Which Dangerous version do you like better?

lubyss

Proud Member
As the title of the thread say, which dangerous performance do you like better? Please don´t judge cause of Michaels energy or good dancing, but judge on the structure of the song, cause every version is unique... So only the strucutre of the song. For me it is 2009 version.

93 is good, I like the bridge.
95-97 is a standard one...
99 woa... The introduction of the song is great, but I don´t feel the dance routine between verses with the hat and tie...
2002... perfect to me. The 99 intro is here and than it is the classic 97 version...
2009... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNHzaFyNA1g (starts about 2:10) This is heaven to me... Great intro, perfect atmosphere building and the psycho samples... Oh my god...

What about you?

Last edited:
Re: Which Dangerous version dou you like better?

I love the 1999 version. The buildup to the chorus is so good :D

I similarly prefer the 2002 version because it combines the '99 intro and then moves straight into the '95 version. I also love the red shirt MJ started wearing in '99 :love: My favourite performance of the track ever would be '95 Wetten Dass...?!

Would have been interesting to see how Dangerous would have played out during the This is It shows!

1993 because it kept the bridge from the album version.

1995 and 2002 are my favorite. The 1993 version was great too but I don't like some of the dance moves he did during the pre-chorus and chorus. I'm glad they got removed.

Performance-wise, 1995 Wetten Dass is the best. MJ was on fire, his moves were totally on point, he did not waste any single beat. For example, in other performances, when he took off his jacket, there's always one beat where he didn't do any moves, but at Wetten Dass, he threw his hat at that beat. Also in some performances, he messed up the cigarette part a little bit, but in Wetten Dass, that part was perfect. That performance can be directly used as MV.

Arrangement-wise, 2002 is the best imo too. I like the design where dancers crawled up the stage in 1999.

What shirt do you all prefer. The red shirt or the white shirt?

99 version is cool but it makes it seem too theatrical as if it is in a play instead of a concert. I’m not saying that’s bad, but in concerts, 93 and 95-97 versions are more appropriate. Both of those versions are really cool, especially the extra elements in 93, but to me, 95-97 is just too classic forget

93 is my favourite version, because he performs the song without any snippets from other songs. I love the dance that he does during the second verse. Sadly, he dropped the second verse after 93, which means that he also dropped the second verse dance routine.

I also do love the other performances of Dangerous, but I always felt that the Smooth Criminal part that was introduced starting in 95 was pointless, especially when Smooth Criminal was performed as a whole song on its own. If he wanted to include a snippet of a song, he should have included a song that wasn't performed live.

I was blown away by the performance of Dangerous at the 1995 MTV Video Music Awards when I first watched it, but I was even more blown away by the performances of it at the 1993 American Music Awards and 1999 concerts for that little MJ and Friends tour. If I had to prefer one over the other, the 1993 performance of the song at this awards event and on the Dangerous Tour is the one I enjoy the most. Although, to me, the one at the MTV VMAs in 1995 may as well be one of the best of all time.

Performance-wise, 1995 Wetten Dass is the best. MJ was on fire, his moves were totally on point, he did not waste any single beat. For example, in other performances, when he took off his jacket, there's always one beat where he didn't do any moves, but at Wetten Dass, he threw his hat at that beat. Also in some performances, he messed up the cigarette part a little bit, but in Wetten Dass, that part was perfect. That performance can be directly used as MV.

Arrangement-wise, 2002 is the best imo too. I like the design where dancers crawled up the stage in 1999.

I agree, Wetten Dass was so energetic and he was thriving off of the audiences excitement and energy. I was there that night and it was unbelievable! You can tell he really enjoyed this performance and audience response right after the "Get the point, good, let's dance!" part when the audience sings along and MJ seems to have a smile on his face!

I really like the material and look of the red shirt!

I was blown away by the performance of Dangerous at the 1995 MTV Video Music Awards when I first watched it, but I was even more blown away by the performances of it at the 1993 American Music Awards and 1999 concerts for that little MJ and Friends tour. If I had to prefer one over the other, the 1993 performance of the song at this awards event and on the Dangerous Tour is the one I enjoy the most. Although, to me, the one at the MTV VMAs in 1995 may as well be one of the best of all time.

