Dr Dre & Mj

wonderouzmj

Proud Member
Has anybody heard the story of mj wanting 6 of dre's beats? It was said that dre wanted to sample b.j & he would've been the 1st rapper ever to do that. Mj told him it was cool but he had to give him 6beats & not recieve any publishing but dre & jimmy Levine (i think thats his name) said no deal & thus no history.

https://youtu.be/aCX7r2t6z6Q

Last edited:
I never heard of this, but I do remember Dr. Dre gave an interview years ago where he said he turned down requests to work with Michael Jackson & Madonna (not on the same song). I don't remember the exact quotes, but it had something to do with Dre thinking they would be hard to work with. Like they would be demanding divas or something like that. Dre thought he would not have much input and he didn't like to work that way. I think there's an old thread about it here somewhere.

If I recall correctly, Dr. Dre was asked to produce some songs for Invincible, but Dre said he preferred to work with up-and-coming artists. I've never heard the story about "Billie Jean" sampling!

DuranDuran;4308124 said:
I never heard of this, but I do remember Dr. Dre gave an interview years ago where he said he turned down requests to work with Michael Jackson & Madonna (not on the same song). I don't remember the exact quotes, but it had something to do with Dre thinking they would be hard to work with. Like they would be demanding divas or something like that. Dre thought he would not have much input and he didn't like to work that way. I think there's an old thread about it here somewhere.

Dr. Dre stated that the reason for turning down proposals to work with Michael Jackson (in the early 00’s) was because the rapper liked working with new artists or people that he worked with in the past, and also because he liked to develop new artists from the ground up.

Not because he thought that artists like Michael Jackson or Madonna would be hard to work with, like they would be demanding divas, or because he thought that he would not have much input and he did not like to work that way.

… Somebody approached me about working with Michael Jackson, and I did say no because I like working with new artists or people that I've worked with in the past … I can develop them from the ground up…” (Dr. Dre, MTV Radio, 2001)

So, Dr. Dre instead of producing Michael Jackson’s ‘Invincible’ album at that time, he decided to produce the ‘Truthfully Speaking’ debut studio album which was released in 2002 by the newly-emerged American R&B female singer Truth Hurts (who is also known as Shari Watson).

mj_frenzy;4308150 said:
Dr. Dre stated that the reason for turning down proposals to work with Michael Jackson (in the early 00’s) was because the rapper liked working with new artists or people that he worked with in the past, and also because he liked to develop new artists from the ground up.

Not because he thought that artists like Michael Jackson or Madonna would be hard to work with, like they would be demanding divas, or because he thought that he would not have much input and he did not like to work that way.

“… Somebody approached me about working with Michael Jackson, and I did say no because I like working with new artists or people that I've worked with in the past … I can develop them from the ground up…” (Dr. Dre, MTV Radio, 2001)

So, Dr. Dre instead of producing Michael Jackson’s ‘Invincible’ album at that time, he decided to produce the ‘Truthfully Speaking’ debut studio album which was released in 2002 by the newly-emerged American R&B female singer Truth Hurts (who is also known as Shari Watson).
Isn't that kinda implying the same thing? A new artist he can develop from the ground up, which could mean he can tell them what to do with lesser resistance than a more established veteran artist would.

This combo would have been great. I can just hear some hard core MJ vocals with Dre’s murder beats. Would have been epic.

It must have been a different reason. Dre has worked with established artists in the past, such as Mary J. Blige and Toni Braxton, so I don't buy it

Back