Do you think that Michael Jackson’s 2005 trial should have been televised?

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
If it was televised, then public would have seen in real time what both sides (prosecution, defense) were saying inside the courtroom, and they would also have observed their body language.

Also, public would not have relied so much on media’s reports about the court activity, knowing that certain media have specific agendas and try to portray the court proceedings in their favourable way.

Additionally, the court participants (witnesses, lawyers, etc) would have performed in a more professional way, because they would have been aware that the court proceedings are being televised.

Moreover, his trial was described by many as the trial of the century, and public would have been very eager to watch it.

There is also the notion that the courtroom should be a public forum, thus it should let public be aware of what is going on inside.

On the other hand, as Judge Rodney Melville put it, if that trial was televised, then it would become a “circus”, implying that this trial would turn into a soap opera with drama elements for the people to watch it in their living rooms, so he refused to let TV cameras inside the courtroom.

Discuss.

No, because viewers could have made voice and /or image recordings, and edited them to their beliefs and preferences.

I can't imagine how complicated it would be if there were hundreds of 'edited' versions of the trial today on YT and podcasts, each arguing that their own version was the 'real' one.

No. The transcripts were enough for us. Anything else would have just been sick entertainment and would have done more damage as the media would only air prosecution testimony

I prefer that way that they didn’t televised the trial. I watched the re-enactment of it and that was enough for me.

I remember waiting for him to arrive - so I'd be setting the alarm Clock because it would be around 3.30./4pm when he'd come to santa Maria. The time zone was different it was morning for him there. I remember that god awful weather channel music. Had to watch thhe coverage on the American cnn news channel and swap over to sky news andd see the reinactment with Edward. because that was all you had back then. And those mj "blast" texts? (They were like an early version of tweets - come to think of it) - and that's it.

The trial actually was televised, sort of.

I remember the E! network had a TV show where they would re-enact the events of every day of the trial based on the actual court transcripts, interlaced with commentary by legal experts. They weren't "legally" allowed to say Gavin Arvizo's name (even though it was common knowledge among the fans even back then) and the actor who portrayed Michael was the same impersonator from Scary Movie 3.

I watched it every night before I went to bed for school the next day. I was 10 at the time and was bullied for being an MJ fan who happened to be around the same age as Gavin was. I didn't become comfortable with telling others about my fandom until after June 25, 2009 when the world miraculously forgot all about the events of 2005.

The trial actually was televised, sort of.

I remember the E! network had a TV show where they would re-enact the events of every day of the trial based on the actual court transcripts, interlaced with commentary by legal experts. They weren't "legally" allowed to say Gavin Arvizo's name (even though it was common knowledge among the fans even back then) and the actor who portrayed Michael was the same impersonator from Scary Movie 3.

I watched it every night before I went to bed for school the next day. I was 10 at the time and was bullied for being an MJ fan who happened to be around the same age as Gavin was. I didn't become comfortable with telling others about my fandom until after June 25, 2009 when the world miraculously forgot all about the events of 2005.

It was suddenly cool to like Michael after June 25th, I remember that day clearly. people who shat on Michael's name daily were suddenly fans, however after a year or so they returned to their old selves :doh:

It was suddenly cool to like Michael after June 25th, I remember that day clearly. people who shat on Michael's name daily were suddenly fans, however after a year or so they returned to their old selves :doh:
Same here in Memphis. My whole life was like that until June 25th. & then questioning me asking me do i think it's true & telling me im star crazy. Smh

the actor who portrayed Michael was the same impersonator from Scary Movie 3.

Are you actually serious? I know everything was off limits when it came to MJ but I did not know that. Who would hire that guy for anything.

Robbsaber01;4307061 said:
Are you actually serious? I know everything was off limits when it came to MJ but I did not know that. Who would hire that guy for anything.

Many of us knew all along about Edward Moss, I hate him for his impersonation of Michael in a very disrespectful way, but at least he played Michael more seriously on the re-enactment. But yeah, someone else more suitable over Edward Moss, either E’Casanova or even Navi would’ve take the job for the re-enactment.

Back