jackson had to cut his ‘Man In The Mirror’ performance from that ABC broadcast.

The reason (that he cut his performance from that ABC broadcast) was because the competing CBS channel had already signed an agreement to air in the same month (November) his 2001 MSG Anniversary Show.

There was a stipulation that these two competing channels could not air these two different performances of him so close in the same month.

His ‘Man In The Mirror’ performance on ABC was not re-scheduled to air later, thus it has remained shelved in ABC media archives until these days.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: I wonder if we are ever going to see the Man in the Mirror performance from United We Stand (200

In spite of the agreements made between him and CBS (and I guess ABC), I personally think it was an insult to Michael for withdrawing his solo performance from the show's broadcast given that he organized the event itself. Even if it may not be his strongest performance, it is still his last ever "live" performance of Man In The Mirror. Why would I not want to watch that?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Serious Effect For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,681 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by analogue View Post
    I don't think anyone has said the 2001 performance of MITM is the best performance of the song. It's just something that fans are interested in seeing
    Precisely. Some fans are hell bent on destroying MJs performances for no reason. Just enjoy them for what they are.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dam2040 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    That was due to legal conflicts between two competing channels, ABC and CBS.

ABC aired the ‘United We Stand: What More Can I Give’ benefit concert at that time, but Michael Jackson had to cut his ‘Man In The Mirror’ performance from that ABC broadcast.

The reason (that he cut his performance from that ABC broadcast) was because the competing CBS channel had already signed an agreement to air in the same month (November) his 2001 MSG Anniversary Show.

There was a stipulation that these two competing channels could not air these two different performances of him so close in the same month.

His ‘Man In The Mirror’ performance on ABC was not re-scheduled to air later, thus it has remained shelved in ABC media archives until these days.

So, in all this time ABC never tried to re-air this footage? Even when it was MJ everywhere for most of 2009? What a shame.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mjfan05 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 696 Posts

I would love nothing more than to see a release of Man In The Mirror from 2001. It is by far my favourite performance of Michael and was my highlight of both Bad and Dangerous Tours. Usually, I am not a fan of lip-synced performances, but I can make exceptions for Man In The Mirror.

It's a shame that Michael Jackson's very last and antepenultimate performances aren't available in full. For someone who is the greatest performer of all time, you wouldn't expect that to be the case.