I agree with you. Hence my signature.

I like the red shirt more. I wonder if he would have had green shirt for This Is It? It would have made sense because of the stage colors. I hope we see more rehearsal footage at some point:
23055e1b6bde0a6011dba8e198b79744.jpg

did they actually rehearse dangerous for TII?
and did MJ the full dance routine?

did they actually rehearse dangerous for TII?
and did MJ the full dance routine?

He did but we don't know how much he danced when rehearsing it. There are other photos with that silver jacket and there is also a short clip of him doing a spin at 1:19 in the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUniG6F_RzY

The 1995 VMA performance is perfect in my opinion. The moves, the music and the presence. It's the pinnacle of Dangerous live
1999 was my next favourite, I like the shake up to choreography and some of the new sound effects added. Also MJ looks sharp
The 1993 was good but I think it looked raw and unpolished. For me some of the moves didn't fit the music
The 2002 version was special because it was nice seeing MJ back performing again more than anything else. He wasn't at his best but he was still great
Finally the HIStory Tour version, it just looked uninspired and lacklustre for most of the tour. I was glad Mike including it though, it's one of his best live songs

I do prefer the white shirt over the red because the dancers and Michael look more cool, plus the red shirt always looked tight. Both were great though. It was always best when Mike kept his hat on as well, throw the jacket away but not the hat.

Great thread idea mate, I love Dangerous

I always loved the fact that Michael's wife was watching him perform Dangerous at the 1995 MTV Awards. Despite their marital problems at the time she must have been incredibly proud to see her hubby do his thing.

Performance wise I think he topped himself at Wetten, Dass?! I read in Black&White magazine that Michael and his dancers were thrilled with the Wetten, Dass performance and considered it the best at the time. The delivery is just so tight and the German audience was so appreciative. Good times.

Yes, very good - and happy times...
Yesterday I felt inspired to watch the ´Wetten Dass?´- performance again. I want to repeat it: I watch any and all of Michaels performances very rarely, because each and every is so unique and precious for me... This special and breathtaking performance gave me goosebumps again, after experiencing it 25 years ago. And I had tears in my eyes because of its absolute greatness and perfection.

do we have any info about how a dangerous music video would look like?
it was planned as a single at least

2009 Dangerous had sounds from Morphine in the beginning. I do not recall if the versions online are identical but it for sure was simular. I always assumed the green lights from the pics we saw with the electrical currents for that portion which I could be wrong.

For sure though, it did indeed have the sounds from Morphine.

I imagine the Dangerous rehearsal footage from TII is pretty lacklustre. The routine exhausted him in 2002 let alone the condition he was in mid June 2009.

As with any TII footage not in the film, if it was genuinely good it would have been in the film. They were under strict court orders to only show footage that portrays him positively.

rumandraisin;4307227 said:
I imagine the Dangerous rehearsal footage from TII is pretty lacklustre. The routine exhausted him in 2002 let alone the condition he was in mid June 2009.

You can´t judge the 2002 performance like that... It was only 1 performance, not the tour. Was he exhausted, maybe ye, but jusdt because he wasn´t preparing for it like he was preparing for every tour... And don´t forget he did this pefromance twice in a row....

And that's all it is....."imagining". We have no way of knowing for certain.
I think more TII footage would be fascinating to see - I hope we do see it, one day.

I'd say MTV 95 as well.
They are all nice to watch, but this one is still special to me. Back then (pre-YouTube) the AMA 93 performance was not really available to watch for anyone outside of the USA. I only saw pictures of it in the Black & White magazine. So MTV 95 was the first time it hit worldwide and he was on fire. Camera, lighting were all perfect as well.

I remember the live broadcast on MTV had the dry "studio" audio of this Dangerous remix. In the polished reboardcast it had more of the audience noise mixed in.

do we have any info about how a dangerous music video would look like?
it was planned as a single at least

Nothing known about this. But probably just a montage of Dangerous Tour footage. Similar to what's included at the end of the 'Dangerous The Short Films' release. I guess he would not really have had the time to shoot a fullflegded music video for it. Back then he was also in the middle of the (unfinished) Is It Scary / early Ghosts filming and touring etc.

Last edited:
Back