What era was Michael at his most confident?

analogue

Proud Member
I think it was the BAD era. During that time he gave off this aura of ''Yeah, I know I'm awesome''

It was both the BAD era and also the Dangerous era until the allegations struck in August (1993).

Some examples of that Dangerous era that he was at his most confident:

His ‘Jam’ live performances during the Dangerous Tour (and in the Super Bowl event), and especially the way he was catapulted to the stage and he freezed at the beginning.

His Panther Dance at the end of his ‘Black Or White’ music video.

His dancing and generally all his moves in the LA Gear 1990 Commercial.

The way he dances and interacts with Naomi Campbell in his ‘In The Closet’ music video.

The way he marched with the Army or the Police in his promotional videos (in the countries where he was about to perform for the Dangerous Tour).

One of those things only Michael himself really knew.

From the psychological point of view, usually the more expressively one demonstrates power and confidence on the outside, the less confidence there really is inside. So it could also be speculated that Michael possessed the most (natural type of) confidence during the Off The Wall and Thriller days, simply because it seemed so overdone in the following decades.

But after the success of Thriller, as he started to thrive to become an untouchable global pop god, it all became part of the act. So I don't think it can really be analysed by looking at rehearsed performances and promotional stunts, that only give away how confident he wanted to APPEAR (not actually felt).

As Taj Jackson also recently said, Michael was always shy in small groups of people that he didn't know well. He said Michael was most confident when performing, the bigger the audience, the better.

Did certain events (his change of looks, allegations, death threats, tabloid propaganda constantly out to taint him as wack etc) have an impact on how confident he felt in public? Likely. Who would not be affected by that.

Last edited:
Bad era no doubt. Michael was at his peak creatively and he was still top of the game commercially, Mike had the world at his feet

See Smooth Criminal short film, the definition of cool, calm and confident

I will also go with BAD - from 1985-1993 - MJ was on top of everything - and he knew it.

BAD - so many songs written (and produced) solely by MJ. - later on (Invincible) MJ did not write as many songs for the album himself.

BAD tour was pure magic in every sense - and MJ owned the stage, the crowd - everything. MJ did Moonwalker, Grammy performance (TWYMMF and MITM) perfect.

OTW and Thriller was was catapulted him to fame and power - but with BAD he felt comfortable with it - and like one wrote above, his attitude was so powerful and really said it all. "I'm in control!"

Most confident? It has to be 1983 and 1984. 1983 because of the huge success of Thriller and especially Motown 25(Billie Jean) and early 1984 around the time he went to the Grammy awards. Just look at this interview. I have never, ever see him this confident before or after

Imo Michael confidence was at it's peak during The Victory tour. It's just something else whenver I watch a show from Victory. He was also interacting more with the fans and improvising more. He worde different clothes, wore shades on stage and even played the piano on some concerts, although it was more for fun.

In personal life? Bad era, I think. He knew what he had accomplished and he knew where he wanted to go and was actively pursuing it. His interviews in this time ooze empowered control and confidence. Nothing like what you see him be like after 1993.

On stage, he's always been boss.

My feelings go towards the thriller era 83-84.
For Example his acceptance speeches for the grammies for example are playful and confident. Makes some moves when entering the stage, plays with the audience (promised them to take of sunglasses)
He looked both super confident in public and on stage and he was less of a mystery.

Imo Michael confidence was at it's peak during The Victory tour. It's just something else whenver I watch a show from Victory. He was also interacting more with the fans and improvising more. He worde different clothes, wore shades on stage and even played the piano on some concerts, although it was more for fun.
played the piano?

JichaelMackson;4305666 said:
played the piano?

I can’t remember which concert it was but in one concert he was slamming the piano pressing on different keyes, obviously for fun not being serious but that has to be the only time I’ve ever seen MJ touch an instrument on stage.

I'm gonna say off the wall, thriller, bad, and the beginning of dangerous. i'll say he is his most happiest during the off the wall and thriller era. bad he was still happy but after the pepsi accident that happen a few years ago then the press was also making a fool of him. the dangerous era was okay until the lies came out. in my opinion michael wasn't himself after dangerous.

history and invincible was okay but you can tell he wasn't himself.

I'm gonna say off the wall, thriller, bad, and the beginning of dangerous. i'll say he is his most happiest during the off the wall and thriller era. bad he was still happy but after the pepsi accident that happen a few years ago then the press was also making a fool of him. the dangerous era was okay until the lies came out. in my opinion michael wasn't himself after dangerous.

history and invincible was okay but you can tell he wasn't himself.

I think the pepsi accident had an profound impact on him beyond our comprehension. In many ways that was when things started to go wrong, imo.

i think the pepsi accident is one of reasons with things went wrong. but it got much worst in the dangerous era after the lies came out. michael started calling himself sick because he was depressed. :(

both events was bad (no pun) but i think being accurse of hurting children is much worst in my opinion. here we are 2020 and it's still going on after almost 30 years and it's still happening even though he not with us anymore. smh.

Last edited:
Definitely going to go with the early 80's when he was less reclusive and out and about. Where you'd see him attend red carpets, make stage appearances with Diana Ross, James Brown. I think he was still confident later on but at the same time I think with his stardom he was really confident and most at ease in a professional setting where he was performing otherwise I'm not so sure.

Back